Kentucky church bans interracial marriage

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Kentucky church bans interracial marriage
By Eric Pfeiffer |

MarriageBan.jpg

Stella Harville and Ticha Chikuni in a November 2010 photo by Harville (AP)

...A copy of the recommendation, obtained by WYMT, reads in part:

That the Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church does not condone interracial marriage. Parties of such marriages will not be received as members, nor will they be used in worship services and other church functions, with the exception being funerals. All are welcome to our public worship services. This recommendation is not intended to judge the salvation of anyone, but is intended to promote greater unity among the church body and the community we serve.

Members of the church held a vote on Thompson's proposed language, with nine voting in favor and six voting against. The other members in attendance chose not to vote....

The red coloring is done by me for emphasis.

I know this is not representative of all of Kentucky or the south as a whole, and the article points out that other churches in the area were quick to denounce this, but this is what makes people think the south is still very racist.

In 2009 we had the Louisiana Judge who refused to marry interracial couples too. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90275&highlight=interracial+couple+denied+marriage IMO, people in those areas need to make a huge public display against this kind of thing in order to break the stereotype.

I'm not sure if the church is more against his being African American or the fact that he's highly educated, because there are a lot dumb ***** in that church. JMO

On the other hand I at least respect them for being openly honest. I think, and this applies to the whole country, that a lot of racism, sexism, anti-gay sentiment and religious hatred is kept behind the eyes these days.

Have these people even read the Bible?? Based on Jesus's geographic location he is most likely to have had darker skin and not what we see depicted in most images of what people think he looked like.

This is totally shocking,is this a different church to the story posted yesterday??

Everyone is the same on the inside whether they are Caucasian,African American,Asian etc the colour of someone's skin doesn't make the person I just wish everyone would think the same.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Have these people even read the Bible?? Based on Jesus's geographic location he is most likely to have had darker skin and not what we see depicted in most images of what people think he looked like.

This is totally shocking,is this a different church to the story posted yesterday??

Everyone is the same on the inside whether they are Caucasian,African American,Asian etc the colour of someone's skin doesn't make the person I just wish everyone would think the same.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Can you link the story posted yesterday. Nothing came up when I searched, TIA.

I remember a story from a few years ago from Georgia. The school was intergrated, but they still had segregated proms. White prom and Black prom. I have no idea where Asian or Hispanic students fit in? If I am remembering correctly, a few White and a lot of Black students didn't want to have a segregated prom but they were met with a lot of defiance from the public and some students wanting to keep the proms segregated. It was a big deal and although there ended up being an intergrated prom, the White students still had a prom just for them.

I remember being really sad because my High School years were filled with so many close friends from all races.

It's really sad to hear that these things still go on. We have come so far, but we're obviously just not there yet.

My Aunt married a Black man back in the early 70's. They are still married today. My uncle and cousins are black and it can get very personal for me because I love them so much and they do not deserve to be treated like this. We are all humans.

Honestly-in this day and age. I am sorry, but this story made me laugh only because I suspect that someone affiliated with the church is looking for their 15 minutes, kind of like the guy who announced he would burn the Koran.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24prom-t.html?pagewanted=all

A Prom Divided

600x330_laub_blackprom_2009_0313.jpg

Students from Montgomery County High School in Mount Vernon, Ga., before the prom.
Photographs by GILLIAN LAUB; Text by SARA CORBETT
Published: May 21, 2009

...“Most of the students do want to have a prom together,” says Terra Fountain, a white 18-year-old who graduated from Montgomery County High School last year and is now living with her black boyfriend. “But it’s the white parents who say no. … They’re like, if you’re going with the black people, I’m not going to pay for it.”...

Those parents are diseased. 'Nuff said. :banghead:

Can you link the story posted yesterday. Nothing came up when I searched, TIA.

i searched my posts too and it seems to have disappeared,strange. but it was the story that believe posted.

im just shocked people can still be so small minded in the day and age

i searched my posts too and it seems to have disappeared,strange. but it was the story that believe posted.

im just shocked people can still be so small minded in the day and age

I believe the thread was removed.

I wonder how this 'church' feels about American Indians, East Indians, Hispanics, Latinos and any other non-Caucasian group?

BIGOTRY=IGNORANCE

"but is intended to promote greater unity among the church body and the community we serve." I'm glad I am not part of that 'community'.

I'm going to try to say this in such a way that I don't get flamed to death.
I DO NOT support the fact that the church has gone this far with their obvious bigotry. (I do congratulate the members that voted to oppose this, because I'm sure they were under great pressure to vote for it.)

That said, I do sometimes think that this is the best we can hope for, that people be up front and honest about the fact that they are bigotted. I don't believe for one moment that discrimination and racism will ever go away. So, in a way, maybe this is better than a church allowing an interracial couple to attempt to gain membership and be told that they are not welcome after attending the church for years, or being granted membership, but still not really being welcome. It's terrible to say to someone that they aren't welcome there because of their skin tone, but at least it's honest, and so much in the way of blatant racism or hatred or bigotry are hidden, and I feel that causes more damage.

Persoanlly, I would rather know, right up front, whether someone is going to hate me for something as stupid as how much melanin is in my skin so that I can just avoid them completely. That way, I don't have to deal with thinly veiled hatred, I'll already know that person is not quite stable as a human being, and I don't have to take part in my own discrimination by ever walking through the door.

And yes, I know about discrimination. I'm white, but my city isn't. SO, I've been there. I've seen it in ways that people tried to cover up, and I've seen it right out in the open. I prefer it in the open. The only people the church is hurting are themselves, by turning people against them and their belief system and costing themselves friendships and associations with some very positive people that can see beyond the color boundary.

I'm going to try to say this in such a way that I don't get flamed to death.
I DO NOT support the fact that the church has gone this far with their obvious bigotry. (I do congratulate the members that voted to oppose this, because I'm sure they were under great pressure to vote for it.)

That said, I do sometimes think that this is the best we can hope for, that people be up front and honest about the fact that they are bigotted. I don't believe for one moment that discrimination and racism will ever go away. So, in a way, maybe this is better than a church allowing an interracial couple to attempt to gain membership and be told that they are not welcome after attending the church for years, or being granted membership, but still not really being welcome. It's terrible to say to someone that they aren't welcome there because of their skin tone, but at least it's honest, and so much in the way of blatant racism or hatred or bigotry are hidden, and I feel that causes more damage.

Persoanlly, I would rather know, right up front, whether someone is going to hate me for something as stupid as how much melanin is in my skin so that I can just avoid them completely. That way, I don't have to deal with thinly veiled hatred, I'll already know that person is not quite stable as a human being, and I don't have to take part in my own discrimination by ever walking through the door.

And yes, I know about discrimination. I'm white, but my city isn't. SO, I've been there. I've seen it in ways that people tried to cover up, and I've seen it right out in the open. I prefer it in the open. The only people the church is hurting are themselves, by turning people against them and their belief system and costing themselves friendships and associations with some very positive people that can see beyond the color boundary.

You know, I rather deal with someone who is open about their bigotry and hatred than someone who lies about it and claims they are against bigotry. I have seen those kind of people who say they are not bigoted and fight against it, but they are. They are the most dangerous kind of people. We all discriminate and are prejudiced to a certain degree. For some it just consumes them. Case in point, Fred Phelps or Osama bin Laden.

You know, I rather deal with someone who is open about their bigotry and hatred than someone who lies about it and claims they are against bigotry. I have seen those kind of people who say they are not bigoted and fight against it, but they are. They are the most dangerous kind of people. We all discriminate and are prejudiced to a certain degree. For some it just consumes them. Case in point, Fred Phelps or Osama bin Laden.

I've seen this too. There's always some "logical reason" for their prejudice that they try to use to cover up their bigotry.

I'm in the south and I can't think of 1 church in my area that would do this.

While I believe this to be the highest form of ignorance, we should not stoop to their level & call "people" names or deem an entire group of people as bigots. Generalizing seems to get us in trouble.

I was taken aback at the initial title of the thread which had the link to this story but totally understand the sentiment.

I have a hard time with people who profess to be Christian & do not follow the teachings of Christ . . .

Is calling a bigot a bigot name calling? How so. I've never seen the word used as an insult but only as a description. If I say these church people are racist is that name calling as well?

There are many bigots in the world and Christians who don't follow the teachings of Christ but instead go around and try to tell others how they should live their lives, just like these church goers. Not all of course.

I would suspect that most churches are segregated anyway because neighborhoods are segregated etc etc. The article I posted yesterday had a comment that 11-12 on Sunday morning is the most segregated hour in the US.

I'm sure more people don't say how they really feel since they know it's going to have bad consequences.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/11/03/louisiana.interracial.marriage/

www.dictionary.com

bigot
- noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

This covers most people with strong opinions about ANYTHING. Those who are intolerant of differing opinions it seems.
So I guess that's a lot of people.

I think the word is grossly misused, misunderstood, and over used.

I don't think having a strong opinion is the same thing as being a bigot. Sorry a person who is really into Justin Beiber is NOT a bigot.

efinition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

These church goes are definitely bigots. Intolerance of bigotry is not "having a different opinion" it's standing up to something vile. What has been overused a lot in the world is the way people will try to claim their rights are violated because they have to interact with someone they are prejudiced against. Then they try to claim people are being bigoted towards them. But intolerance of bigotry is not bigotry. It's decency.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back