1224 users online (357 members and 867 guests)  

Websleuths News

Exclamation EAST COAST - Vermont, New Hampshire, Blue Ridge Parkway,Va. ect..rapist serial killer

Vermont and New Hampshire;
    Stabbing victim IDs attacker years later: Was he a serial killer?..Michael Nicholaou

Could this man be the Blue Ridge parkway rapist?

Michael Andrew Nicholaou

Third victim dies in murder-suicide

Florida slayings reopen cold case

Authorities investigate whether man was involved in more deaths.

ST. PETERSBURG - A murder-suicide in Florida has rekindled interest in a series of unsolved murders along the Connecticut River Valley that separates New Hampshire and Vermont.

Michael Nicholaou shot his estranged wife and stepdaughter before killing himself New Year's Eve 2005, authorities said. Lynn-Marie Carty, a retired Vermont criminal profiler and a New Hampshire cold case detective recognized Nicholaou's name and started investigating, the St. Petersburg Times reported Sunday.

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    It would be good for Honaker if the DNA could match that of Nicholaou. One of the articles says that many still believe he was the rapist despite that not being his DNA. The rape victim still says he was the rapist.

Interesting stories Dark_Shadows.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. This one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by tennessee View Post
    It would be good for Honaker if the DNA could match that of Nicholaou. One of the articles says that many still believe he was the rapist despite that not being his DNA. The rape victim still says he was the rapist.

Interesting stories Dark_Shadows.
    Hello Tennessee,
    Thank-you for taking the time to read the articles.

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

NH - Connecticut River Valley Killer (1980s)

The "Connecticut River Valley Killer" refers to an unidentified serial killer believed responsible for a series of similar knife murders mostly in and around Claremont, New Hampshire, and the Connecticut River Valley, primarily in the 1980s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connect..._Valley_Killer

Victims and suspects at link.
    Last edited by bessie; 10-06-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: repaired link

There was a book written several years ago called The Shadow of Death about these murderers. Just wanted to post it in case anyone is interested. It's by Philip E. Ginsburg.

The segment on Unsolved Mysteries of the Jane Boroski attack is one of the scariest things I have ever seen.

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/01/27/Li...in_Conne.shtml

old article: By Ben Mongtomery, Times Staff Writer
    Published January 27, 2008

New interest in Connecticut River Valley serial killings
    A missing woman. A murderous husband. A man with a long-kept secret. A St. Petersburg investigator is still on the trail.

Anna Agnew's sister, Barbara, was likely the victim of a serial killer who stalked the Connecticut River Valley in the 1980s, slaughtering six young women, maybe more, and dumping their bodies in the bucolic borderlands between Vermont and New Hampshire.

The man was never caught.

Dark Minds on ID

Link

THE VALLEY KILLER
    Wednesday, January 25th, 10pm

The Connecticut River winds lazily through the small border towns of Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire. It's a tranquil place… beautiful, peaceful… where people still stop and lend a hand to a stranger.

But for some, it is a Valley of Death. And for one man, it is his hunting grounds. It's been over 20 years, but New England is still haunted by THE VALLEY KILLER.

Between 1978 and 1988, seven women are snatched from lonely roadside locations — jogging, hitchhiking, stopping at a pay phone, or getting a soda from a vending machine. Each one is brutally murdered; stabbed multiple times in what look like fits of rage, their bodies often left in wooded areas, sometimes side by side.

Who is this predator? And why does he kill? True crime author M. William Phelps seeks answers from a woman who survived the serial killer's brutal attack — and may be able to identify a shocking new person of interest.

To build a portrait of this monster, Phelps turns to master profiler John Kelly, and Kelly's secret weapon — a convicted killer code-named "13", a Dark Mind who knows just what drives a man to take another human life.
    Aside from the fact that I think the actual program is nothing special, the cases they profiling are among the most intriguing unsolved mysteries, as it were.

Something I made note of though, the lone survivor of the Connecticut Valley Killer (Jane Boroski), has again identified yet another person as the man that attacked her in 1988.

Four years ago, on an episode of THS Investigates (on E!), she identified Michael Nicholaou as her attacker. On this show, she was shown a photograph of this informants father and said it was the most visceral reaction she had had, to date, and now claims this NEW suspect was her attacker.

I wonder if police ever completed DNA tests on Nicholaou that were being conducted in 2008/9? As I recall, it was thought that there perhaps was some DNA evidence by which LE could exclude or include a suspect.

The mystery goes on...

Looks like you all may have some sleuthing to do!

This guy lived in the area and was born approximately around 1960, so in '78 he would have been 18. The woman he's now accused of murdering was killed in '86. He did leave the area in January of '88 and of all places, was caught in the area I now live in. Thank goodness he's behind bars!

Now, are there any other cases connected?

Time will tell!

fwiw,
    fran

VT - DNA evidence solves '86 strangulation murder of golf pro Sarah Hunter: LE - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    VT - DNA evidence solves '86 strangulation murder of golf pro Sarah Hunter: LE
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ered-1986.html

Connecticut River Valley Killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by bessie; 10-06-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: repaired links

Suspects

As someone who's never believed Michael Nicholau responsible for these murders and that the evidence for his involvement is extraordinarily faulty, it's disheartening to see that his guilt has become, to the internet at least, a foregone conclusion, especially when there's no shortage of suspects. Since it's on my mind and I've been doing some reading, I thought I'd make a list of lesser-known persons of interest:

Paul Oakes: scrapyard worker and local handyman from West Hartford, VT with a criminal history dating back to 1973 when he was arrested for statutory rape. I believe he was named as the suspect "Henry Barker" in the book Shadow of Death, first looked at for the murder of Barbara Agnew. (He worked as a part-time snowplow operator and was clearing roads on the night of Agnew's abduction, which occurred during a blizzard.) Committed suicide in 2010 after allegedly sexually assaulting a woman.

"Richard Bordeau": Clairemont eccentric whose real name I don't know. Suffered from mental disturbances consistent with autism spectrum diagnosis, accused of stalking behavior by several local women. Allegedly owned a knife collection. I don't consider him a serious suspect.

Delbert Tallman/Albert Sargent: Tallman had deep ties to the CT Valley, living in Clairemont for a time. Confessed to the 1984 murder of Heidi Martin in Hartland, VT. At trial, he recanted on the stand. His defense counsel made the case that Tallman, who was mildly retarded, was actually a witness to Martin's murder rather than the perpetrator. Specifically, they accused 45-year-old Albert Sargent, who allegedly confessed to members of his family, had a history of sexual misconduct, and supposedly had inside knowledge of the crime. (Curiously enough, he explained this knowledge as being the result of psychic abilities on his part. There was a suspect in the Lynda Moore murder, which is occasionally listed in this series, who popped up on police radar when he started talking about his own psychic connection to the crime. It's unknown whether Sargent was this man.) Albert Sargent maintained his alibi and was never charged. Tallman was acquitted and later went on to commit numerous sex offenses in Florida.

David Morrison: Former gas station attendant briefly charged in the 1986 cold case murder of golf pro Sarah Hunter in Manchester, NH. Charges were later withdrawn, but Morrison remains in prison for attempted murder/rape/kidnapping. Unlike the other CT Valley killings, Hunter was strangled, rather than stabbed. I believe it unlikely that Morrison was responsible for any of the other murders.

Howard Godfrey: Violent sexual offender and possible serial killer linked to the murder of hiker Patricia Scoville in 1991. Scoville's murder has some parallels of the 1978 murder of Cathy Millican, believed by many to the be the first of the CT River Valley killings. However, I don't see any indication that Godfrey ever used a knife and he was situated in Stowe, which is a bit too far west. He was probably not involved.

Gary Westover and Co.: Westover, a paraplegic and former drug dealer from Grafton, NH confessed on his deathbed in 1997 to involvement with the murder of Barbara Agnew. Westover claimed that he and three friends got high, drove to Vermont, abducted Agnew, killed her in their van, and dumped the body. The names of these men have not been made public.

Claude Moulton/Larry Moulton: Claude Moulton, a local business owner with a long history of domestic violence and statutory rape was accused by his ex-con brother Larry of involvement in the 2004 disappearance of Maura Murray from a roadside in Haverhill, NH. The claim was that Claude killed Maura with a knife and a subsequent search of his home aided by cadaver dogs yielded hits for human remains. Larry later died of cancer. His obituary revealed deep family ties to the Clairemont area.

Some thoughts:
    Several of the POI scenarios listed above involve more than one person. The assumption, during the investigation of these murders, was that a single offender was involved. However, in at least two cases, there were eyewitnesses corroborating the involvement of at least two men. Specifically, Bernice Courtemanche was last seen getting into a vehicle with two men, none of whom have ever come forward. Witnesses also reported seeing a woman matching Barbara Agnew's description being forced into a van at a rest stop on the day of her disappearance. (These witnesses, who were later discounted on account of timeline issues, essentially support Gary Westover's story.) Delbert Tallman's initial confession to the murder of Heidi Martin and subsequent accusations against Albert Sargent also beg the question: what, exactly, was the connection between these two alleged sex offenders? Could they, perhaps, have been working in concert? In fact, the only crime in the CT River Valley series where the evidence is emphatic that only one man was involved is the attempted murder of Jane Boroski in Swanzey, NH, and her assault was radically different in that there was no abduction and no attempt to secure the scene/hide the body (the assailant didn't even stick around to make sure Jane was dead). It was sloppy to the point of being the exact opposite of the initial murders in and around Clairemont. My contention is that we're perhaps looking at something akin to the Hillside Stranglings, a case that was only broken once Kenneth Bianchi, the younger, more impulsive partner, "went solo" up in Bellingham, WA and left behind a disorganized, evidence-rich crime scene that was immediately linked back to him.
    Last edited by Pettibon Junction; 02-24-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    "There are such devils."
    -The Pledge