848 users online (154 members and 694 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Kentucky church bans interracial marriage

Kentucky church bans interracial marriage
    By Eric Pfeiffer |

Stella Harville and Ticha Chikuni in a November 2010 photo by Harville (AP)

...A copy of the recommendation, obtained by WYMT, reads in part:

That the Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church does not condone interracial marriage. Parties of such marriages will not be received as members, nor will they be used in worship services and other church functions, with the exception being funerals. All are welcome to our public worship services. This recommendation is not intended to judge the salvation of anyone, but is intended to promote greater unity among the church body and the community we serve.

Members of the church held a vote on Thompson's proposed language, with nine voting in favor and six voting against. The other members in attendance chose not to vote....

The red coloring is done by me for emphasis.

I know this is not representative of all of Kentucky or the south as a whole, and the article points out that other churches in the area were quick to denounce this, but this is what makes people think the south is still very racist.

In 2009 we had the Louisiana Judge who refused to marry interracial couples too. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...enied+marriage IMO, people in those areas need to make a huge public display against this kind of thing in order to break the stereotype.

I'm not sure if the church is more against his being African American or the fact that he's highly educated, because there are a lot dumb ***** in that church. JMO

On the other hand I at least respect them for being openly honest. I think, and this applies to the whole country, that a lot of racism, sexism, anti-gay sentiment and religious hatred is kept behind the eyes these days.

Have these people even read the Bible?? Based on Jesus's geographic location he is most likely to have had darker skin and not what we see depicted in most images of what people think he looked like.

This is totally shocking,is this a different church to the story posted yesterday??

Everyone is the same on the inside whether they are Caucasian,African American,Asian etc the colour of someone's skin doesn't make the person I just wish everyone would think the same.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; The point is to discover them.

Jodi Ann Arias - GUILTY 1st Degree Murder

Sentence - LIFE Without Parole

Quote Originally Posted by josie1986 View Post
    Have these people even read the Bible?? Based on Jesus's geographic location he is most likely to have had darker skin and not what we see depicted in most images of what people think he looked like.

This is totally shocking,is this a different church to the story posted yesterday??

Everyone is the same on the inside whether they are Caucasian,African American,Asian etc the colour of someone's skin doesn't make the person I just wish everyone would think the same.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Can you link the story posted yesterday. Nothing came up when I searched, TIA.

I remember a story from a few years ago from Georgia. The school was intergrated, but they still had segregated proms. White prom and Black prom. I have no idea where Asian or Hispanic students fit in? If I am remembering correctly, a few White and a lot of Black students didn't want to have a segregated prom but they were met with a lot of defiance from the public and some students wanting to keep the proms segregated. It was a big deal and although there ended up being an intergrated prom, the White students still had a prom just for them.

I remember being really sad because my High School years were filled with so many close friends from all races.

It's really sad to hear that these things still go on. We have come so far, but we're obviously just not there yet.

My Aunt married a Black man back in the early 70's. They are still married today. My uncle and cousins are black and it can get very personal for me because I love them so much and they do not deserve to be treated like this. We are all humans.
    Justice for Trayvon

Honestly-in this day and age. I am sorry, but this story made me laugh only because I suspect that someone affiliated with the church is looking for their 15 minutes, kind of like the guy who announced he would burn the Koran.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

http://abcnews.go.com/US/kentucky-ch...ry?id=15065204

There are a couple of different MSM sources, but here is ABC.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/ma...pagewanted=all

A Prom Divided

Students from Montgomery County High School in Mount Vernon, Ga., before the prom.
    Photographs by GILLIAN LAUB; Text by SARA CORBETT
    Published: May 21, 2009

...“Most of the students do want to have a prom together,” says Terra Fountain, a white 18-year-old who graduated from Montgomery County High School last year and is now living with her black boyfriend. “But it’s the white parents who say no. … They’re like, if you’re going with the black people, I’m not going to pay for it.”...

Those parents are diseased. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/kentucky-ch...ry?id=15065204

There are a couple of different MSM sources, but here is ABC.
    Could you link the thread too? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    i searched my posts too and it seems to have disappeared,strange. but it was the story that believe posted.

im just shocked people can still be so small minded in the day and age
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; The point is to discover them.

Jodi Ann Arias - GUILTY 1st Degree Murder

Sentence - LIFE Without Parole

Quote Originally Posted by josie1986 View Post
    i searched my posts too and it seems to have disappeared,strange. but it was the story that believe posted.

im just shocked people can still be so small minded in the day and age
    I believe the thread was removed.

As a southerner, it's downright embarrassing.
    "Life's splendor forever lies in wait about each one of us in all its fullness, but veiled from view, deep down, invisible, far off. It is there, though, not hostile, not reluctant, not deaf. If you summon it by the right word, by its right name, it will come."
    - Kafka
    "Know the right moment."

What I type here is mostly my opinion.
    I really don't care if my opinions offend.

I wonder how this 'church' feels about American Indians, East Indians, Hispanics, Latinos and any other non-Caucasian group?

BIGOTRY=IGNORANCE

"but is intended to promote greater unity among the church body and the community we serve." I'm glad I am not part of that 'community'.

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

I'm going to try to say this in such a way that I don't get flamed to death.
    I DO NOT support the fact that the church has gone this far with their obvious bigotry. (I do congratulate the members that voted to oppose this, because I'm sure they were under great pressure to vote for it.)

That said, I do sometimes think that this is the best we can hope for, that people be up front and honest about the fact that they are bigotted. I don't believe for one moment that discrimination and racism will ever go away. So, in a way, maybe this is better than a church allowing an interracial couple to attempt to gain membership and be told that they are not welcome after attending the church for years, or being granted membership, but still not really being welcome. It's terrible to say to someone that they aren't welcome there because of their skin tone, but at least it's honest, and so much in the way of blatant racism or hatred or bigotry are hidden, and I feel that causes more damage.

Persoanlly, I would rather know, right up front, whether someone is going to hate me for something as stupid as how much melanin is in my skin so that I can just avoid them completely. That way, I don't have to deal with thinly veiled hatred, I'll already know that person is not quite stable as a human being, and I don't have to take part in my own discrimination by ever walking through the door.

And yes, I know about discrimination. I'm white, but my city isn't. SO, I've been there. I've seen it in ways that people tried to cover up, and I've seen it right out in the open. I prefer it in the open. The only people the church is hurting are themselves, by turning people against them and their belief system and costing themselves friendships and associations with some very positive people that can see beyond the color boundary.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    I'm going to try to say this in such a way that I don't get flamed to death.
    I DO NOT support the fact that the church has gone this far with their obvious bigotry. (I do congratulate the members that voted to oppose this, because I'm sure they were under great pressure to vote for it.)

That said, I do sometimes think that this is the best we can hope for, that people be up front and honest about the fact that they are bigotted. I don't believe for one moment that discrimination and racism will ever go away. So, in a way, maybe this is better than a church allowing an interracial couple to attempt to gain membership and be told that they are not welcome after attending the church for years, or being granted membership, but still not really being welcome. It's terrible to say to someone that they aren't welcome there because of their skin tone, but at least it's honest, and so much in the way of blatant racism or hatred or bigotry are hidden, and I feel that causes more damage.

Persoanlly, I would rather know, right up front, whether someone is going to hate me for something as stupid as how much melanin is in my skin so that I can just avoid them completely. That way, I don't have to deal with thinly veiled hatred, I'll already know that person is not quite stable as a human being, and I don't have to take part in my own discrimination by ever walking through the door.

And yes, I know about discrimination. I'm white, but my city isn't. SO, I've been there. I've seen it in ways that people tried to cover up, and I've seen it right out in the open. I prefer it in the open. The only people the church is hurting are themselves, by turning people against them and their belief system and costing themselves friendships and associations with some very positive people that can see beyond the color boundary.
    You know, I rather deal with someone who is open about their bigotry and hatred than someone who lies about it and claims they are against bigotry. I have seen those kind of people who say they are not bigoted and fight against it, but they are. They are the most dangerous kind of people. We all discriminate and are prejudiced to a certain degree. For some it just consumes them. Case in point, Fred Phelps or Osama bin Laden.

Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    You know, I rather deal with someone who is open about their bigotry and hatred than someone who lies about it and claims they are against bigotry. I have seen those kind of people who say they are not bigoted and fight against it, but they are. They are the most dangerous kind of people. We all discriminate and are prejudiced to a certain degree. For some it just consumes them. Case in point, Fred Phelps or Osama bin Laden.
    I've seen this too. There's always some "logical reason" for their prejudice that they try to use to cover up their bigotry.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”
    ― Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast