Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #4

Hybrid View

Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #4

Please continue discussion here on the Penn State / Sandusky / Second Mile case.

Links of interest:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153837"]Thread #1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154517"]Thread #2[/ame]

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154869"]Thread #3[/ame]

Timeline: Sandusky's double life - in public, a saint; in private, an alleged monster (citizensvoice.com)

Grand jury presentment (.pdf)

Who knew what about Jerry Sandusky? There were many missed chances to investigate as early as 1995 (pennlive.com)

Also of interest: the case involving the disappearance
    of former Centre County DA Ray Gricar is here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154352"]PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #7[/ame]

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Penn State names former FBI director Louis Freeh to investigate sex abuse scandal (pennlive.com)
    PHILADELPHIA -- Penn State University has named former FBI director Louis Freeh as part of investigative panel examining sex abuse scandal.

Freeh served as FBI director from September 1993 to June 2001.

The special Penn State investigative committee formed in the wake of child sex abuse allegations against former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky announced Freeh's position on the panel at a press conference in Philadelphia this morning.
    ---
    a bit more at link above

Freeh appears not to have attended Penn State (he's a Rutgers man) so perhaps this is a step in the right direction.

Louis Freeh (Wiki)

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

Here's one I posted overnight on the other thread. It just burns me up that this man was living so close to a school in a neighborhood full of children. This article mentions the schoolbus stop was near his house!!!

An aerial map of the neighborhood went viral last week when people realized Sandusky’s backyard was adjacent to a playground and within walking distance from an elementary school.

(snip)

Sandusky being free has caused his neighbors to feel like they are the ones locked up in a jail.

“You would think the chain of command of people going into hiding might be the reverse of what we’re seeing,” Thompson said. “The person who’s been accused is Jerry Sandusky. The ground zero of this story is Jerry Sandusky, so that does seem very strange.”

And in a quiet neighborhood, where most of the residents are elderly and there are seldom antics, the last 16 days have been difficult.

“He’s been out and about,” Strauss said. “I can’t get away from it. That’s the hardest part. We walk across that lawn to get to the [school] bus.”

More at Link

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind.../post_289.html

I'm the proud mother of a new attorney!
    It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ~ James Thurber
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke
    Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense. ~ Mark Twain

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ThoughtFox For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtFox View Post
    Here's one I posted overnight on the other thread. It just burns me up that this man was living so close to a school in a neighborhood full of children. This article mentions the schoolbus stop was near his house!!! :furious:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind.../post_289.html
    ThoughtFox.. He still IS....JMHO
    "It's been clear from day one that the contradicting statements from the family members are not the truth," said Capt. Johnny Greenwood, spokesman for the Putnam County Sheriff's Office.

JUSTICE HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED AND HIDDEN IN THE LAW

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Emeralgem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emeralgem View Post
    Thank you, Emerald! You're right ~ he's still there! Wishful thinking on my part that he would be gone, and hopefully he will be gone soon.

It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ~ James Thurber
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke
    Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense. ~ Mark Twain

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThoughtFox For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emeralgem View Post
    IIRC, in the article that I posted last night which discussed how Sandusky moved his parents from Washington County, Pa to State College, he also moved his elderly parents right behind an elementary school. (They are now deceased.)

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pensfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by waltzingmatilda View Post
    Bringing over a few links from the last three pages of thread #3.

http://citizensvoice.com/news/timeli...#axzz1eHXtpyUN Timeline

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...FZN_story.html PSU faculty wants independent investigation

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind.../post_289.html Case "hard to handle" for Sandusky neighbors

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...ky_victim.html Alleged victim bullied, leaves school

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/1...#ixzz1eJ9wAHMG Were there clues in Sandusky's past?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...TqL/story.html Sandusky's days at Boston University

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...=1mukrki1x6btm 'Victim 1' triggered investigation
    Here's a Cliff's Notes for the links.

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Sandusky, like other fixated pedophiles, spent his entire life from puberty forward convincing others that he was not a pervert, but rather, a wonderful man who loved to help children. That is why he (and other pedos) join organizations and enter careers that are viewed by other adults as helping children. Their career or volunteer position gives them access to children and equally important, it gives them protection against suspicion. Few adults want to feel suspicion about that "great guy" who donates so much of his time/money to help children.

If you will recall the horror of the Boy Scout scandal and the pedophile priests scandal, most of the parents couldn’t imagine that their son’s Boy Scout leader or priest was a pedophile because he was such a "great guy". They (the parents) didn’t experience sexual attraction to children and therefore, they couldn’t imagine "that great guy" would have these disturbing desires. They also had no knowledge base about pedophiles to make them suspicious of "that great guy" because pedophilia is (blessedly) a rare disorder. (Up until the 1950s, pedophilia wasn’t even discussed as a disorder among American psychiatrists. Pedophilia only became a household word in the USA a little over a decade ago.) These parents were duped by the scamming pedophiles and the same will eventually be found with most of the board members at Second Mile (but absolutely NOT the practicing psychologist, Raykovitz, who had the knowledge to recognize a pedophile's behavioral patterns). Sandusky was also a professional adult scammer in addition to being a pedophile.

Pedophiles do not usually seek help voluntarily to stop their behaviors. Instead, they use their previous experiences to become more adept at grooming victims and scamming adults who would block their access to children.

Pensfan
    ______
    verified psychiatric mental health nurse

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pensfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pensfan View Post
    Sandusky, like other fixated pedophiles, spent his entire life from puberty forward convincing others that he was not a pervert, but rather, a wonderful man who loved to help children. That is why he (and other pedos) join organizations and enter careers that are viewed by other adults as helping children. Their career or volunteer position gives them access to children and equally important, it gives them protection against suspicion. Few adults want to feel suspicion about that "great guy" who donates so much of his time/money to help children.

If you will recall the horror of the Boy Scout scandal and the pedophile priests scandal, most of the parents couldn’t imagine that their son’s Boy Scout leader or priest was a pedophile because he was such a "great guy". They (the parents) didn’t experience sexual attraction to children and therefore, they couldn’t imagine "that great guy" would have these disturbing desires. They also had no knowledge base about pedophiles to make them suspicious of "that great guy" because pedophilia is (blessedly) a rare disorder. (Up until the 1950s, pedophilia wasn’t even discussed as a disorder among American psychiatrists. Pedophilia only became a household word in the USA a little over a decade ago.) These parents were duped by the scamming pedophiles and the same will eventually be found with most of the board members at Second Mile (but absolutely NOT the practicing psychologist, Raykovitz, who had the knowledge to recognize a pedophile's behavioral patterns). Sandusky was also a professional adult scammer in addition to being a pedophile.

Pedophiles do not usually seek help voluntarily to stop their behaviors. Instead, they use their previous experiences to become more adept at grooming victims and scamming adults who would block their access to children.

Pensfan
    ______
    verified psychiatric mental health nurse
    In a way, you can say that pedophiles are con artists because they use deception, ala Bernie Madoff. The sad fact is that they like to think they are virtuous and religious in nature.

Looks like at this point, Jerry Sandusky is the most hated person along side with Casey Anthony, Osama bin Laden, Fred Phelps, and Lori Drew. In the end, Sandusky is just like them.
    Last edited by HMSHood; 11-21-2011 at 02:53 PM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

I was hoping the new judge assigned to the case would have moved up his court date by now..IMHO.. He shouldn't be allowed the freedom to roam the streets or take a vacation before his court date on December 7th..JMHO
    Last edited by Emeralgem; 11-21-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    "It's been clear from day one that the contradicting statements from the family members are not the truth," said Capt. Johnny Greenwood, spokesman for the Putnam County Sheriff's Office.

JUSTICE HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED AND HIDDEN IN THE LAW

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Emeralgem For This Useful Post:

Pensfan...this has to be hard for you

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk.
    <Click on User CP>
    Scroll down and on the left
    <Click on Edit Ignore List>
    In add a Member to your list
    <start typing the name of the person you want to ignore>
    <Click on OKay>

IF WE COOK IT THEY WILL COME!

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lisalei321 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lisalei321 View Post
    Pensfan...this has to be hard for you

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk.
    Thank you for the hug.

Pensfan = Pittsburgh Penguins hockey fan (Pens is a nickname lovingly used for the Penguins not Penn State. BTW SIDNEY CROSBY RETURNS TONIGHT!
    He had two terrible concussions and it was unknown if he was going to recover for a long time. It is a happy day that he is not only going to be ok, but he can continue his lifelong desire to play hockey.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pensfan For This Useful Post:

In 2010, the Boy Scouts implemented Youth Protection in Scouting. This program is mandated every two years. The parents, boy scouts, and leaders are required to be educated about pedophiles, follow the directives, and a criminal records check occurs on all adult volunteers.
    http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/...GSS/gss01.aspx

The Catholic Church instituted a similar program. By 2008, the U.S. church had "trained 5.8 million children to recognize and report abuse. It had run criminal checks on 1.53 million volunteers and employees, 162,700 educators, 51,000 clerics and 4,955 candidates for ordination. It had trained 1.8 million clergy, employees and volunteers in creating a safe environment for children."
    Catholic sex abuse cases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was required to attend this program and get a criminal background check to become a volunteer for my kids' Catholic school over a decade ago. At this time, the Catholic Church's anti-pedophile program was about 4 hours long and was brutally honest about pedophiles. The youth also attend programs related to "safe touch" and reporting inappropriate adult behavior.

Organizations that work with children must implement similar programs. Educating as many as possible is the only effective method to expose pedophiles and block pedophiles from gaining access to children.

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pensfan For This Useful Post:

I was required to attend this program and get a criminal background check to become a volunteer for my kids' Catholic school over a decade ago. At this time, the Catholic Church's anti-pedophile program was about 4 hours long and was brutally honest about pedophiles. The youth also attend programs related to "safe touch" and reporting inappropriate adult behavior.

Organizations that work with children must implement similar programs. Educating as many as possible is the only effective method to expose pedophiles and block pedophiles from gaining access to children.
    My kids had lectures about appropriate and inappropriate touching even in Kindergarten in our public schools. I thought that had become the norm in most of the country, which is why I am still surprised that so many people never even suspected Sandusky.

I read some of his book last night on Amazon. He can barely go a paragraph without mentioning his love of boys, and even when he praises adults it is almost always because they interact with boys. You would almost think that girls didn't exist in his world, and there is nearly nothing about his wife or daughter from what I saw.

Also, he writes about boys he didn't like or who did things that made him angry in a very vague way. In hindsight that might be some kind of payback for people who wouldn't cooperate with him.

29. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ThoughtFox For This Useful Post:

Meanwhile, Penn State police have referred a report of an indecent assault at an outdoor swimming pool building to the attorney general’s office.

A police log noted the report referred to an incident that occurred sometime between June 1, 2000, and Aug. 30, 2000. The report was made to campus police Wednesday and was noted on Thursday’s police log.

When asked if the report was related to allegations against Sandusky, Penn State Police Chief Tyrone Parham said Monday: “We can never describe anything related to a victim or suspect.”

State open records laws do not require Penn State to release the full police report. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...N_story_1.html Can't even tell a suspects name? Of course you could if you wanted to protect the students. But you chose not to.

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Fessel For This Useful Post:

I think societal awareness needs to reach back to adults, as well as educating the children. The failure here was in Sandusky's peers, who all worked, directly or indirectly, with children or for the benefit of children.

We live in an era of enlightenment, and hopefully as we all march toward the future our tendency to trust and proffer polite benefits of doubt will give way to active deterrence. As with all evil, it doesn't thrive in the light. moo

moo

33. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Quiche For This Useful Post:

I hope the former FBI director hired by Penn State to investigate brings in a large team just to investigate Dr. Raykovitz, the practicing child psychologist and CEO of Second Mile for 28 years. What made this practicing child psychologist not suspect his friend Sandusky of being a pedophile?

"Dr. Raykovitz is a licensed psychologist and certified school psychologist. He received his Ph.D. in school psychology from the Pennsylvania State University in 1985. As President and CEO of The Second Mile, Dr. Raykovitz oversees the operations of a state-wide non-profit community organization devoted to serving at-risk children and youth. Dr. Raykovitz maintained a part-time private practice at XXXXXX, providing individual and family therapy to children, adolescents, and parents. His specialties included adolescent development and school adjustment issues."
    http://www.midstep.com/raykovitz/

35. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Pensfan For This Useful Post:

I hope the former FBI director hired by Penn State to investigate brings in a large team just to investigate Dr. Raykovitz, the practicing child psychologist and CEO of Second Mile for 28 years. What made this practicing child psychologist not suspect his friend Sandusky of being a pedophile?

"Dr. Raykovitz is a licensed psychologist and certified school psychologist. He received his Ph.D. in school psychology from the Pennsylvania State University in 1985. As President and CEO of The Second Mile, Dr. Raykovitz oversees the operations of a state-wide non-profit community organization devoted to serving at-risk children and youth. Dr. Raykovitz maintained a part-time private practice at XXXXXX, providing individual and family therapy to children, adolescents, and parents. His specialties included adolescent development and school adjustment issues."
    http://www.midstep.com/raykovitz/
    And Spainer's background was in Human Development and Family Studies...with research on the subject of "swinging" a la...70's car key parties?? http://www.springerlink.com/content/g18580h5t244324u/ That's where tax dollars go, to tenure professors who live in their academia ivory towers and conduct 'research' instead of implementing concrete actionable programs to protect children. What a disservice to people who truly are altruistic and care for others in their professions!

And then this someone posted earlier: "In other developments, the Patriot-News of Harrisburg reports that the first alleged abuse victim of Sandusky has withdrawn from his Clinton County, Pa. high school because of bullying.

The victim's psychologist, Mike Gillum, told the paper that Central Mountain High School students were misplacing their anger at Joe Paterno's firing and blaming the 17-year-old, who left the school in the middle of his senior year after experiencing a rash of verbal taunting and name-calling.

Gillum also noted that school officials neglected to offer guidance and counseling for fellow students.

The officials were unavailable for comment Sunday, the paper reported."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ault-2000-pool

I feel that CMHighSchool admin contributed and enabled sandusky, and in the aftermath did nothing to protect the boy. *School should've provided private tutor, or got student settled in a different school back in 2009, or worked with counselors for kid to have what ever accommodations he needed to feel as safe and secure as he could. ACCOMMODATIONS are made for medical, peanut allergies, behavioral, inclusion, all kinds of needs, some disruptive, of all kinds of students...but admin/guidence counselors couldn't think of how to help this kid??? I wonder if his Due Process was violated?
    Last edited by Waupalani St.; 11-21-2011 at 09:21 PM.

37. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Waupalani St. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Waupalani St. View Post
    And Spainer's background was in Human Development and Family Studies...with research on the subject of "swinging" a la...70's car key parties?? http://www.springerlink.com/content/g18580h5t244324u/ That's where tax dollars go, to tenure professors who live in their academia ivory towers and conduct 'research' instead of implementing concrete actionable programs to protect children. What a disservice to people who truly are altruistic and care for others in their professions!

And then this someone had posted earlier: "In other developments, the Patriot-News of Harrisburg reports that the first alleged abuse victim of Sandusky has withdrawn from his Clinton County, Pa. high school because of bullying.

The victim's psychologist, Mike Gillum, told the paper that Central Mountain High School students were misplacing their anger at Joe Paterno's firing and blaming the 17-year-old, who left the school in the middle of his senior year after experiencing a rash of verbal taunting and name-calling.

Gillum also noted that school officials neglected to offer guidance and counseling for fellow students.

The officials were unavailable for comment Sunday, the paper reported."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ault-2000-pool

CMHighSchool admin contributed and enabled sandusky, and in the aftermath did nothing to protect the boy. *School should've provided private tutor, or got student settled in a different school back in 2009, or worked with counselors for kid to have what ever accommodations he needed to feel as safe and secure as he could. *All kinds of accommodations are made for medical, peanut allergies, behavioral, all knids of disruptive needs of all kinds of students...but admin/guidence counselors couldn't think of how to help this kid???
    The School that let the Pedophile come in and take the child out of class constantly with out the parents permission. Just how does that work?

39. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Fessel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Fessel View Post
    The School that let the Pedophile come in and take the child out of class constantly with out the parents permission. Just how does that work?

That's so sad!

41. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ThoughtFox For This Useful Post:

strange

It seems strange that the person in the below article has the same last name (Probst) as the principal of Central Mountain High School (Karen Probst); the same school that let Sandusky take one of his victims from the school without the parental knowledge or consent. There are also a couple of other Probst that work at the school.

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ate-asst-coach

43. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FloatingStar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Waupalani St. View Post
    With respect for your opinions on this case generally, and though it seems clear that several of Penn State's higher admin have behaved abominably to Sandusky's victims (and their students, athletes, stakeholders, and so forth), all kinds of research professors are deeply and durably committed to understanding and addressing the exploitation of children as well as the various other social problems that have come up in this thread.

I am by training a social psychologist and a prof at a large research university. There is no ivory tower here -- we average a 70 hour week and take home less than a London tube driver. On top of that, many of us consult pro bono and volunteer to boot. Any football assistant coach at a decent program will make a multiple of most of the (non-professional school) professors/faculty at that school -- including those who design and implement social policy, school curricula, etc.

I actually think of the notable factors in this case is that the oversight one might expect of, say, a faculty department in a large public university seems to have been totally absent here. Riches, fame, recruits, scholarship funds in a world increasingly hostile to the idea of the university -- all this helped to blind an administration seemingly bent on the most repugnant cost-benefit analysis. Spanier may, in his role as a sociologist, have conducted research you find trivial, but had been thinking as a sociologist and not a swaggering, fundraising, legacy-seeking Uni President, he might have stepped in a long time ago and made a profound difference to the lives of who knows how many young men.

/end of rant

s

45. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to scapa For This Useful Post:

From a misanthropic Luddite..yes I know it's a fallacy...

Quote Originally Posted by scapa View Post
    With respect for your opinions on this case generally, and though it seems clear that several of Penn State's higher admin have behaved abominably to Sandusky's victims (and their students, athletes, stakeholders, and so forth), all kinds of research professors are deeply and durably committed to understanding and addressing the exploitation of children as well as the various other social problems that have come up in this thread.

I am by training a social psychologist and a prof at a large research university. There is no ivory tower here -- we average a 70 hour week and take home less than a London tube driver. On top of that, many of us consult pro bono and volunteer to boot. Any football assistant coach at a decent program will make a multiple of most of the (non-professional school) professors/faculty at that school -- including those who design and implement social policy, school curricula, etc.

I actually think of the notable factors in this case is that the oversight one might expect of, say, a faculty department in a large public university seems to have been totally absent here. Riches, fame, recruits, scholarship funds in a world increasingly hostile to the idea of the university -- all this helped to blind an administration seemingly bent on the most repugnant cost-benefit analysis. Spanier may, in his role as a sociologist, have conducted research you find trivial, but had been thinking as a sociologist and not a swaggering, fundraising, legacy-seeking Uni President, he might have stepped in a long time ago and made a profound difference to the lives of who knows how many young men.

/end of rant

s
    When I said "What a disservice to people who truly are altruistic and care for others in their professions!" that would be you then, sorry for my insensitive remarks about ivory tower. They were directed at Spainer and his HDFS background considering his role in all this. I should not have generalized. My degree is in Human Development and Family Studies from PSU..that and my Masters in Education have me semi-unschooling my kids. Design and implementation of social policy and curricula is a topic for another board. Namaste.

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Waupalani St. For This Useful Post:

Botox has been found in the brain cells of laboratory mice given such injections. Will sixty-year-old Dr. Jack Raykovitz be the first to use “Botox impaired” as a legal defense?
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...77_306x319.jpg
    http://media.washtimes.com/media/ima...e346dc638a7a3f

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pensfan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast