GUILTY OH - Makayla Norman, 14, disabled, dies of severe neglect, Dayton, 1 March 2011

I don't quite have words. Her own mother and three medically trained individuals with different levels of training, all stood around and did absolutely nothing while Makayla literally starved to death in front of them. How do you manage to find that many "people" with that level of indifference? And why did poor Makayla have to come across all four at once?

It seems to me that there's an epidemic of indifference now-a-days.

My niece has a little girl with cerebral palsy so this really infuriates me!!!WTH is wrong with people.How could anyone sit back and do nothing They all should be charged with manslaughter no deals let them sit in a cell and rot.My niece's daughter is a beautiful child who really does have a heavenly light surrounding her.She has been through so much in her few years of life but she is so full of joy.My niece left a job making over 100k a year and started a consulting business from home just so she could do all kinds of therapy with her everyday,she stays up at night to work.She lives on very little sleep but she is a wonderful mother.Her and her husband have centered their life around taking care of their precious daughter as it should be.How very sad so many failed this child. I believe CPS should also be held accountable.

"She was the worst malnourished child this office has ever seen," Ken Betz, director of the coroner's office, said Thursday.

Authorities have said that the teen died minutes after paramedics rushed her to a hospital.

She had numerous bed sores and showed other signs of neglect, and the prosecutor described the home as vile and filthy.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/18/mom-starves-daughter-_n_1101156.html

Four people in charge of overseeing this poor child's care. What the heck were they doing all day long? Disgusting is the only word I can come up with. Completely disgusting. :(

Fly with the angels, Makayla!

I am so freakin tired of articles like this. We see them over and over again!

Family, system failed impaired girl who died hungry

Makayla Norman died March 1 from nutritional and medical neglect complicated by her chronic condition, she had cerebral palsy and weighed only 28 pounds when she died.

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office ruled Makayla’s death a homicide by means of medical and nutritional abuse and neglect.
http://www.newstalkradiowhio.com/ne...m-failed-impaired-girl-who-died-hungry/nFhWP/

I really don't understand this. There would have to have been doctor's orders and supervision I'm pretty sure, here I think it is every 6 mos. Transportation and an appt with her Dr. would have been a necessity to get the services.

From July 2013:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...la-norman-death-malnourishment_n_3532650.html

The doctor of a 14-year-old girl who had cerebral palsy and weighed just 28 pounds when she died has re-entered no contest pleas to charges of failing to report child abuse or neglect and agreed to give up her medical license...

Edwards was the last of five people, including Makayla's mother and three nurses, to be prosecuted in connection with the girl's death...

Makayla's mother, Angela Norman, pleaded guilty last year to involuntary manslaughter and other charges and was sentenced to nine years in prison.

From June 2015:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...an-nurses-facing-medicare-fraud-charge/nmTDX/

Mollie Parsons — a nurse serving a 10-year prison sentence for her role in the 2011 death of Makayla Norman — pleaded not guilty to four counts of health care fraud in Dayton’s U.S. District Court...

Kathryn Elizabeth Williams was indicted last week for making false statements on a skilled nursing initial evaluation/assessment form. Williams, sentenced last summer to 30 days in jail and 160 hours of community service, is scheduled to be arraigned June 10.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back