Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast
    Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    I could be wrong, but it looks to me like he just answered with what he's hoping to major in -

As in, what are you studying? Accounting. Engineering. Biomedical Science. Architecture. His answer is Education.

Respectfully, when studying education there is generally an area of education one is studying. for example, early childhood education..... IMO "education" was the first thing that popped into his head and he needed the extra time to come up with a more detailed explanation when asked/pressed for additional information.

I'll be more than willing to eat crow if a convicted felon with drug and weapons charges can gain employment as a teacher or social worker.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

I'd like to see the surveillance video, and whether it shows Bianca looking active and healthy.

It's weird, sometimes you think you know something, like she was severely beaten, and it turns out to be a red herring and incorrect.

Wonder how the financial aid thing went. Was it encouraging - or did he feel like it wasn't going to happen.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:

I wonder if the college uses the FAFSA...a lot of schools do now, it's the only program that many will use to determine financial aid. You cannot apply for loans through FAFSA with any drug possession or felony charge.

He could get private loans, but that would require him to have a decent credit score, and that doesn't happen when you're poor, usually.

One of the only ways to beat this is to provide a certain number or a certain time period worth of clean drug screens and no further problems with the law.

I went and checked my paperwork.

ETA: He might not have had to print any financial aid paperwork from home. The paperwork that he needed might have related to his convictions, sentencings, and criminal record since. Those are the things that a financial aid officer would have had to see in order to determine if he was eligible for any type of financial aid at all.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Respectfully, when studying education there is generally an area of education one is studying. for example, early childhood education..... IMO "education" was the first thing that popped into his head and he needed the extra time to come up with a more detailed explanation when asked/pressed for additional information.

I'll be more than willing to eat crow if a convicted felon with drug and weapons charges can gain employment as a teacher or social worker.
    Not with the State, probably - but there are a lot of convicted felons who work in private nonprofits - their story is compelling because they're turned their lives around so dramatically.

Programs to turn around young people headed for a life of crime, or a life on the streets, that kind of thing.

I don't see any crimes related to children on his record, or any violent crimes, I don't think.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    I wonder if the college uses the FAFSA...a lot of schools do now, it's the only program that many will use to determine financial aid. You cannot apply for loans through FAFSA with any drug possession or felony charge.

He could get private loans, but that would require him to have a decent credit score, and that doesn't happen when you're poor, usually.

One of the only ways to beat this is to provide a certain number or a certain time period worth of clean drug screens and no further problems with the law.

I went and checked my paperwork.
    Scholarships maybe? I know there are scholarships for every kind of thing - B students who are going in to business, students from a particular high school, etc. I would bet there are probably scholarships for people who have been offenders before and want to better their lives.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:

Was the child actually seen on surveillance at the school with the dad?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrsu For This Useful Post:

Scholarships maybe? I know there are scholarships for every kind of thing - B students who are going in to business, students from a particular high school, etc. I would bet there are probably scholarships for people who have been offenders before and want to better their lives.
    But many of them are federally sponsored, and federal money goes away with a drug conviction. Other felonies, you can get scholarships, not with drug felonies. America's war on drugs and all.

If they didn't use the FAFSA, he might have been able to apply for more, but if the college does use FAFSA, he would have been told right off the bat that there was nothing available to him.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

I'm sure that Wayne would use FAFSA,every other local college here does. I 'm familiar with the process as I was a FAFSA college student for a time years back.
    Unwritten--I'm undefined... I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned..."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guinevere For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    According to Wayne Community Colleges website, they do use FASFA.

http://www.wcccd.edu/dept/financialaid.htm
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
    I'm sure that Wayne would use FASFA,every other local college here does. I 'm familiar with the process as I was a FASFA college student for a time years back.
    And not offer private scholarships too?

You can get federal aid, and you can additionally apply for scholarships from various businesses or charities or private individuals, or PTA, etc. here.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Secondary teachers generally major/minor in specific subject areas, i.e. English, History, Foreign Language, Biology, etc. Most elementary teachers focus on a particular age/grade level, i.e. Early Childhood, Lower Elementary, Upper Elementary with group majors/minors that might include Science/Social Studies, Reading/Language Arts, Music, Art, Physical Education, etc. I was certified to teach all subjects in Grades 7 and 8, English/Language Arts/Journalism Grades 9-12.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsu View Post
    Was the child actually seen on surveillance at the school with the dad?
    I wondered about that, too. This is the first that I've heard of it.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
    Secondary teachers generally major/minor in specific subject areas, i.e. English, History, Foreign Language, Biology, etc. Most elementary teachers focus on a particular age/grade level, i.e. Early Childhood, Lower Elementary, Upper Elementary with group majors/minors that might include Science/Social Studies, Reading/Language Arts, Music, Art, Physical Education, etc. I was certified to teach all subjects in Grades 7 and 8, English/Language Arts/Journalism Grades 9-12.
    He seems less focused at this point than that - he's not even sure whether to head toward teaching or social work, so I don't see that he's got a narrow focus yet.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:

And not offer private scholarships too?

You can get federal aid, and you can additionally apply for scholarships from various businesses or charities or private individuals, or PTA, etc. here.
    Oh I'm sure they use scholarships also. Criminal Rehabilitation programs are proby also available. We are talking the City of Detroit here where crime stats are high. With the college being downtown I'm sure there are options available for people with past criminal history.

At this point with the convictions I'm not sure he would have had FAFSA assistance at all, just speculating on what how he was planning on paying for school with all these dependants and baby mamas & without a job as I have not heard of him being employed.
    Unwritten--I'm undefined... I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned..."

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guinevere For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
    Oh I'm sure they use scholarships also. Criminal Rehabilitation programs are proby also available. We are talking the City of Detroit here where crime stats are high. With the college being downtown I'm sure there are options available for people with past criminal history.

At this point with the convictions I'm not sure he would have had FAFSA assistance at all just speculating on what how he was planning on paying for school with all these dependants and baby mamas without a job as I have not heard of him being employed.
    There are several campuses of WCCC: http://www.wcccd.edu/about/maps_and_directions.htm

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BetteDavisEyes For This Useful Post:

Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast