657 users online (82 members and 575 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Wasn't sure where to post this, but figured it may be useful.

http://www.interpol.int/@en/Missing-Persons

Interpol's searchable missing persons site. Pretty cool. Some of them may be voluntarily missing (i.e. international child abduction cases), and some of them have likely met with foul play outside of the U.S. Still, it seems there are some leads in here that may be worth pursuing. I'll throw one out:

ALVES, SERVIA LUCIA FARIA
    Present family name : ALVES
    Forname : SERVIA LUCIA FARIA
    Sex : Female
    Date of birth : 11/04/1961 (50 years old)
    Place of birth : BELO HORIZONTE, , Brazil
    Nationality : Brazil
    Father's family name & forname : ALVES JORDELINO
    Mother's family name & forname : ALVES OLINDA FARIA
    Height : 1.65 meter
    Weight : 55 Kg
    Colour of hair : Brown
    Colour of eyes : Brown
    Date of disappearance : 01/1992 When 30 years old
    Place of disappearance : WASHINGTON, United states

NOTE: I did not find her case in NamUs.

Also, perhaps useful in those cases where we already suspect the UID may be a foreigner (I'm thinking of the possibly Russian Girl in PA, the older lady in the VA cemetery, the LAX motel guy among others)

There's a new link on NamUs now, for the unclaimed that says "coming soon." FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Eyes View Post
    There's a new link on NamUs now, for the unclaimed that says "coming soon." FYI.
    https://claimus.org/ I think it is up and working now.

I am a newbie to this area of WS. Like Kimster, I have been interested for a while, but I haven't joined in because I feel overwhelmed by the variables...ethnicity, age, last seen, dentals, date discovered, estimated date of death, etc.
    now an official Penn State alum!

Kindness is magic. (Derek)

@JaneDoe25 (Twitter) <~~~ videos & pics of Harry right here

Quote Originally Posted by PlainJaneDoe View Post
    https://claimus.org/ I think it is up and working now.

I am a newbie to this area of WS. Like Kimster, I have been interested for a while, but I haven't joined in because I feel overwhelmed by the variables...ethnicity, age, last seen, dentals, date discovered, estimated date of death, etc.
    Thank you PJD! A new subforum has been created for the Unclaimed and Believe09 has been working hard to get it populated for us.

Is anyone here on Pinterest? I tried something that I think might work out kind of cool. Most people I know use the site to share decorating, recipe, or fashion ideas, but not me, hehehe.

http://pinterest.com/missingpieces/missing-persons/

This is the Pinterest page I made of missing persons. I just threw a couple up as an example and to test it out. This particular page of missing persons are all missing persons that were pregnant at the time of their disappearance (note to self: I probably should put the label "pregnant" on there somewhere.)

Sometimes I am reading about an UID and a face pops into my head of a missing person I've seen somewhere...but I can't remember their name, or can't find where I wrote it down. I sit there going "Oh, wait, who was that man with the gap in his teeth?" or "Didn't I just read somewhere about a girl with a pin in her arm?"

So I'm thinking of trying to test out different boards on Pinterest for different categories like that.

I like how on Namus I can customize a search much more than on Doe. I like that Doe has the photo index, but they're not in any order. So I'm hoping if I can pin a bunch of pregnant missing person files on one page, for example, then when I come across an UID pregnant woman with a sketch or reconstruction I can have a way to take just a quick glance and see who might fit. Just one more tool to use to wade through all this info.

NOTE: I only put up missing persons, not links to UID's and think for a site like Pinterest that is best. When you "pin" something anyone can see it and it comes up in searches of things people have pinned. I can imagine people may feel uncomfortable to see morgue pics, etc. there.

Can someone please look and see if you can access this page without being a member and if it works as well for you as it does for me? I think if you click the photo of the missing person it should take you to their Doe or NamUs page. Any feedback/ideas appreciated too. Thanks!

The links worked for me, Irish Eyes. What a clever idea. If I enter your user name in the search box for "People", it takes me to your pages without being logged in as a user. I wasn't familiar with Pinterest before now. Thanks for sharing.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

I was just wishing there was a function like this a couple of nights ago! The search engine for NamUS is good, but it's only as good as the amount of people that have been entered into it. Doe took me hours just to look for women who went missing in the early part of 1984 in Florida when I was searching the other night. Maybe I'm making it too hard?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Kimster, on Doe, I would look under geographical and then they are listed chronologically within the geographical. Or if you look chronological, you can scroll through females from 1984 and only click on ones with "fl" at the end of their Doe ID. There's no way to search like that on their photo index.

