OR OR - David Grubbs, 23, Ashland, 19 Nov 2011

I live in Ashland and there is palpable fear here today. This hits very close to home for me as David worked with one of my sons and was found dead just steps from my grandson's school. David worked at one of our most popular grocery stores, played in the youth symphony as a teen and had a wide circle of friends and family. Many are saying that police are not reacting strongly enough concerning community safety--as if walking in pairs is much protection.

Ashland does feel safe. That's why people move here. We all take it for granted. I don't know a single person who locks their home or their car--at least not consistently. I've lived in the town for 18 years and never have. Children and youth walk alone on the bike path day in and day out. Our last murders were in 2004 and both victims knew their attackers.

I have no idea if this murder is linked to Thompson's and Carney's murders from a few years back. Both were highly suspicious and I believe we have threads on them.

I've just received a comment by email which was written by our previous police chief. He is highly concerned that the public is not being alerted in strong enough terms. When I get a link as to where that was posted I will post it here.

Lots of rumors and lots of sadness. My heart goes out to all who loved and knew David. My husband saw him at Shop 'n Kart last week. Ashland surely embraces our young people. David's death is a loss to our whole town. It's also a terrifying wake-up call.

Sad to say that a beheading is the word on the street. Several people who were in the area have stated this is what happened. I have no proof however. Here's the message from Ashland's former Police Chief which is being circulated on FB.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=285179224860381&id=100001049181235

Trust me when I say that former Chief Bianca is most definitely not a fear monger. In fact, Ashland (gentle as it can be) loved Bianca but had some troubles with him not being tough enough as a chief.

Autopsy results released by Ashland police today confirm that David Michael Grubbs was the victim of a homicidal attack that nearly decapitated him....

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111122/NEWS07/111220340/-1/NEWSMAP

my best friend lives in Ashland with her 2 young boys, both who attend Walker Elementary steps away from where this brutal killing took place.

The location where the murder took place also runs along railroad tracks - I don't know the area very well (I have visited once) Any locals know what runs on those tracks? Is it a commuter rail or commercial?

Missizzy, I'm so sorry this happened...and to someone you know. :hug:

Really shocking. Even that email from the former police chief is shocking in a couple ways.

Rest In Peace, David. :rose:

Condolences and blessings to all his family and friends. :heart:

Perhaps when LE finds the perp, there will be answers. But sadly, the answers won't bring David back. :(

Missizzy or other locals - question.

The below article says that extra patrols have been placed on the "Bear Creek Greenway" what/where exactly is that? You'll notice a comment below the article from Troy Carney's mother regarding the unsolved murder of her son (camping) a few years back on The "Bear Creek Greenway"

http://kdrv.com/news/local/231276

just looking for some geographical scope. thanks.

The railroad tracks are rarely used. In the last five years, I've only heard a train go by a handful of times. If I'm not mistaken, the tunnel through the Siskiyous needed to be repaired and train traffic was suspended. The part of the greenway where David was found is adjacent to Walker Elementary and Hunter Park--where our public pool and softball fields are located.

After reading what David's boss at Shop 'n Kart said, it sounds as if he was headed home. He currently lives on California St. with a room mate and that would be a fairly straight shot. California St. is near Garfield Park and just a short distance (maybe 2 short blocks) from the Police Station. Someone was extremely bold as that part of the bike path is frequently in use. I'm a little surprised that David wouldn't use a bike as that's a good hike--maybe one to one and half miles from work to home. I know my boys ride their bike along there. However, Saturday was fairly pleasant as far as weather. I don't believe it was raining or too chilly at the time he was killed. It's my understanding that he was found about 5:30 in the late afternoon. It's completely dark by that time here right now.

I've lived in Ashland for 18 years but spend most of my time 15 miles away in a mountain top cottage due to health issues. My husband and our two daughters, still at home, live almost back to back to where David lived so I have a "tether" to Ashland. Our son and his family live next door. This has the entire town of Ashland paralyzed with fear. Our daughters walk that greenway/bike path to walk their little poodles!! Many children use it to walk to the schools.

I realize that the APD is urging caution around the greenway--which stretches from Ashland to around Central Point, north of Medford--a distance of about 20 miles. However, I'm making the wild assumption that the killer will not stay on the greenway as there is a large number of LEOs out there today. Ashland has many other places where he could hide. Think about our crown jewel--Lithia Park--100 acres right in the middle of town and adjacent to the Shakespeare theatres.

I seem to remember that within the last week, LE rousted the camps along the greenway as they do periodically. This murder occurred after that action.

Troy Carney was found murdered at the northern most part of the greenway--in Central Point. That's about 20-21 miles north of Ashland.

I erred upthread with Dave Lewis' name. I apologize. Dave lived up on Dead Indian Road (I did not name this road, BTW) which is a good ways from any portion of the greenway. We have a thread on his murder.

I checked and railway traffic ceased in Ashland in 2008. Amtrak runs through Klamath Falls, which is about 60 miles east of Ashland. One takes a bus to link up with Amtrak over in Klamath Falls. I was not in Ashland on Saturday but I would be very surprised to hear that there was any train passing through. As I said I've heard the train whistle just a few times in the last several years. It was surprising enough to notice it.

Ashland does have a fairly large and vocal transient population who sometimes camp along the greenway. But these folks typically head south when the rains start at the beginning of November. This is also the time that the Oregon Shakespeare Festival shuts down for the season. It doesn't reopen until February. After the wild craziness of our annual Halloween parade, things are quiet in Ashland except for a couple of weeks around Christmas.

David lived at 69 California St. according to this ad. Looks like David's room mate ran this ad on Nov. 5th to fill a room left by someone moving to Europe:

http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?type=0&id=92443262&src=main

$430 need a room mate for next month (69 california st.) (map)

Date: 2011-11-05, 1:20PM PDT

This is sweet house on california st. with 2 guys and a doggie looking for someone cool to take the place of my brother who is moving to Europe. This is a 2 story house just above garfield park, fenced backyard, 3 bed 1 1/2 bath. We will be mostly furnished but there will definitely be room for whatever you wanna bring with you. The two guys who are staying here now are David Grubbs and myself, BS (just in case you wanted to know) We're pretty mellow, and would never really be too much of a bother. Kinda just keep to ourselves and drink together (hehe)

Anyway... bills are pretty reasonable, 60-70 dollars per month, so including the bills (which include gas, water, electric, and wireless internet) You're looking at about 500 dollars monthly total. Also, if you have a dog that's cool as long as ours get along together (mine gets along with everything and everyone, so that won't be an issue). Also, you'll have to submit an application to the property management place (CPM) and pay a 250 dollar deposit (plus a 300 pet deposit if u have a dog) I doubt they will turn you down if u have any kind of rental history.

Hoping to get someone in here by the end of november or the beginning of december. So, If you're interested, give me a call at 831-325-3701 any time. I'm usually home so we can set up a time to check the place out pretty much whenever. Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.

california at E. main (google map) (yahoo map)
dogs are OK - wooof

David almost made it home. He was just a couple of blocks away. Twenty-something kids are always moving around Ashland and sharing houses. This location is only a few blocks from Southern Oregon University. I have a strong feeling that the ad was not connected to the murder in any way.

Just sharing some thoughts as I have always thought Ashland was a lovely community. When I first read about this murder, I immediately thought of an actor swinging a sword. Such a horrifying and unprovoked attack.

I recently stayed in Ashland for a couple of days in October scouting out potential areas for retirement. It had been a good 12 years since my last visit. Walking downtown one day in the late afternoon, I noticed many people just hanging around who did not look like tourists, nor what I would consider to be regular town residents. It unnerved me enough to make sure I was tucked into my hotel before the sun went down.

I pray the person(s) responsible for this horrific crime are found quickly. Peace to the family and community.

Just wanted to add that I-5 (Interstate 5) runs right through Ashland. I-5 is a major thoroughfare that runs all the way from Canada to Mexico. Even though Ashland is a small, quaint town, a huge amount of traffic passes through the town every day; which might also account for the sizable homeless population in the area.

InTheGarden--Ashland has been struggling to find an amenable solution to our growing number of transient visitors. We seem to have more with the downturn of the economy. We have a very liberal police force (IMO) due to the large tourist influx. We seem to be "on the circuit" for a good number of folks that hang out, panhandle, sometimes busk, and camp illegally. Ashland is an expensive town to live in and to visit. However, we're an accepting group and try our hardest to keep everyone happy. I personally think that the police bend over backwards to work with our visitors. Surely not everyone would agree with me. It's interesting as this problem/challenge seems to come to the forefront every few years. I remember a strong anti-panhandling push about 15 years ago but then it faded only to resurface again. Our lovely downtown plaza can sometimes be intimidating to paying tourists, due to the number of transients. There are ordinances against aggressive panhandling but they are not always obeyed.

About 10 years ago, it was quite common to see young men sporting swords and heading to Lithia Park for SCA events. I haven't seen nearly as much of that in recent years. It's been quite a while since I saw a young man with a sword.

To be clear, I've heard the weapon described both as a sword and as a hatchet. One could conceal a hatchet far more easily in a busy area.

I'm tremendously sorry for the Grubbs family. This was so cruel and heartless.

This is sad. I knew him briefly but MANY of my close friends and family was very close to him. He is such a well liked and known person. I mean was... It's just so unreal. This kind of crap shouldn't happen here. Not to our friends. I hope they find the murderer or murderers quickly. It would have just gotten dark when they suspected the murder happened. The place it happened, I have always gotten a creepy vibe from but it's not a completely quiet area or anything. This has really shaken up the community here. The murderer or murderers NEEDS to be caught.

My friends and I saw this strange ad in craigslist. Maybe the cops can investigate it just to be certain? http://medford.craigslist.org/spo/2715069684.html You never know

plus the weapon could be any Med/long edged weapon. Because of the way the wounds were they do not know precisely what the weapon was. Sword, hatchet, machete, etc... anything that is SHARP and could cause the type of wounds that occurred.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back