http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3832dmnc.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/arrowood_steven.html

Steve Lewis Arrowood Jr.
Missing since April 4, 1975 from Gastonia, Gaston County, North Carolina
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: July 12, 1956
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'9"; 145-150 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blond hair; blue eyes.
  • Marks, Scars: A small scar under his chin.
  • Dentals: Available.
  • AKA: Steven

Circumstances of Disappearance
Arrowood's car was found abandoned on April 4, 1975 at Fern Forest Apartments in Gastonia, North Carolina. The keys were in the vehicle.
Previously, Steven had had a romance with a married woman and ran off to Texas with her. Her husband found them and brought them back to Gastonia. Steven was very afraid of this man and told his friends he was afraid of him. The husband was a long distance truck driver. Steven's disappearance occured not long after comming back to Gastonia.

The Charley Project (as usual) gives much more detail about what went on. I suggest reading that first before reading my thoughts below as all of the facts I'm going to discuss are found there and not on Doe.

My thoughts
Why was his car found at his sister's apartment complex the way it was? The keys in the ignition, his belongings inside, and the door open certainly suggest that he was abducted. But if it was his married lover's husband who eventually caught up with him, would he have really taken a chance at being seen or heard by witnesses by accosting him in an apartment complex?

As far as the underwear on the ground behind the car (which I think is the strangest thing found), do we even know for sure whose they were? It seems reasonable to assume that they were Steven's since they were found by his abandoned car, but the info on the Charley Project doesn't outright say this and gives the impression that law enforcement themselves weren't sure whose they were either. Did the underwear appear to have been worn recently or did they look more like an old, beat-up pair of that just happened to have been more or less discarded? If it was the latter, they probably weren't his. Were they lying there in a way that looked as though they someone had taken them off and stepped out of them (i.e., pulled them down and let them fall to their ankles and then simply stepped out them, leaving them in sort of a "bunch") or did they look like someone had neatly laid them there (doubtful, but possible)?

In addition, why would Steven been made to remove his underwear at all and leave it there when he was apparently abducted while still wearing the rest of his clothes?

I wonder what was in the letter that police say contained nothing of importance.

I think the husband of his married lover likely did catch up with him and make good on his threat. But why would he abduct him at an apartment complex pool where someone could easily have witnessed it?

I have a feeling that the lover probably knew (or still knows, since she could still be very much alive at age 66) more about what happened, but due to fear of what her husband might have done to her had she talked, she disavowed any such knowledge when questioned by police.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts
Why was his car found at his sister's apartment complex the way it was? The keys in the ignition, his belongings inside, and the door open certainly suggest that he was abducted. But if it was his married lover's husband who eventually caught up with him, would he have really taken a chance at being seen or heard by witnesses by accosting him in an apartment complex?

As far as the underwear on the ground behind the car (which I think is the strangest thing found), do we even know for sure whose they were? It seems reasonable to assume that they were Steven's since they were found by his abandoned car, but the info on the Charley Project doesn't outright say this and gives the impression that law enforcement themselves weren't sure whose they were either. Did the underwear appear to have been worn recently or did they look more like an old, beat-up pair of that just happened to have been more or less discarded? If it was the latter, they probably weren't his. Were they lying there in a way that looked as though they someone had taken them off and stepped out of them (i.e., pulled them down and let them fall to their ankles and then simply stepped out them, leaving them in sort of a "bunch") or did they look like someone had neatly laid them there (doubtful, but possible)?

In addition, why would Steven been made to remove his underwear at all and leave it there when he was apparently abducted while still wearing the rest of his clothes?

I wonder what was in the letter that police say contained nothing of importance.

I think the husband of his married lover likely did catch up with him and make good on his threat. But why would he abduct him at an apartment complex pool where someone could easily have witnessed it?

I have a feeling that the lover probably knew (or still knows, since she could still be very much alive at age 66) more about what happened, but due to fear of what her husband might have done to her had she talked, she disavowed any such knowledge when questioned by police.

Any thoughts?

I think the underwear were Steve's, but they were left there by the husband who probably came across them in his own laundry in Texas. I say this because I did the same thing Steve did in my 20s, several times, and I'm lucky I didn't run into someone like this guy. It's been 20 years, and still I wonder if I have any enemies out there.
That's real dangerous territory.

Here's what I think happened.
Option 1) The husband told them to break it off or he'd kill Steven. Steven didn't leave right away. It's hard to just break off an affair like that if both of the involvees want to keep it going. They might have just tried to be real discrete. So, they carried on a few more times before Steve got wise and went back home. The truck driver found the underwear in his stuff (maybe by searching in a jealous fit) and brought them with him absolutely enraged.

Option 2) He planned to go get Steven all along and had saved the underwear from when he originally found out about the affair.
But it really doesn't matter.

I'm pretty sure that 1) the underwear was Steve's and 2) the husband had them and threw them on the ground when he nabbed the kid.

He told Steve to get out of the car at gunpoint or knifepoint or maybe he was just so big he ordered the diminutive Steve around without a weapon.

Who knows where he ended up. The guy was a truck driver.

The police didn't investigate it very deeply because the boy was having an affair with a married woman. Especially in TX and the south, back in the 70s, if you got killed doing a married woman and the man shot you, the police would do just about anything to let the man off. This is why the case wasn't pursued vigorously. I'm sure they could have really gone after him, but they figured the kid deserved what he got. I wonder if the husband is even alive any longer.

I think the underwear were Steve's, but they were left there by the husband who probably came across them in his own laundry in Texas. I say this because I did the same thing Steve did in my 20s, several times, and I'm lucky I didn't run into someone like this guy. It's been 20 years, and still I wonder if I have any enemies out there.
That's real dangerous territory.

Here's what I think happened.
Option 1) The husband told them to break it off or he'd kill Steven. Steven didn't leave right away. It's hard to just break off an affair like that if both of the involvees want to keep it going. They might have just tried to be real discrete. So, they carried on a few more times before Steve got wise and went back home. The truck driver found the underwear in his stuff (maybe by searching in a jealous fit) and brought them with him absolutely enraged.

Option 2) He planned to go get Steven all along and had saved the underwear from when he originally found out about the affair.
But it really doesn't matter.

I'm pretty sure that 1) the underwear was Steve's and 2) the husband had them and threw them on the ground when he nabbed the kid.

He told Steve to get out of the car at gunpoint or knifepoint or maybe he was just so big he ordered the diminutive Steve around without a weapon.

Who knows where he ended up. The guy was a truck driver.

The police didn't investigate it very deeply because the boy was having an affair with a married woman. Especially in TX and the south, back in the 70s, if you got killed doing a married woman and the man shot you, the police would do just about anything to let the man off. This is why the case wasn't pursued vigorously. I'm sure they could have really gone after him, but they figured the kid deserved what he got. I wonder if the husband is even alive any longer.

Those are very good theories. You're right. Police years ago didn't get nearly as bent out of shape about people who took the law into their own hands.

Has anyone checked to see if the hubby and wife are still alive and or married? Why hasn't Steve's family been more aggressive in seeking justice?

I'd love to know if the suspect and his wife are still living.

I found an old newspaper article from 3 May 1975 regarding this case. I don't have full access to the newspaper archive site and as it is a pay site and therefore can not copy and paste anything due to forum rules. The article's full text is available to read however the bottom of the page at this link. It looks like it is two articles possibly linked by the archive site.

http://newspaperarchive.com/us/north-carolina/gastonia/gastonia-gazette/1975/05-03/

I have managed to find another long article from 28 December 1975. Here is a link to the page and all of the text that's in the article is at the bottom of this link. Part of the article is at the top of the text box at the link, then the rest appears towards the bottom. The article's headline is "Lewis Arrowood, where are you?" and his parents again call him Lewis throughout.

Almost unbelievably, the police managed to lose the head that was recovered in April/May mentioned in the post above.

http://newspaperarchive.com/us/north-carolina/gastonia/gastonia-gazette/1975/12-28/page-11

SLArrowood.jpg
SLArrowood1.jpg

Steve Lewis Arrowood Jr.
Missing since April 4, 1975 from Gastonia, Gaston County, North Carolina
Classification: Missing
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3832dmnc.html

Steve has been missing for 40 years. Gaston Gazette published a summary of many of the people missing from their area a year ago. Steve is included.

Missing in Gaston: Search continues for Fraley and others
Published: Friday, April 11, 2014 at 05:14 PM.
http://www.gastongazette.com/spotli...arch-continues-for-fraley-and-others-1.304447

Hi scriptgirl, sorry for any confusion. I linked to an archive article in post 9 which mentioned a month after Steve disappeared, a head was found by police dredging French Broad River. The police lost the head and never recovered it to identify it. I have saved the article at this link so hopefully you can read this OK. It is from the December 28, 1975 issue of the Gastonia Gazette...

http://s7.postimg.org/dehapnvij/8bfdbdea13e24537abeaf81e51c9b40a_crop.png

Hi scriptgirl, sorry for any confusion. I linked to an archive article in post 9 which mentioned a month after Steve disappeared, a head was found by police dredging French Broad River. The police lost the head and never recovered it to identify it. I have saved the article at this link so hopefully you can read this OK. It is from the December 28, 1975 issue of the Gastonia Gazette...

http://s7.postimg.org/dehapnvij/8bfdbdea13e24537abeaf81e51c9b40a_crop.png

That's really unfortunate. I think it was probably him.

Steven was listed in a 2016 article as one of 7 people still missing from Gastonia, NC:
Steven Lewis Arrowood - The 19-year-old was last seen in April 1975. His father found his car with the keys still inside at Fern Forest Apartments on Fern Forest Drive, but no signs of his son were found. Arrowood was a 5-foot-8, 145-pound white male with blue eyes and blond hair.
http://www.gastongazette.com/news/20161126/fifteen-years-few-answers

From the article it sure sounds like the police knew the husband did it, he admitted he was there in the parking lot and spoke with the boy. Sounds like 1970’s good old boy, “well he was with another man’s wife, he got what he deserved”. I can’t believe the police there today wouldn’t haul this guy in if he’s still living considering the circumstantial evidence already admitted and probably get a confession. Heck, today they could have probably got a conviction just on the circumstantial evidence and that skull was probably conveniently lost of that adulterer (70’s Bible Belt south and all)

Looking at the Gastonia Gazette Dec. 28 1975 article, the following quote from Steve/Lewis' father :

"A few days after Lewis disappeared, Arrowood received an anonymous phone call from someone who said his son was buried near a convenience store on North New Hope Road.

I told the police and they told me to go home and forget about it," Arrowood said. "Man, you can't go home and forget about something like that."

https://newspaperarchive.com/gastonia-gazette-dec-28-1975-p-11/

I wonder where that convenience store was and what is there now. Although, like some, I tend to think the head lost in the creek/river probably belonged to young Arrowood. I'm so sorry this was a different era where LE didn't take things as seriously.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back