He stopped to change her tire — then she helped save his life

Valleyboy

Grumpy Old Man..
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/

Canadian helps U.S. motorist change tire. Minutes later, same motorist saves Canadian’s life

You just never know when you’re going to need help in return for a good deed. For Victor Giesbrecht, it was almost immediately.

That’s because minutes after helping two women change a tire on the side of a Wisconsin highway, the 61-year-old Winnipeg resident suffered a heart attack. The women’s help, including a quick call to emergency services and some basic CPR, helped save his life.

“We’ll forever be in their debt,” Giesbrecht’s wife, Ann, said of the pair.

The two women, Wisconsin resident Sara Berg, 40, and her cousin Lisa Meier, were driving home Saturday night on Interstate 94 just east of the city of Menomonie when a “God awful” noise signalled a flat tire.

Berg told the Star that she pulled over and called for help. That’s when a Ford pickup truck, driven by Giesbrecht, stopped to help.

Without any formal introduction, Giesbrecht grabbed his tools and set to work, changing the front passenger tire on Berg’s Plymouth Breeze. When he was done, they shook hands and Berg and Meier offered their thanks.

According to Berg, Giesbrecht then said: “Somebody up above put me in the right place at the right time.”

“Thank God for you,” she remembers telling him. “Thanks for stopping.”

Giesbrecht drove off, and Berg soon followed. But a couple of kilometres down the road, Berg noticed Giesbrecht’s pickup at the side of the highway.

As she pulled over she saw Giesbrecht’s wife waving her arms at passing traffic.

Sensing that Giesbrecht was having a heart attack, Berg — a home-care worker with the Mayo Clinic Health System — climbed in the truck and started CPR. Meier called for help.

Giesbrecht had no vital signs when emergency personnel arrived, said Wisconsin State Patrol Sgt. Steve Tape.

Two Dunn County deputies had an automated external defibrillator in their car and delivered three shocks to Giesbrecht that restarted his heart, Tape said.

A medical helicopter landed on the interstate to transport him to hospital in Eau Claire, Wisc. Giesbrecht arrived in critical condition but was listed in serious condition Monday, said his attending cardiologist, Dr. Regis Fernandes. He confirmed Giesbrecht suffered cardiac arrest.

Fernandes said the chances of surviving cardiac arrest outside of a hospital are very slim.

:praying:

Wow, that really made me smile.

synchronicity is at work wheither I see it or not. This just reminds me of the timing of the universe.

Winnipeg man reunites with U.S. woman who saved his life

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...unites-with-u-s-woman-who-saved-his-life?bn=1

Victor Giesbrecht, 61, expressed his gratitude to Sara Berg, the Eau Claire, Wis., woman who performed CPR on him just a few kilometres further along the Interstate 94 from where he had helped her to change a tire.

EAU CLAIRE, WIS.—A Winnipeg man who had a heart attack but was kept alive by a stranger just minutes after stopping to help her along a Wisconsin interstate has been tearfully reunited with his rescuer and the first responders who helped saved his life.

Victor Giesbrecht, 61, expressed his gratitude to Sara Berg, the Eau Claire, Wis., woman who performed CPR on him just a few kilometres further along the Interstate 94 from where he had helped her to change a tire.

“He said ‘thank you’ and we hugged, then we both started crying,” Berg told the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram.

First responders also attended the reunion at Giesbrecht’s room at Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire.

Giesbrecht, who was being released Thursday, still seemed to be taken aback to be the centre of all the attention.

“I’m just a general old joe, you know,” he said by telephone from his hospital room.

“To have so much attention and so many people to care for me is just overwhelming. I always like to be the caregiver. I’m not used to being taken care of.”

This is such a great story, I needed this today. Thank you for reminding me about all the good in the world!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back