Cool. Now I know that it works I'll keep adding to this page and probably make a few more. At some point I'll list the others here in case anyone finds them useful. If anyone else wants to do it, just let me know. If you just go to Pinterest there is a waiting list to get on (which I really think is just to make people WANT to get on more.) But if an existing member adds you, you get on right away. So I can add anyone who wants to check it out.

I updated the title of the board to reflect this board being missing pregnant women. Here is the new link:

http://pinterest.com/missingpieces/m...sons-pregnant/

I added more profiles, and will keep on trucking with it!

MPs who wore braces at the time of their disappearance (dental braces):

http://pinterest.com/missingpieces/m...ersons-braces/

I have some very exciting news.

CarlK is now a mini-moderator for all of The Unidentified forums!

Be easy on him or you know what will happen...

Congratulations CARLK90245 !!!

I put together this mtDNA map, detailing four generations in a family tree. Each of the family members highlighted in a red oval have identical Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA).

Using mtDNA testing, a familial relationship could be proven between any two people highlighted with a red oval. However, the exact nature of that familial relationship cannot be determined via mtDNA testing. Nuclear DNA (nucDNA) testing must be used to establish the specific relationship between the two persons.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-07-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Anyone working on New York City cases might want to look at this site:

http://www.therestlesssleep.com/?p=134

I noticed one of the postings on here was for a case I hadn't heard of before and is not in NamUs. The poster goes by the name David Stroebel and says that in 1944 his 15 year old cousin Freida Winget went missing in the Bronx. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone is looking at any really old UID cases.

High School Yearbooks

Do you still have your High School Yearbooks for the years 1988 or prior?. Memory Lane (i.e., Classmates.com) wants to include your yearbook in their massive collection.

Other sites (Ancestry.com and e-yearbooks.com) have some yearbooks on their sites, but they don't have anywhere near the number of yearbooks in their collection that Memory Lane has.

Having access to the Memory Lane collection has been quite useful in researching UID and MP cases. In several instances, I have found high school portraits for missing persons for whom no photo was previously available. I also believe (though it still hasn't been verified) that I found a portrait of one of the mystery persons in the Rodney Alcala photo collection in a 1970 book for a school in NYC.

In recent months, I have been performing the very tedious task of browsing through 1960's, 1970's and 1980's yearbooks from around the country looking for some of the teens and 20's UID's for whom a clear photo is available. I am currently looking for Buckskin Girl and the 1984 Davie FL Jane Doe w/Curly Blonde hair. I have found some pretty close possibles for both, but were able to rule them out.

Memory Lane has thousands of yearbooks, but their collection is by no means complete. We need a more complete library to assist us in our research. If you are willing to loan your yearbook to Memory Lane to include it in their online library, you can do so by clicking the following link and completing the requested information.

http://www.classmates.com/yearbooks/...=1329501854682

Memory Lane will pay all the costs of shipping your yearbook to and from their location. Upon completion of the online form linked above, if they don't already have your edition, you will receive in the mail the Fed-Ex shipping boxes, the shipping authorization form, and the necessary paperwork for you to sign. You can then package up the books and drop them off at your local Kinko's. The books will be returned to you in 4-6 weeks.

I have loaned two of my High School yearbooks (1978 and 1981 El Segundo High School), and I am currently loaning them three of my mother's yearbooks (Grand Ledge (MI) High School 1937, 1938, and 1939).

These books are only available to paid subscribers. If you would like to include your yearbook, but are unable to access the collection to verify whether they already have a copy of your year(s), drop me a PM, and I will check for you.

I'm not sure if we want a thread when things like this come up? I'm not sure how often it happens.

But, I found where this gentleman's remains were found. I'm not sure where or when though? And if we have a UID thread about him here or not? I'm not sure how we can figure it out if we don't have information on where his remains were found?

Rahim Quaam Martin

Case Type: ColdCase
    DOB: Oct 21, 1981
    Missing Date: Jan 19, 2001
    Age Now: 30
    Missing City: Newark
    Missing State: NJ
    Case Number: x

Race: Black
    Complexion: Medium
    Height: 5-8
    Weight: 180
    Hair Color: Black
    Hair Length: Medium
    Eye Color: Brown
    Wear Glasses or Contacts: No

Location Last Seen: **UPDATE - Rahim's remains were discovered.** Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance: Rahim went with his friend Anwar Green (also missing), to pick up a check resulting from a civil lawsuit settlement and possibly had a large amount of cash with them. Both men remain missing.

Last Seen Wearing: Red jacket, jeans, athletic shoes.

Identifying Marks or Characteristics: Tattoo of a "bulldog" on right arm, tattoo of "Rah" on lower arm.

http://www.blackandmissinginc.com/cd...singInfoID=348

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast