GUILTY IL - Christopher Valdez, 4, beaten to death, Chicago, 25 Nov 2011

peeples

Reaction score
So so sad :(

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/26/christopher-valdez-4-kill_n_1114104.html

Christopher Valdez was killed Friday afternoon

the boyfriend of his niece, currently in police custody, is known for being anti-social and violent. Two weeks ago, the man beat a dog severely after it relieved itself in his home.

I think this mother needs charged filed against her...
If someone will hurt an animal, they will hurt a person.

:( oh god,that poor boy.

she obviously knew that he had beated christopher when she called her brother (is that right) and yet she didn't call the police???? what is wrong with people.

r.i.p christopher

another child gone too soon :angel:

The mother is just as guilty. How dare she have this violent man around her children.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/28/christopher-valdezs-mothe_n_1116245.html

Christopher's family pointed out to the paper that the boy's mother had been convicted on Oct. 21 of domestic battery. An Illinois Department of Children and Family Services investigation had previously shown that she had neglected her child. Christopher had three other siblings.

Keep these precious kids away from this lady! RIP Christopher....

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/new...th-birthday-chicago-mother-boyfriend-20111128

Prosecutors are now charging Crystal Valdez with murdering her four-year-old son Christopher on his birthday, then attempting to cover up the beating he endured with makeup.

Valdez’s brother and sister-in-law found Christopher’s dead body wrapped in a blanket at his home in the 5100 block of South Trumbull on Friday after concerned relatives called and told them he had appeared at a Thanksgiving celebration with a swollen eye. Christopher had refused to eat dinner and had vomited, she said.

BABY_KILLER_1_20111127203248_320_240.JPG

Cesar Ruiz & Crystal Valdez - confessed baby killers, too bad IL no longer has the DP
if you beat a human too much, it dies . . .

The records offer an eerie foreshadowing of Friday’s murder of little Christopher Valdez and raise serious questions about the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services’ handling of the case.

Caroline Glennon, an assistant public defender representing Valdez, said Valdez was a mom of four who had special educational needs as a result of lead poisoning as a child. She has split up with Ruiz, Glennon said.
<<< before or after they were charged >>>

Valdez wept and exclaimed &#8220;I didn&#8217;t do anything&#8221; towards relatives in the gallery after the judge set her bail

http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/...d-against-mother-of-slain-4-year-old-boy.html

IL is in dire straights being led by a corrupt Gov (again) . . . where are her other kids !!!

To me the difference in bail amounts highlights the disparity between genders accused of murdering their children. Maybe, just maybe, when the justice system begins treating these mothers as severely as fathers we'll see a drop in these crimes.

IMO when a biological parent is complicit in the death of their child at the hands of their significant other they should be punished even more severely than the person who caused the death.

Public officials missed opportunities to rescue 4-year-old & so did his family at Thanksgiving

http://www.suntimes.com/news/mitche...issed-opportunities-to-rescue-4-year-old.html

Last month, Cook County Judge Patrick James Murphy convicted Valdez of hospitalizing her 3-year-old son after punching him but sentenced her only to take parenting classes.

Apparently, Christopher was not battered enough.

While the judge found sufficient evidence to convict Valdez, he didn&#8217;t lock her up.

who is this Judge ?

and found out where the other 2 children have been: What&#8217;s even more puzzling is that two of Valdez&#8217;s older children are in the custody of their grandparents.

IL DCFS really missed the ball

This is difficult to write and I hope I don't offend anyone.

I cannot let her family (siblings, parents, and anybody else she saw on a regular basis AND who saw this poor child on Thanksgiving) escape w/out some blame here too. They must have been aware she had the DV charges recently, no? Somebody was concerned enough the NEXT DAY to say something to a relative who went for a welfare check (or to his bday party?) and later found his body.

IF this person (family or friend at Thanksgiving?) would have dared to step out of their comfort zone a little (to make a fuss at Thanksgiving, and it would have!) and say hold on a minute - this kid is not leaving with you - I'm calling CPS because something isn't right - the poor baby would be alive. Today.

As a society, we don't always want to ruffle feathers, overstep our boundaries. Just look at the Penn State fiasco. The Syracuse. If somebody would have said, HEY STOP!!!!! these wouldn't be the big scandals and outrage.

This child deserved better. He didn't receive it.

Brown Rice have you been in that situation ?
--DV-- nothing the cops can do unless theres bruizes or blood -- if you try to get protective over grandkids even your own kids )if they're with stepparant, the abusers will shut you out. So people try not to "rock the boat" it's a helpless situation.
Sure you can go grab the child - but you are gonna have to run and hide-forever.
Or you will end up with abduction charges or restraining orders, and the child will go directly back to the parent.
Don't blame the family - they have no power.

--DV-- nothing the cops can do unless theres bruizes or blood -- if you try to get protective over grandkids even your own kids )if they're with stepparant, the abusers will shut you out. So people try not to "rock the boat" it's a helpless situation.
Sure you can go grab the child - but you are gonna have to run and hide-forever.
Or you will end up with abduction charges or restraining orders, and the child will go directly back to the parent.

It has been reported that Christopher had a black/swollen eye the day before he was beaten to death. The "mother" was convicted of punching him just last month. The abuse to this child was nothing new.

The extended family was not in any "situation" remotely preventing them to step in and save this little boy. They didn't. Sorry. No excuses. They FAILED.

Looking at the boyfriend's mugshot, I feel I could easily punch that smug, punk azz smirk right off his stupid face. Seeing some of the family members in the video tells me they could have easily protected this child.

Lord, I wish I knew why people like this insist on continuing to procreate.

Valdez was convicted of domestic battery on Oct. 24 and sentenced to parenting classes and conditional discharge by Judge James Patrick Murphy. She admitted punching Christopher in July “because she was angry” and to using make-up to cover his injuries at that time, Hughes said in court Monday.

Valdez’s brother and sister-in-law found Christopher’s dead body wrapped in a blanket at his home in the 5100 block of South Trumbull on Friday after concerned relatives called and told them he had appeared at a Thanksgiving celebration with a swollen eye, Hughes said.

Christopher had refused to eat dinner and had vomited,
she said.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/new...th-birthday-chicago-mother-boyfriend-20111128

Mother convicted of beating the child a month earlier.
Child shows up with a "swollen eye", refusing to eat and puking.

I think that counts as bruises... and may have been looked into a little.
Or they may have been forced to seek medical treatment for him that day.

This isn't one of those "I think that kid is being abused but I have no proof" situations.
She was already convicted of it only a month before.
I think it would have been worth calling and giving the LE who responded ALL of the information.

THE BOY HAD BRUISES AT THANKSGIVING!!!! This is my outrage. At least one person saw it (reported it the next day to the mother's brother). If one person saw it (and did the right thing, but TOO LATE), other people did. The boy was vomitting and not eating.

It was a helpless situation because NOBODY HELPED HIM that day.

I'm not yelling (all caps) at you. I'm just frustrated. I understand all of the legal crap that happens when there is no physical evidence, LE/CPS can't do anything until something happens, etc. But often times, TOO MANY TIMES, there are signs that can be reported and aren't. In this instance, in my opinion only obviously, it was uncomfortable. Nobody wanted to confront this piece of trash parent at Thanksgiving.

You can tell a parent that you are calling CPS, but you cannot legally stop a parent from taking their child, no matter what you suspect, unless you happen to be a law enforcement officer, on the clock, and have witnessed the abuse first hand. That's still called kidnapping. You cannot restrain parent and child to keep them from leaving, because that is false imprisonment. You can call the police...but if no one saw the bruises intentionally inflicted by the parent, the most they will do is make a CPS referral. You can make a CPS referral, which has to be followed up on within a short number of business days, but likely would not have been followed up on before Christopher died.

The family did what they could, but the laws need to change before a family can do anything that stands a chance of saving a child.

ETA: CA is the only state, to my knowledge that has laws on the books that allows any private citizen to remove any child from a known abusive situation, provided that they call LE and take the child straight to the nearest police station or social services institution. This is a law that needs to go nationwide. If the abuse is proven, the kid is already out of harms way, and if it isn't proven, the kid goes home and the taker gets arrested.

Thank you for this comment, nao. We are going through a similar "situation" (aka "hell") right now. All that we can do is hope that our son wins full custody. We let our grandson know how much we love him and that even when he's not at home, he is always in our hearts. But when he's visiting his mother all we can do is anxiously wait his return and hope for the best.

You can tell a parent that you are calling CPS, but you cannot legally stop a parent from taking their child, no matter what you suspect, unless you happen to be a law enforcement officer, on the clock, and have witnessed the abuse first hand. That's still called kidnapping. You cannot restrain parent and child to keep them from leaving, because that is false imprisonment. You can call the police...but if no one saw the bruises intentionally inflicted by the parent, the most they will do is make a CPS referral. You can make a CPS referral, which has to be followed up on within a short number of business days, but likely would not have been followed up on before Christopher died.

The family did what they could, but the laws need to change before a family can do anything that stands a chance of saving a child.

ETA (5 minutes later than the original post): CA is the only state, to my knowledge that has laws on the books that allows any private citizen to remove any child from a known abusive situation, provided that they call LE and take the child straight to the nearest police station or social services institution. This is a law that needs to go nationwide. If the abuse is proven, the kid is already out of harms way, and if it isn't proven, the kid goes home and the taker gets arrested.

You're right - I am not advocating kidnapping. :maddening: The offenders have more rights than their innocent children in these situations.

However, the little boy was bruised and couldn't/wouldn't eat. If somebody got involved right then, confronted the parent, took the little boy aside, MAYBE something could have come out. But maybe not. Poor thing was probably scared to death and threatened with his life if he told anything. But with her previous charge of DV, and current/fresh discoloration of his skin, it may have scared her enough to lay off him one more night. Who knows.

ETA: I am changing my position and I do 100% advocate kidnapping if the child is being abused and authorities will do nothing. I sat here (while reading the disgusting thread about the NJ dad who threw his toddler strapped in a car seat into a body of water). I will willingly have myself arrested if I am positive a child is being abused and CPS will not listen to me.

This is the saddest thing I've ever heard. The family turned up with a cake and presents for his birthday, and found him dead. Murdered by his own parents, the poor little baby. Along with Christian Choate's story, this is the saddest story I've read here. I just don't know what to say, apart from RIP.

As for the family not dealing with the black eye on Thanksgiving - please! People like that need to learn to grow a pair. I've personally questioned a four year old about a black eye, and he wasn't even a family member. It wasn't even any of my business - I just waited till his parents were out of the room and asked him what happened, he said he tripped and fell in the dark at the cinema. His other classmates were also chattering on about their trip to the cinema that day, and corroborated his story of tripping in the dark. As did the boy's mother when she went down to the school and complained that her son had been left to negotiate a dark room on his own when he needed the bathroom. However....if I'd had any doubts about his story, or any other reason to suspect abuse, I would have been straight on the phone to social services.

A little vigilance goes a long way. MOO.

I understand the complexity of this type of situation. But just this week we are reading about a boy who has been removed from his home by CPS because he is severely overweight. This child WAS on the radar of CPS due to physical violence and they failed to save him. The disparity between the two just boggles my mind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back