1103 users online (212 members and 891 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

PA - Lackawanna Co., Human bones found, Oct'11 - Timothy Harris

Monday morning, two hunters discovered bones in a wooded area of SR247 near Moosic Lakes, A forensic anthropologist is examining the bones.

The state police and the Lackawanna County District Attorney are investigating.

Anyone who may be able to identify the individual is asked to call Pennsylvania State Police at 963-3156.

Read more: http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/pol...#ixzz1f7xUtdeX

More Coverage:

http://www.wnep.com/wnep-lacka-skele...,4574873.story

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/cor...#axzz1f6afIPsn

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/pol...#axzz1f6afIPsn

http://www.wnep.com/wnep-lacka-polic...,7188081.story
    Last edited by Harmony 2; 12-02-2011 at 04:07 PM.
    "Silence is very imporant. The silence between the notes are as important as the notes themselves." - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Read more: http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/pol...#ixzz1f8CzT8go

Photos of the victims shirt and ring from the link in the OP.

It looks like the back of the shirt reads "practise your escape plan".
    Can't quite make out the wording on the front of the shirt yet, but it is definately from a fire dept. Hopefully that is a clue which will help id the victim.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Is this anywhere near where Ray Gricar disappeared?
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

The front of the shirt says STVFD (Seminole Trail Volunteer Fire Dept, located in Albemarle County, Virginia)

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuthster View Post
    Is this anywhere near where Ray Gricar disappeared?
    No, this is the other corner of the state.

This area is off I-84 (Mount Cobb Exit), near the junction of I-380. It is a remote area on top of Moosic Mountain. Just drove that road the other day.

THe front of the shirt looks Like JTVFD then in the center 07 and at the bottom Station ??
    Last edited by petchie; 11-29-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Silence is very imporant. The silence between the notes are as important as the notes themselves." - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    The front of the shirt says STVFD (Seminole Trail Volunteer Fire Dept, located in Albemarle County, Virginia)
    Oh yeah, it could be an S, I saw a J at first.

I'm going to guess that JTVFD is Jefferson Township Volunteer Fire Department - so someone with local ties...hopefully this will be an easy solve.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Eyes View Post
    I'm going to guess that JTVFD is Jefferson Township Volunteer Fire Department - so someone with local ties...hopefully this will be an easy solve.
    That was my first thought as well, but would hope local authorities would have asked the Dept. The Dept was on scene since it was their territory and I am sure someone would remember if they printed those shirts. Most companies here are volunteer, and they are one dedicated set of guys.

Yeah, that makes more sense.

Wow, is it an S? It looked like a J to me. I see that STVFD has a fire safety program for boy scouts....wonder if these shirts were giveaways at a program in 07?

Wow, is it an S? It looked like a J to me. I see that STVFD has a fire safety program for boy scouts....wonder if these shirts were giveaways at a program in 07?
    No, it probably is a J now that you mention it. Seeing as how this body was found in Jefferson Township, the J makes more sense.

http://29FireRescue.com/Prevention.htm

From the fire prevention portion of the web site:

• As a reminder to parents, each year, every child that participates in our Fire Prevention Program is awarded a special fire prevention tee shirt that represents the National Fire Prevention theme for that year. For participating in our fire prevention program, students who attend our monthly breakfast and wear their tee shirts eat for free! This discount is available all year around and cycles from October to October. All that is required from you is to show up, with your child wearing the appropriate fire prevention tee shirt for that year.

The mystery surrounding a set of human bones found in a secluded area of Jefferson Twp. took a new turn on Tuesday after state police released pictures of a tattered T-shirt associated with an area fire company and other items found near the remains.

The T-shirt was imprinted with "Practice your escape plan" on one side and "JTVFC" on the other, the photographs showed.

Jefferson Twp. Fire Chief Jamie Wallace said he recognized the shirt after seeing the photos. Members of the volunteer fire company handed out roughly 400 of the shirts to Jefferson Elementary School students at a school event in 2007 to promote fire prevention and safety, Chief Wallace said.

Some of the T-shirts were worn by members of his department, and some also trickled out into the public, he said, but no members of his department are missing.

"I thought it was a little bizarre, but you really can't rule anything out," Chief Wallace said of it being found near the remains. "It's a lead for them (state police), but is it a cold lead? God only knows."

Read more: http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/jef...#ixzz1fBmkOPcb

What size was the t-shirt? If most of the 400 shirts were for elementary school kids they were likely youth sizes, so how many of the remaining shirts were adult sizes and how many of those can be accounted for?

Freebie promotional/event shirts like this would also be likely to wind up in clothing drives and thrift stores. At our local thrift you can count on finding "local interest shirts" from recent races/fun runs, Cub Scout packs and elementary school "school spirit shirts."

Our church had t-shirts made up for a charity run and we donated the extras en masse to a charity, so the decedent might have received his in a similar way. Just a few ideas...
    <-- Watched one too many Hanna-Barbera "teenage detective" cartoons as a kid.

This is the only male youth I could find missing on missingkids in PA
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US

He's only been missing since 11/1/11 however and there is an hour and 1/2 distance between where he disappeared and Jefferson TWP according to mapquest.

It definately sounds like someone local to have that tshirt.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast