706 users online (78 members and 628 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

OR - David Grubbs, 23, Ashland, 19 Nov 2011

http://kdrv.com/page/231152

local rumors are he was be-headed. jeeez.
    ~~Childhood Cancer is a Crime~~

and a shooting the same night, same sleepy town. connected?

http://kdrv.com/news/local/231107

**EDIT: Apparently the crime was first reported as a shooting. Thus not a case of 2 crimes.
    Last edited by gooniequeen; 11-21-2011 at 12:46 PM.

2 other unsolved homicides 9/2009 - Ashland and area -police believe they are linked but remain unsolved. I believe there are WS threads on these 2 crimes as well..

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/909230327

I live in Ashland and there is palpable fear here today. This hits very close to home for me as David worked with one of my sons and was found dead just steps from my grandson's school. David worked at one of our most popular grocery stores, played in the youth symphony as a teen and had a wide circle of friends and family. Many are saying that police are not reacting strongly enough concerning community safety--as if walking in pairs is much protection.

Ashland does feel safe. That's why people move here. We all take it for granted. I don't know a single person who locks their home or their car--at least not consistently. I've lived in the town for 18 years and never have. Children and youth walk alone on the bike path day in and day out. Our last murders were in 2004 and both victims knew their attackers.

I have no idea if this murder is linked to Thompson's and Carney's murders from a few years back. Both were highly suspicious and I believe we have threads on them.

I've just received a comment by email which was written by our previous police chief. He is highly concerned that the public is not being alerted in strong enough terms. When I get a link as to where that was posted I will post it here.

Lots of rumors and lots of sadness. My heart goes out to all who loved and knew David. My husband saw him at Shop 'n Kart last week. Ashland surely embraces our young people. David's death is a loss to our whole town. It's also a terrifying wake-up call.

Sad to say that a beheading is the word on the street. Several people who were in the area have stated this is what happened. I have no proof however. Here's the message from Ashland's former Police Chief which is being circulated on FB.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...00001049181235

Trust me when I say that former Chief Bianca is most definitely not a fear monger. In fact, Ashland (gentle as it can be) loved Bianca but had some troubles with him not being tough enough as a chief.

Autopsy results released by Ashland police today confirm that David Michael Grubbs was the victim of a homicidal attack that nearly decapitated him....

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...340/-1/NEWSMAP

my best friend lives in Ashland with her 2 young boys, both who attend Walker Elementary steps away from where this brutal killing took place.

The location where the murder took place also runs along railroad tracks - I don't know the area very well (I have visited once) Any locals know what runs on those tracks? Is it a commuter rail or commercial?

Missizzy, I'm so sorry this happened...and to someone you know.

Really shocking. Even that email from the former police chief is shocking in a couple ways.

Rest In Peace, David.

Condolences and blessings to all his family and friends.

Perhaps when LE finds the perp, there will be answers. But sadly, the answers won't bring David back.

I'm starting to get very creeped out.

We have missing Mark Bosworth, a cycle volunteer, from Riddle. They also found a homicide victim soon after that IN Riddle: http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Body-f...131011518.html

There is a hunter missing out of Lincoln City. I'm not sure if they've found him yet, but I don't think so: http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Hunter...134273833.html

And now David too????????????????????

Missizzy or other locals - question.

The below article says that extra patrols have been placed on the "Bear Creek Greenway" what/where exactly is that? You'll notice a comment below the article from Troy Carney's mother regarding the unsolved murder of her son (camping) a few years back on The "Bear Creek Greenway"

http://kdrv.com/news/local/231276

just looking for some geographical scope. thanks.

Map of Bear Creek Greenway

http://www.bearcreekgreenway.com/Fil...reenwayMap.jpg

does the area where David Lewis was killed also lay on the greenway?

Oh I didn't realize that would be the area where Troy was found! His mom is a member here. I hope she's okay after hearing the news.

Here's Troy's thread: Troy Dean Carney, unsolved murder, 9/4,08, Central Point, Or- MERGED - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I'm not very familiar with Oregon south of Roseburg.
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 12-27-2016 at 02:48 AM. Reason: broken link

The railroad tracks are rarely used. In the last five years, I've only heard a train go by a handful of times. If I'm not mistaken, the tunnel through the Siskiyous needed to be repaired and train traffic was suspended. The part of the greenway where David was found is adjacent to Walker Elementary and Hunter Park--where our public pool and softball fields are located.

After reading what David's boss at Shop 'n Kart said, it sounds as if he was headed home. He currently lives on California St. with a room mate and that would be a fairly straight shot. California St. is near Garfield Park and just a short distance (maybe 2 short blocks) from the Police Station. Someone was extremely bold as that part of the bike path is frequently in use. I'm a little surprised that David wouldn't use a bike as that's a good hike--maybe one to one and half miles from work to home. I know my boys ride their bike along there. However, Saturday was fairly pleasant as far as weather. I don't believe it was raining or too chilly at the time he was killed. It's my understanding that he was found about 5:30 in the late afternoon. It's completely dark by that time here right now.

I've lived in Ashland for 18 years but spend most of my time 15 miles away in a mountain top cottage due to health issues. My husband and our two daughters, still at home, live almost back to back to where David lived so I have a "tether" to Ashland. Our son and his family live next door. This has the entire town of Ashland paralyzed with fear. Our daughters walk that greenway/bike path to walk their little poodles!! Many children use it to walk to the schools.

I realize that the APD is urging caution around the greenway--which stretches from Ashland to around Central Point, north of Medford--a distance of about 20 miles. However, I'm making the wild assumption that the killer will not stay on the greenway as there is a large number of LEOs out there today. Ashland has many other places where he could hide. Think about our crown jewel--Lithia Park--100 acres right in the middle of town and adjacent to the Shakespeare theatres.

I seem to remember that within the last week, LE rousted the camps along the greenway as they do periodically. This murder occurred after that action.

The Bear Creek Greenway stretches from Ashland to Central Point--21 miles:

http://www.bearcreekgreenway.com/

The weather in the late afternoon of Saturday, Nov. 19th was about 50 degrees. It was fully dark by 5:50.

Troy Carney was found murdered at the northern most part of the greenway--in Central Point. That's about 20-21 miles north of Ashland.

I erred upthread with Dave Lewis' name. I apologize. Dave lived up on Dead Indian Road (I did not name this road, BTW) which is a good ways from any portion of the greenway. We have a thread on his murder.

I checked and railway traffic ceased in Ashland in 2008. Amtrak runs through Klamath Falls, which is about 60 miles east of Ashland. One takes a bus to link up with Amtrak over in Klamath Falls. I was not in Ashland on Saturday but I would be very surprised to hear that there was any train passing through. As I said I've heard the train whistle just a few times in the last several years. It was surprising enough to notice it.

Ashland does have a fairly large and vocal transient population who sometimes camp along the greenway. But these folks typically head south when the rains start at the beginning of November. This is also the time that the Oregon Shakespeare Festival shuts down for the season. It doesn't reopen until February. After the wild craziness of our annual Halloween parade, things are quiet in Ashland except for a couple of weeks around Christmas.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast