879 users online (171 members and 708 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Kimberlyd125's Avatar
    Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,170

    PETA attacks Nintendo over fur-wearing Mario

    PETA attacks Nintendo over fur-wearing Mario

    http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...cid=ansmsnbc11

    Nintendo has just launched its highly anticipated game "Super Mario 3D Land." The game — which you play on Nintendo's new handheld 3DS game machine — features the famed plumber Mario making his way through a cartoon land filled with cranky mushrooms, man-eating plants and nefarious turtle creatures. On occasion, the mustachioed plumber dons a furry raccoon-like "Tanooki suit" which lets him float in the air and swat this colorful host of bad guys with a tail.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    PETA, however, thinks Mario's fur-wearing ways are offensive and has — just in time for the launch of "Super Mario 3D Land" — launched its own campaign pegging Mario as a killer of innocent animals.

    To be clear, the E-rated "Super Mario 3D Land" never suggests that Mario slaughtered an animal for its fur. In fact, the magical Tanooki suits that he wears in the game typically spring from magical squares that magically hover in the air. These squares magically give up the suits (which at first look like magical leaves) when Mario bumps his head into them.

    But according to PETA's new "Mario Kills Tanooki" website, in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur. By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur."



    ***more at link***
    IMO this is another laughable attempt from PETA to get noticed.
    Crazy CRAZY CRAZY!!!
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

    Softball Mom

  2. #2
    Kimberlyd125's Avatar
    Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,170
    Then I see this on my homepage... right after I started this thread...



    What is wrong with these people???
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

    Softball Mom

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    VI BC
    Posts
    677
    Really, how do they know its not faux fur? I think they need to get their priorities straight and attack real slaughterers of real animals.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    dc area
    Posts
    339
    if those people would put the same amount of energy into REAL causes (child abuse, missing people, etc.) as they do to these silly "campaigns" this world would be a better place!!

    (i'm not against animal rights activists .. i'm just against ridiculousness)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by defense101 View Post
    Really, how do they know its not faux fur? I think they need to get their priorities straight and attack real slaughterers of real animals.

    It isn't faux fur...lol it's pixelized. These people make laughing stock of themselves IMO. Have they nothing better to do? Like save real animals?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    36,310
    So PETA has decided to take on fictional cartoon characters starring in video games now? Really?

    What's next, the burning of books that depict hunting, or fur wearing fictional characters?

    This is yet another example of why PETA can go suck it in my opinion. They are so darned militant that they alienate 98% of the population.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

    Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

    mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    605
    Oh for PETA's sake. How ridiculous.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    393
    Incidentally, Mario has been wearing the tanooki suit since way back when I was playing Mario Brothers 3. Where was all the raccoon love in 1990, PETA?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    605
    Didn't we have to slide down some vines and drop coconuts on monkey's heads at one point in time too? There was something with turtles too I think. Mario, Mario...

  10. #10
    Kimberlyd125's Avatar
    Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,170
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasingMoxie View Post
    Incidentally, Mario has been wearing the tanooki suit since way back when I was playing Mario Brothers 3. Where was all the raccoon love in 1990, PETA?
    IMO they just get more ridiculous with each passing year.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

    Softball Mom


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    PETA attacks Nintendo over fur-wearing Mario

    http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...cid=ansmsnbc11

    Nintendo has just launched its highly anticipated game "Super Mario 3D Land." The game — which you play on Nintendo's new handheld 3DS game machine — features the famed plumber Mario making his way through a cartoon land filled with cranky mushrooms, man-eating plants and nefarious turtle creatures. On occasion, the mustachioed plumber dons a furry raccoon-like "Tanooki suit" which lets him float in the air and swat this colorful host of bad guys with a tail.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    PETA, however, thinks Mario's fur-wearing ways are offensive and has — just in time for the launch of "Super Mario 3D Land" — launched its own campaign pegging Mario as a killer of innocent animals.

    To be clear, the E-rated "Super Mario 3D Land" never suggests that Mario slaughtered an animal for its fur. In fact, the magical Tanooki suits that he wears in the game typically spring from magical squares that magically hover in the air. These squares magically give up the suits (which at first look like magical leaves) when Mario bumps his head into them.

    But according to PETA's new "Mario Kills Tanooki" website, in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur. By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur."



    ***more at link***
    IMO this is another laughable attempt from PETA to get noticed.
    Crazy CRAZY CRAZY!!!
    Real life???? Um, "They have been part of Japanese folklore since ancient times. The legendary tanuki is reputed to be mischievous and jolly, a master of disguise and shapeshifting, but somewhat gullible and absentminded."

    The shapeshifting seems to fit a video game perfectly...so my guess is Mario is shapeshifting into a Tanuki (actually different spelling altogether) so what's the issue and why? I actually applaud the designers for their research and finding a legendary creature outside the norm that would fit their game's theme.
    Tanuki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by KateB; 06-11-2015 at 10:51 PM. Reason: repair url tag.
    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

    Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

    All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    297
    They can take my Mario away from me when they pry it from my COLD, DEAD, HANDS.

    And even then I might fight back.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Orlando View Post
    Real life???? Um, "They have been part of Japanese folklore since ancient times. The legendary tanuki is reputed to be mischievous and jolly, a master of disguise and shapeshifting, but somewhat gullible and absentminded."

    The shapeshifting seems to fit a video game perfectly...so my guess is Mario is shapeshifting into a Tanuki (actually different spelling altogether) so what's the issue and why? I actually applaud the designers for their research and finding a legendary creature outside the norm that would fit their game's theme.
    Tanuki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    You really should email this to PETA!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the Pines
    Posts
    2,904
    PETA pretty much has no credibility anymore
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.



Similar Threads

  1. Maybe it was the nintendo after all
    By tumble in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 05:56 PM
  2. Burke and the Nintendo
    By Jayelles in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 08:11 PM
  3. Wanted Nintendo Game Cube games
    By Maybe So in forum WS-BAY!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 10:22 PM