This Really Bugs Me! In A Big Way!!

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ggest-bug-that-depends?chromedomain=worldblog

World's biggest bug? That depends...

111201-coslog-insect-415p.jpg

Entomologist Mark Moffett found this carrot-eating giant weta in a tree on New Zealand's Little Barrier Island. The cricketlike critter weighs 2.5 ounces (71 grams) and has a length of 7 inches (17.8 centimeters)

Alan Boyle writes

Is this the world's biggest bug? As with all superlatives, it depends on your definition. But the sight of a New Zealand giant weta chomping down on a carrot surely has to give you the creeps, even if it's rivaled by other giant creepy crawlies.

This particular species of the cricketlike creature — known as a giant weta or wetapunga to the Maori, and as Deinacrida heteracantha to scientists — is found only in protected areas such as New Zealand's Little Barrier Island. That's where Mark ("Doctor Bugs") Moffett, an entomologist and explorer at the Smithsonian Institution, found the specimen after two nights of searching.

"The giant weta is the largest insect in the world, and this is the biggest one ever found," Britain's Daily Mail quoted Moffett as saying. "She weighs the equivalent to three mice. ... She enjoyed the carrot so much she seemed to ignore the fact she was resting on our hands and carried on munching away. She would have finished the carrot very quickly, but this is an extremely endangered species, and we didn't want to risk indigestion."...

That's a bug only his/her momma could love.

EEEWWWW!

Just when I was getting ready to go out to eat tonite. Lost my appetite!

That is one ugly bug!

:pullhair: :noooo: :gasp: :shocked2:

Well, I think he's cute. I'm always amazed at the symmetry mother nature bestows on all her children. Look at the perfection in the patterns on his legs! I guess it's all in perspective :)

Why thanks, SD. Here I thought I was gonna open it up to a complaint about people who didn't love Emu's or sumfin.

I wasn't quite expecting to see a bug eating a carrot. ECHHHH...BLECH...COUGH...COUGH....

How am I gonna get that piccie out of my head as I go off to make dinner for the guys!

blech, blech, blech....

:)

Mel

Why thanks, SD. Here I thought I was gonna open it up to a complaint about people who didn't love Emu's or sumfin.

I wasn't quite expecting to see a bug eating a carrot. ECHHHH...BLECH...COUGH...COUGH....

How am I gonna get that piccie out of my head as I go off to make dinner for the guys!

blech, blech, blech....

:)

Mel

What's for dinner? Chocolate covered ants? :giggle:

Well, I think he's cute. I'm always amazed at the symmetry mother nature bestows on all her children. Look at the perfection in the patterns on his legs! I guess it's all in perspective :)

If one of those things landed on me I'd freak out, but he is cute munching on the carrot there.

Just had a random thought....took it to the random thought thread.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back