1189 users online (192 members and 997 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Daisyjane is offline "All the clouds are clearing, and I think we're over the storm."

Venezuela - Wilson Ramos, 24, kidnapped 9 Nov 2011

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-10-10-01-06

snippets:
    The 24-year-old Venezuelan player, who had just finished his rookie season, was seized from his home by kidnappers on Wednesday night.

"The abductors haven't made contact with the family or with anyone," said Domingo Alvarez, vice president of the Venezuelan Professional Baseball League, in a telephone interview. "We're worried."

Ramos was taken away in an SUV by four armed men from his home in Santa Ines, spokeswoman Katherine Vilera of his Venezuelan team, the Aragua Tigers, said on her official Twitter account.

A person close to Ramos' family, who asked not to be quoted by name out of safety concerns, said the catcher was at home with his father and brothers when several men "entered the house and took him away."

No new info on whereabouts. Here's a tweet from StL. Post-Dispatch sportswriter Joe Strauss:

JoeStrauss Joe Strauss

Ramos kidnapping illustrates why Cardinals curtailed Venezuelan program couple years ago.
    Absolutely crazy, Wild West stuff there.

http://twitter.com/#!/JoeStrauss

How long does it generally take for a ransom demand in these abductions?

Maybe this will end up like Miss Venezuela did?
    Though I can't see a reason to keep him this long, she was released after 3 hours.

http://www.santabanta.com/newsmaker....name=Newsmaker

Police found the kidnappers' vehicle abandoned
    in a nearby town and were gathering evidence, Justice Minister Tareck El Aissami told reporters Thursday morning.

"The abductors haven't made contact with the family or with anyone,"
    said Domingo Alvarez, vice president of the Venezuelan Professional Baseball League, in a telephone interview. "We're worried."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/1...#ixzz1dKAxZTiJ

VZ Intelligence police confirm Wilson Ramos is still alive.

That was the sum of the update, so there's no word on whether there has been a ransom demand or anything of that nature.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/11/10/2...ping-nationals

I wonder about intelligence that tells them he's alive, but not where he actually is... but I guess it probably happens that way a lot.

How scary! Hoping Wilson is found safely soon!

Also, I asked the mods to add the date of the kidnapping to the thread title and requested they add the new prefix for Venezuela and update accordingly.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Praying for a swift, safe release!!

http://news.yahoo.com/venezuela-vows...184730807.html

**************SNIPPED********************

Venezuelan police said 618 kidnappings were reported in 2009, and the numbers have grown rapidly in recent years. In 1998, when President Hugo Chavez was elected, just 52 kidnappings were reported. Security experts say the real number of kidnappings today is much higher because many cases aren't reported to authorities.The wealthy have taken steps to protect themselves. Sales of armored cars have soared in the past several years. Bodyguards typically shadow major leaguers when they return to their homeland to play in the winter league.**************SNIPPED****

.In November 2009, the 56-year-old mother of Victor Zambrano, who retired after a seven-year Major League career, was rescued in a commando-style operation three days after she was kidnapped. The former pitcher's cousin, Richard Mendez Zambrano, had been kidnapped a few days earlier, and was later killed.
    In June 2009, Colorado Rockies catcher Yorvit Torrealba's 11-year-old son and brother-in-law were kidnapped and released a day later.
    The mother of former player Ugueth Urbina, who was a two-time All-Star pitcher, spent more than five months in captivity until she was rescued in early 2005.
    Venezuela has one of Latin America's highest murder rates, and violent crime has worsened in recent years. As ransom kidnapping has soared,..............................SNIPPED

---
    Ramos, 24, is a player on the rise — a potential All-Star in years to come. This year, though, his base salary was just over $400,000. One might think his captors would have sought a wealthier victim. But actually, Ramos was particularly vulnerable.

Apparently, Ramos and his extended family don’t live in one of the fortress-homes that are popular among Venezuelan stars. One player agent who has spent time in Venezuela describes these structures as being like “military compounds, with high walls, electrified fences, and two or three guys paid to sit outside with machine guns.”
    ---
    more here: Ramos kidnapping, sadly, not an anomaly (FoxSports)

Missing Baseball Player Wilson Ramos Found Alive and Well

Missing Major League Baseball catcher Wilson Ramos has been found alive and well in Venezuela.

Further details about Ramos' return after an apparent kidnapping were not immediately available this evening.

More: http://abcnews.go.com/International/...0#.Tr3lHvJbWuI

Whoo hoo! I am so glad he was found safe! Thank God!

Thank you for the update SheWho'
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Oh wow - I saw the Found Alive announcement! Soooo happy! Now to go back and read about it...
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Here's a little info from the Washington Post but not much:

Wilson Ramos rescued, safe in Venezuela

....Ramos was freed in the mountains of Montalban in the state of Carabobo in central Venezuela, said the government’s Communications Minister, Andres Izarra. The area is roughly 40 miles northwest of Valencia, where four gunmen abducted him Wednesday evening.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...g.html?hpid=z1
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    I was really not expecting this outcome but I'm THRILLED!!!

Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Wow. It's wonderful to have a happy ending for a change!!!

What great news!
    Always tell the truth. That way you don't have to remember what you said.--Mark Twain

The kidnapping ordeal of Washington Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos ended after two days when Venezuelan police commandos swooped in to rescue him in a flurry of gunfire and arrested five alleged abductors.

------------------------------------

"The truth is I'm still very nervous, but thanks to God everything turned out well," Ramos told Venezuelan state television, speaking by telephone after arriving at a police station in his hometown of Valencia early Saturday.

He thanked the police and National Guard commandos who rescued him, saying "the boys did a great job."

------------------------

"As soon as I feel all right, I'm going to start playing," Ramos said.

"They didn't physically harm me, but psychologically I underwent very great harm," he said.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/452647...orts-baseball/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast