Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    I am finding it so interesting that his name hasn't appeared. All other animals I've been blessed with have announced their names, and yes, some have morphed over time.

But he doesn't show his personality yet, and I am not going to name him "lump" (which is what he most resembles at this time. LOL...the hearth lump...).

He deserves a good, strong, noble name...he's had such a long, hard life, and has survived soooo much. He needs a name that reflects that, but also fits his personality. He just needs to show me his personality, someday. LOL.

And I'm not complaining. He can take all the time he needs in discovering his name, and showing his personality...he can take all the time he needs.

Best-
    Herding Cats

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Herding Cats For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Herding Cats View Post
    LOL, I do the same thing...which, in this household of cats, is probably not too bad a thing. LOL.

Yes, I'm still waiting on a name...I refer to him as my shy romeo, TS, Tobias, Sebastian, and, mostly, "sweet, good boy".

Best-
    Herding Cats
    Since you keep calling him Romeo, I'm thinking maybe that's his new name LOL

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rhyme & Reason For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
    Ok I think I'm done crying now....such a sad and happy story all at once!
    BBM - LOL are you sure about that?

It gives me sad tears & happy tears and every time I think I'm done crying...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rhyme & Reason For This Useful Post:

I got a pet/house sitter! The rescue recommended him, and he and I have spoken several times; he'll come over next week and meet everyone...this is outstanding. Yes, he's expensive, but it's last minute, and I'm just happy I don't have to move my sweet boy...

This sweet boy has got to grow a pair, though...I fed everyone, and was missing Malachi (who eats everything, all the time, and is always first at a bowl...). I came out to the living room, only to discover Malachi eating the dog's dinner, kibble and all. And the dog was sitting there, just watching him, not seemingly upset in the least. Cracked me up, that did...of course I moved Mal off the dish, but still...cracked me up. Mal got two dinners tonight, I guess...and will be giving off bad kitty farts for the rest of the night. LOL.

My little sweet boy has gotten his blue fleece back, and he's tucked himself up and is resting happily on it now. Bless his heart...he seems to love that thing, as old and beat up as it is, it's "his" now, I guess. He hasn't finished his dinner (maybe Mal has kitty boogers?), but he will...or Gracie will when she comes in (should be soon now).

So all is well here for the nonce...I just wish he'd take treats...it makes me so sad he doesn't trust anyone enough to take treats, because of all that's obviously been stuck in his mouth over the years...just makes me sad.

Best-
    Herding Cats

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Herding Cats For This Useful Post:

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    HC, just curious about the blue fleece. Is that something you gave him, or did he arrive with it from the rescue/foster?
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    HC, just curious about the blue fleece. Is that something you gave him, or did he arrive with it from the rescue/foster?
    It's one that I gave him when he came here...it was laying on the back of the recliner, and I needed something to pad the hearth...it was right there, so I grabbed it. And he's been laying on it since.

Best-
    Herding Cats

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Herding Cats For This Useful Post:

I'm so happy you got a sitter!! I'm in Northern Cal & was getting ready to offer to drive down LOL.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rhyme & Reason For This Useful Post:

Just a quick update for today: the sweetheart has been very quiet and mellow today, laying on his blue fleece and just observing things. I make it a point to go cuddle him several times a day, and he does accept the cuddles without shaking like a leaf now. He is more responsive to gentle facial strokes than anything else, and gets bothered when I 'lay' next to him. So, I sit next to him and just repeatedly, gently stroke one side of his nose or the other.

Nothing else to report...I am just thrilled he's not shaking constantly anymore, and we haven't had to use the herbs for a few days now. Both of these things are good improvements.

I haven't been insisting he go outside, as he's still so fearful of it. Next week, however, we will start incorporating that into our routine. It's so hard to figure out if I'm pushing things too far, or not hard enough, if that makes sense.

I'll keep muddling along, though.

Best-
    Herding Cats

16. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Herding Cats For This Useful Post:

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Dropping by to see how our little TS sweetie boy is doing today.

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

I know you were up late HC and it was a rough evening. Just hoping that today is going a little better, you must be getting ready for travelling. I hate packing, etc.

I hope TS is doing well today. I am truly amazed at how easily the rest of the household has accepted his addition to the family.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:

Yes, TL, it was a rough, rough night. I'm not leaving just yet - another 10 days or so, so...not packing yet (I am not quite that organized. LOL).

But we have BIG GOOD news today. Sweet TS came out, all the way across the living room, to meet Gracie this morning. She had her big stuffy in her mouth, which she sleeps with, and she took it over to his fleece, and laid it down. He was wagging his little tail, standing upright, and looking alert and relaxed...and I stood in the doorway and just watched. It made me grin on a morning that I was not happy to be awake in.

And, I discovered a bone from Gracie's toy box had been taken out, and chewed on...and it wasn't Gracie (although now she likes that particular bone more than any others). It was on the blue fleece, and I somehow doubt any of the cats have suddenly taken a liking to Gracie's bones. LOL...I'm gonna guess it was Sweet Romi's doing.

A bit later, I laid on the floor with Gracie, snuggling my girl, and he approached us, and sniffed her hoo-haw, and then went back and sat there, watching us. So I went over after about 5 minutes, picked him up, and placed him next to me out on the rug, with his front paws on my lap. I proceeded to massage his head, face, and shoulders, and he stayed with me for a few minutes...and then, when he did move, it was only to take his paws off my lap. And glory of glories, he's sniffing at my hand, and I swear, I swear, there was a bit of a nudge when I had stopped stroking his head and just held my hand out. He was asking for more...and I promptly gave it.

As for how everyone's getting along, I like to think I've got well adjusted cats and Gracie...they can withstand another animal, and they know they're still getting all the love and good food they need and want.

I'd like to think that, but the truth is that TS is so unobtrusive that I am sure a few of the kitties didn't even realize he was here for a few days. LOL. Then they figured it out - he's not chasing them, and he's just laying there, so he's nothing more to some of them than another warm thing to investigate when they want to, and since he leaves them alone...well........who knows.

I will say Gracie tried to sit on him again this morning, but he told her off; growled, and she listened to me telling her 'leave it' (she's very good when she's listening...).

So that's the current update...not a bad one at all, I don't think. Not a bad one at all. This week we will work on accepting outside as an alternative...I'm wondering if I should bring him into the backyard with Gracie, since he seems to really like her (and who doesn't like that big fuzz ball??).

Best-
    Herding Cats

22. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Herding Cats For This Useful Post:

Great news! TS is making some really quick strides. Some dogs might never develop the trust TS seems to be quickly finding for you and Gracie and the cat brigade.
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:

Wonderful news...!

(HC, what kind of dog is Gracie?)

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

IMO it's a good idea to bring him out to the backyard with Gracie. Even before any of my puppies bonded with the older dogs, they liked to go outside and follow them around. I believe puppies model the behavior of the older dogs -- that's how mine learned that you pee and poop outside, etc. Our dogs learn from us, but we cannot forget how important other dogs are for their learning and socialization.

Thank you for keeping us updated. Hugs to you and your four-legged friends for helping precious TS recover from the loneliness and cruelty of his previous life.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Penelope For This Useful Post:

Beli, Gracie is a 1 year old newfoundland who is amazingly gentle and smart, but also about 112 pounds and still loves to get rowdy.

Penelope, I did bring TS out back...but I thought Gracie was being too rough and tumble and TS was totally freaked out, so I brought him back inside. This was earlier last week, though, on like day 2, and he didn't show any interest in the Giant Goofball. He really does like her now, except when she sits on him, so...maybe another attempt at backyard time would yield good results.

She is a huge role model...and like I've said before, is showing TS that cuddling with me is a good thing, and so are bones...because yes, I've determined that he likes bones. He's still very shy of doing things around me, but I was gone for a few hours this afternoon, and the bones were moved again. LOL, and he was sniffing one that is on the carpet instead of his fleece, trying to figure out how to bring it to the fleece; it's a Gracie sized one, after all...

Thanks for the thought, Penelope...I think I will give him some backyard time...supervised, of course, but still...a bit of exposure and investigation with Gracie (she soooo wants to have him outside with her).

Best-
    Herding Cats

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Herding Cats For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast