1155 users online (219 members and 936 guests)  

Websleuths News

KC MO - Suicide of popular meteorologist stuns colleagues, viewers

Fox 4 struggles with death of meteorologist Don Harman (kansascity.com)
    Fox 4 weather forecaster Don Harman took his own life Tuesday, casting a pall Wednesday over Kansas City’s top-rated morning newscast.

The 41-year-old native of Marietta, Ohio, was found by his wife, Monica Johns, at their south Kansas City home shortly before 5 p.m. Police said the death was a suicide.

Fox 4, WDAF, held off announcing the news of Harman’s death because it wanted to reach Harman’s 79-year-old father, Gordon, in Ohio. But he was traveling, and in the 18 hours that it took to locate him, word leaked out of the station and onto social networks and blogs.
    ---
    At noon, Fox 4’s Kathy Quinn broadcast a statement from the station confirming Harman’s death.

“To all of us, Don was like family and the news comes as a great shock to all the people he worked with at Fox 4,” the statement read.

Fox 4’s dilemma in reporting Harman’s death was understandable, said Robert Steele, who teaches journalism ethics at DePauw University in Indiana.

“At some point, however, it’s very difficult to hold back on the story about this person who is very much a public figure,” Steele said.
    ---
    Harman is survived by his wife and a daughter.
    ---
    much more, with a picture, at Kansas City Star link above; more also to be found on the Fox4 news site

We loved this guy. His reporting of tornado activity was great. Sorry to hear of his passing.

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

Poor guy. RIP, Mr. Harman.

Three tribute videos from Fox4 linked here:

Don Harman tribute videos from Fox 4 (pitch.com)

So sad. No warning signs are mentioned. We had a football player and manager hang himself on sunday, Gary Speed. On the surface he had everything to live for
    RIP Mr Harman
    England's dancing days are done...

Daily Mail: News crew sobs on air after suicide of popular weatherman
    ---
    Mark Alford, who worked with Mr Harman for more than a decade, said his colleague was disturbed at work Tuesday, the day he went home and killed himself.

'He was in a mood that day,' Mr Alford said.

He paused. Trying to regain his voice: 'You know, we always tried to...'
    ---
    According to the reader comments section at one KC news site, this may have led to a terse, on-air confrontation.

more, with plenty of pictures, video, at link above

My daughters high school had two suicides and an OD in the last month. The student body is devastated. The kids were shocked about the initial suicide. He was a very popular and sweet and successful young man.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Probably K.C.'s best local news-blogger site: the excellent Tony's Kansas City, with The Don Harman Tribute.

Interesting. The Harman commentary starts about a third of the way down the page; many links here, including to TKC's first story about the death, as well as multiple Fox4/news media/local bloggers' pages on this sad subject.

I always got the impression that he was a sad clown on the inside. He tried to be very funny (I didn't think he was funny in the least but I know a lot of people did) but, to me, it was obvious it was just a cover for someone who was troubled inside.

I feel very sorry for his family, friends, and the KC community. He was pretty well-liked and respected in the community. His family and friends will wonder what they could have done differently for the rest of their lives. Very sad.

It's heartbreaking that he felt this was his only way out of whatever was troubling him. Tonight I'm adding all "tempted to" suicides to my prayer list, along with Mr. Harman's family and loved ones.

Wonder if he had any problems. That's really unfortunate.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wda...-trying_b31005

I think all the info in this article (including the videos) have already been posted. But there is an interesting comment in the comment section. Apparently Don worked with Jodi Huisentruit when she was abducted. I didn't know that until now....just kind of an interesting tidbit.

Quote Originally Posted by davehead21 View Post
    http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wda...-trying_b31005

I think all the info in this article (including the videos) have already been posted. But there is an interesting comment in the comment section. Apparently Don worked with Jodi Huisentruit when she was abducted. I didn't know that until now....just kind of an interesting tidbit.
    Wow that is interesting. All of this reminds me of a meteorologist in my area who committed suicide by nosediving his small airplane into the ground. There was a whole lot more to the story that most people would not have ever known about had he not chosen to commit suicide. Strange what people perceive as important when they feel they are in a crisis. I feel for anyone who thinks suicide is their only way out of their problems, for the problems could probably dealt with if the emotions could be overcome.

"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler".

Albert Einstein

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”.

Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Wow that is interesting. All of this reminds me of a meteorologist in my area who committed suicide by nosediving his small airplane into the ground. There was a whole lot more to the story that most people would not have ever known about had he not chosen to commit suicide. Strange what people perceive as important when they feel they are in a crisis. I feel for anyone who thinks suicide is their only way out of their problems, for the problems could probably dealt with if the emotions could be overcome.
    BBM

I agree!! I heard a quote once that always pops into my head when I hear of someone committing suicide-- suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I cannot imagine to be so far gone that I would think dying would be the best solution. I truly feel for people who feel suicide is the only way out.