1110 users online (178 members and 932 guests)  

Websleuths News

Devil was in the detail for Giotto as art restorers discover hidden satanic smile...

Devil was in the detail for Giotto as art restorers discover hidden satanic smile in famous 13th century fresco

Art restorers have discovered the figure of a devil hidden in the clouds of one of the most famous frescos by Giotto in the Basilica of St Francis in Assisi.

The devil was hidden in the details of clouds at the top of fresco number 20 in the cycle of the scenes in the life and death of St Francis painted by Giotto in the 13th century.

The discovery was made by Italian art historian Chiara Frugone. It shows a profile of a figure with a hooked nose, a sly smile, and dark horns hidden among the clouds in the panel of the scene depicting the death of St Francis....

The famous fresco by Giotto in the Basilica of St Francis in Assisi - the devil is hidden in the clouds in the panel of the scene depicting the death of St Francis

The satanic face with crooked nose, sly smile and horns was spotted by art restorers working on one of the world's most famous frescos, by Giotto in the Basilica of St Francis in Assisi

The devil was painted by innovator Giotto in fresco number 20 in the cycle of the scenes in the life and death of St Francis

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1dCA1Boez

I see the profile but where are the horns supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    I see the profile but where are the horns supposed to be?
    At the top of the head there is a wisp of cloud and then to the left of that another wisp of cloud. I had a hard time finding them at first too.

I don't see horns either.

Wonder if this is the profile of the artist as was a popular thing to do for many centuries. Or if it is just supposed to be the devil, given that it is a cloud? I never really studied much about Giotto as he was not one of my favorites.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.