720 users online (115 members and 605 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thanksgiving as Day to Shop Meets Rejection

For the first time in years, Michelle Nyberg probably will not be standing in line when stores open for their Black Friday sales.

She still loves a good deal — last year she spent a couple of thousand dollars on markdowns that day, the Friday after Thanksgiving — but Ms. Nyberg says that she does not want retailers to ruin the holiday for her or their own employees.

Ms. Nyberg is drawing the line now that major chains like Target, Macy’s, Best Buy and Kohl’s say they will open for the first time at midnight on Thanksgiving, and Wal-Mart will go even further, with a 10 p.m. Thanksgiving start for deals on some merchandise.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/thanks...123025036.html

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

I appreciate the people that do work these stores and these Holidays, it's a thankless job. Myself, I don't and never have shopped on Black Friday nor will I go out shopping at midnight. That is my family time and I don't care if stores are giving it away, me and mine are going to be at the house, curled up on beds and couches watching football with full bellies. There is not one single thing in one of those stores worth giving up my snuggle time with my girls and the babies...not one thing!
    Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy jewelry and lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion, Every Day Is Special.

In My Humble Opinion and I Reserve
    The Right To Change It As Often As Neccessary.

I have never shopped on Black Friday and never plan to. There is nothing I need or want and nothing I want to give anyone enough to shop on Black Friday. I also do not take orders for christmas gifts, like a waitress in a restaurant. I buy the person what I want them to have, which is as it should be.
    Kaybug

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.
    ~ C.S. Lewis

I don't nor want to shop on black friday - heck, I hate shopping at all. I'm an on-line shopper and can find great deals w/free shipping!

I found out Wednesday that Kohl's and Macy's will open here at midnight Thanksgiving night. I don't want anything that bad.

I don't take part in the madness each year but I do know that not everyone has family to spend time with on holidays or can get home each time. I always allow my employees to decide if we stay open on holidays (Christmas and Easter we are always closed). Almost every holiday they want to work 'cause they want the money..often to be able to fly "home" to be with family for Christmas.
    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

At the retail store where I work, we're also having Thanksgiving Day sales. But, if I work I get time and a half pay, at least.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Black Friday scares me. The best sale of the year is December 26 though. I love xmas - I get a movie day on the 25 and awesome early morning sales on the 26. Small household appliances shouldn't be bought on any other day. I scored my vacuum cleaner for $15 at a 12-26 sale. I just wish more restaurants and stuff were open on 12-25 though.

I avoid any shopping place on Black Friday. Thanksgiving should be a day to be with family, not shopping.

Isn't Thanksgiving pretty much over with by nighttime though? Or is that just my perception due to coming from Jewish culture where holidays go from sundown to sundown lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Liora View Post
    Isn't Thanksgiving pretty much over with by nighttime though? Or is that just my perception due to coming from Jewish culture where holidays go from sundown to sundown lol?
    I have seen restaurants open on Thanksgiving night.

The way I see it, my family time is while the kids are awake. I'm not going to go stand in line all day on Thanksgiving just to be one of the first people in the store when it opens, but my midnight, my kids will all be fast asleep, and if I want to go shopping, I will. If I don't feel like it though, I won't go out. I sometimes have to do my shopping late at night after they all go to bed anyway, so this wouldn't be that much different for me.

But I won't ever give up my actual holiday time with my kids in order to get a great deal, nothing is worth that.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

I don't mind if more stores open at midnight. I don't do the Black Friday shopping thing myself, but I know that a lot of people look on it as a tradition and an adventure that follows the Thanksgiving Day they've just celebrated. And I know a lot of people who work in retail and don't mind going in early on that Friday. They're done working earlier than they would usually be and can get a little shopping done themselves if they want to.

But IMO it's the opening before midnight that's just wrong. Start Black Friday when Friday starts and not before, I say.

I would go for the midnight opening. I did the year before last and got great deals for my daughter - she didn't know I was gone and it was perfect. This year I'll do mostly online shopping though.

I will say that when we are with extended family on Thanksgiving (as we will be this year), we usually have a fairly early Turkey Dinner - I will grab my niece and nephew and head to a movie - and be very grateful for the people working on Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Orlando View Post
    I don't take part in the madness each year but I do know that not everyone has family to spend time with on holidays or can get home each time. I always allow my employees to decide if we stay open on holidays (Christmas and Easter we are always closed). Almost every holiday they want to work 'cause they want the money..often to be able to fly "home" to be with family for Christmas.
    I think that is great that you give them the choice, good for you!
    Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy jewelry and lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion, Every Day Is Special.

In My Humble Opinion and I Reserve
    The Right To Change It As Often As Neccessary.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast