Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    While I have, I guess, a basic understanding of how grand juries work in the function of indicting someone, I sure don't understand all the subtleties and right now I have some questions I'd like to ask someone who feels knowledgeable enough to tackle. They are sort of general questions but of course, right now, they're focused in the direction of this case.

Maybe some of you who have followed a lot of cases can help, or even some of you who have served on a grand jury (without breaking any kind of oath, of course). I've never served on a grand jury myself.

First, with this case -- in the video at this link...
    http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/1...iddings-Murder
    ...the reporter says that Tuesday morning DA Winters and Detective Patterson spent about 30 minutes with the GJ, then a little over an hour went by before the GJ handed up (or down or whatever -- never have been sure of the correct term, LOL) the indictment.

I'm used to hearing that a trial jury spent thus-and-so hours pondering its verdict, but hearing time things about a GJ is kind of new to me. I know every case is different, but does anyone know if the spans reported are pretty typical? Does 30 minutes seem about what y'all would expect it to take to present the essentials of this case? Also -- after speaking, presenting, etc. in person, would the DA and detective then probably have left materials with the GJ to refer to while they deliberated (if that's the right word to use in speaking of a GJ)?

Second -- I can't find a clear answer on whether the prosecution is required to present any exculpatory evidence (or "substantial exculpatory evidence", as I'm seeing in some sources) it might possess to the GJ. I'm seeing in some references that yes, it is required to; in others, no, definitely not -- can't get it figured out. Does it vary from state to state, from federal courts to state courts ...? Can anybody address this?

Thanks!
    I served on my county's grand jury this past August. The procedure was this:
    Police officer presented case history and evidence and answered any questions asked by district attorney.
    Police officers and district attorney and staff left the room, but the bailiff stayed.
    Grand jurors discussed the case as presented in testimony and evidence. Some took longer than others.
    Jury foreman then called for a vote, either true bill or no bill.
    Jury member clerk recorded the information which was then signed by the jury foreman.
    Bailiff then notified police and district attorney that a decision had been reached and they came into the courtroom to hear it.
    Then the next case was called.
    We went through about 19 cases, each one following the steps above.
    The cases presented were not all that complicated except for one which isn't nearly as complicated as SM's case.
    Most cases took about 10 minutes at the most with the more complicated one taking about 20 minutes.
    I personally think a 30 minute presentation of the case against SM gave these jurors quite a bit of info although probably not all LE has, just enough to get an indictment.
    An hour's deliberation by the grand jury makes me think they did not just rubber stamp the DA's decision.
    Also, it did not take a unanimous vote to true bill; it took a majority vote.
    Also, some LE officers made better witnesses than others.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pearl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pearl View Post
    I served on my county's grand jury this past August. The procedure was this:
    <snipped for space>

Thanks, pearl -- your post was very informative and helpful.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Backwoods For This Useful Post:

There will be another online chat with the Telegraph reporters today at noon.

http://www.macon.com/2011/11/22/1796...ings-case.html

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WalterFGeorge For This Useful Post:

http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.ph...rand=&replay=y

Here is link to the live chat transcript. Nothing of interest really. The only thing that caught my eye is that they are working on a story in the coming weeks about the relationship between Lauren and Stephen. Maybe a bit more personal insight from classmates/friends than we've gotten before.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SouthernKate For This Useful Post:

Yes, there sure were a lot of "We don't know" and "I don't know" responses. Like , why even bother posting the question . I hope they will work on finding out the answers , some of them were pretty good questions:
    Don't know what, if anything, was found inside McD's car.
    Don't know if DA will seek death penalty
    Don't know if anythings been received from the FBI
    Don't know if they found chain mail in McD's apartment
    Don't know if he has seen a psychiatrist
    Don't know the difference between malice murder and felony murder or why GJ indictment differed from original warrant
    Don't know if McD can watch TV
    Don't know what Buford's Private Eye is up to or who he even is
    Don't know if LE has ruled out all other persons of interest.

But , as said earlier, there will be a story on the relationship between the two , and , if I am reading between the lines correctly it sounds like old Glenda isn't quite so happy to hear her phone ring when its Amy Leigh or Joe on the other end.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AgentFrankLundy For This Useful Post:

MACON.COM: Sources: Giddings’ garment found

"Potential evidence in the Lauren Giddings slaying investigation sent to an FBI lab includes a pair of the victim’s underwear discovered in her suspected killer’s apartment, sources familiar with the investigation say."

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/11/23/1797...#ixzz1eW5Mgd1q
    ~ Remembering Lauren, her family & friends ~
    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sandstorm For This Useful Post:

Haven't followed this case at all ... but read the initial comment and recent.

Sooooo, did the underwear neighbor thief do it, the husband, or a gang? Who is charged?

Otto, the neighbor has been charged. Not a gang.

In the first post of the thread is a link to the media thread. If you want to get up to speed on this case, take a quick scroll through and look over the highlights.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
    "Potential evidence in the Lauren Giddings slaying investigation sent to an FBI lab includes a pair of the victim’s underwear discovered in her suspected killer’s apartment, sources familiar with the investigation say."

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/11/23/1797...#ixzz1eW5Mgd1q
    Sickening, but can't say I'm surprised. Poor Lauren. She mentioned Macon "hoodlums" in that e-mail to her bf, but I wonder if that wasn't a cover. I mean, was it actually McD she feared? Did she try to brush it off and tell herself she was imagining things? From all we've learned about Lauren, I think she was too astute not to pick up on the vibes that were probably coming through the walls! She must've known and was probably counting the hours until she would be out of there.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

Methinks this is just the beginning of the stream of evidence we will see about the sick perverted forbidden fruit relationship McD was imagining in his mind with LG

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AgentFrankLundy For This Useful Post:

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by AgentFrankLundy View Post
    Methinks this is just the beginning of the stream of evidence we will see about the sick perverted forbidden fruit relationship McD was imagining in his mind with LG
    Agree. This sounds like build-up to the article about Lauren and SMD's "relationship" that the reporters mentioned they were working on.

I'm guessing he had the underwear for a while and got it while he was creeping around in her apartment.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MaconMom For This Useful Post:

DA Won't Comment on Giddings Evidence
    http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/1...dings-Evidence

"District Attorney Greg Winters declined comment. In a text reply to 13WMAZ's Randall Savage, Winters wrote, "No comment. Not very happy that information was leaked."

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MaconMom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MaconMom View Post
    DA Won't Comment on Giddings Evidence

"District Attorney Greg Winters declined comment. In a text reply to 13WMAZ's Randall Savage, Winters wrote, "No comment. Not very happy that information was leaked."
    Don't blame him.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oriah For This Useful Post:

More than one pair, and listed here as "undergarments"?

The Telegraph reported Wednesday that the undergarments found in McDaniel's apartment were sent to the FBI lab for testing.

Test results revealed that Giddings' DNA was on the panties, the Telegraph reported.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oriah View Post
    Don't blame him.
    I don't either. I just found his comment interesting because it confirms this story is true.

Can't say that I'm not interested in getting a new bit of evidence to consider though.. And who knows, maybe this was deliberately leaked regardless of what Winters said.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaconMom For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast