837 users online (135 members and 702 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OR - Lincoln Co., WhMale Skeletal UP6480, 14-25, near Devil's Lake, Sep'06

Address 1 USFS Road 1726
    Address 2 East Devil's Lake Road
    City Lincoln City
    State Oregon

Circumstances of death
    Sparce skeletal remains of a young adult Caucasian male were discovered in a remote location off of Forest Service Road 1726 and East Devil's Lake Road in Lincoln County.

Remants of a plastic parka/ poncho, "Stearns" brand

Right "Voit" brand shoe

https://identifyus.org/cases/full_report/6480
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 09-25-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Revised Thread Title

Strange they have the jaw but not the rest of the head. I guess it's better than nothing, but not exactly going to make this easy.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far. - Joe Walsh

what about Scott Sells for this person? Scott went missing Sept 11, 2003. He was supposed to be traveling on a bus to Arcata, CA but never arrived. It would be odd that he would be found in Lincoln City which is north west of Eugene, but anything is possible. He was 19 when he went missing and his family is concerned because he "has medical conditions". The pictures look like he may have been doing drugs. Does anyone know if this unid has a screw in the gum for the front tooth? He left before his tooth was fixed for a crown.
    Children are our future. Treat them with respect, love and care.

I'm not seeing Scott as a rule out: https://identifyus.org/cases/6480

Jbrown, you can write the UID case manager at this email: distalhumerus@hotmail.com

Her name is Veronica Vance.

I know they say only two years but have they checked the DNA with Duane Fotchman? He went missing from Lincoln city in 1986.... Just a thought

Ethan Isaac Hansen
    Jan 4th 2002 ~ June 23rd 2007

I miss you Little Man!
    Read about Ethan here

What about this link on namus https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6480. It is approximately 137 miles away from last know county and there isn't a lot of information. I didn't see Brian Page's name on the exclusion list and there isn't anything saying how long the known remains where there, also wasn't found until 2006. Brian Page's page can be found at SPOTLIGHT CASE OR - Brian Joseph Page, 16, Salem, 12 Jan 1975 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community. New at looking on the site, just offering an opinion.
    Last edited by KateB; 04-26-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Is it right to assume that the DNA info has been entered into all the appropriate databases for comparison to missing persons?

Looking up the history of Voit shoes it would appear that this John Doe died sometime after 1996.

VOIT group founded in 1993 and created the brand of VOIT in 1996.
    http://www.voit.com.cn/en/About_Profile.html

Scott Sells dental info:
    Sells is missing a front tooth. He had the metal part of a dental implant placed underneath his gum in preparation for a crown, but had not the crown inserted prior to his disappearance, and the screw was visible.
    http://charleyproject.org/cases/s/sells_scott.html

It does not appear consistent with John Doe's dentals imo. All the front teeth in his lower jaw were present and the upper ones were lost postmortem, and the chart says there were no restorations, does not mention a dental implant.

Duane Fotchman is in the ruleouts list along with 12 other names. Some of the cases they've been considering are pretty old for the shoes imo.
    Last edited by Donjeta; 09-26-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Stearns ponchos are those big ones that people keep in their cars for emergencies. Most of them can be hung over a rope to turn into a tent.

He's not wearing shoes suitable for hiking or fishing, and yet it's a remote national forest area (somewhere out here).

My first guess would be somebody whose car broke down and he tried to walk out.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Does somebody k eep a list of the cars that have been towed?

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    Does somebody k eep a list of the cars that have been towed?
    Not necessarily -- and probably not back that far. If it was towed from private property, I don't know whether they have to report it. And I don't know whether it would be in police reports anyway. And it probably depends on how legit the tow agency is. If they're a front for a chop shop, all bets are off

I was going to try to find a local paper and see if there were any reports of missing hikers etc. I have a vague memory of a case like this in the news in the last ten years or so...but it might have been a book I read.

I don't know if this guy was a hiker...I wonder if he was dumped there. Obviously his possessions and clothing could have been scattered by animals...but if he was camping out there you would have thought that they would have found some more things in the general area than 1 shoe and part of a poncho. Like carbuff said, those aren't shoes for hiking. I am thinking the poncho (being waterproof) was used to move him- or he had been wrapped in it?

Anyways, there are a lot of possibilities. OR is full of young people moving in and out- there are a group of runaways that I drive by everyday down here...and lots of young hitchhikers....

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    I don't know if this guy was a hiker...I wonder if he was dumped there. Obviously his possessions and clothing could have been scattered by animals...but if he was camping out there you would have thought that they would have found some more things in the general area than 1 shoe and part of a poncho. Like carbuff said, those aren't shoes for hiking. I am thinking the poncho (being waterproof) was used to move him- or he had been wrapped in it?

Anyways, there are a lot of possibilities. OR is full of young people moving in and out- there are a group of runaways that I drive by everyday down here...and lots of young hitchhikers....
    Is it the kind of place where somebody might have been growing a pot patch on forest land, that he might have been tending or stumbled onto?

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Is it the kind of place where somebody might have been growing a pot patch on forest land, that he might have been tending or stumbled onto?

I am not familiar with that particular area- but hopefully one of the other OR people can chime in. We do (in the southern parts of OR) have exactly that problem you mention, so much so that some hikers have taken to carrying weapons specifically for defending themselves against growers.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Hahaha. I got the reference!

But in all seriousness the coast would be a horrible place to grow the reefer outdoors. It's always cold and rainy, most people who do "Farms" in forest land are in the valley, nicer weather, fertile land...

I agree with Deca, I have no idea how he died but I think that he was probably wrapped in a tarp and dumped there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast