1271 users online (247 members and 1024 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    edit to add:
    ugh I posted the link and it pops up like this

so go to this page:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20078763.shtml
    you will see a link that says watch the full episode

wrong link that is 48 hours mystery
    my bad

Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    I suspect that this guy is watching the online discussions. Police should take the time to gather IP addresses of people following the case, focus on those that are in the areas where women were abducted (first case included) and where they were dumped, and follow up on them. I suspect that they could use technology to find the guy, but it would require quite a bit of work.
    I have been saying this forever. You nailed it. His technology has to be used against him. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

From a recent post by me:

Speaking of the killer more than likely visiting this site, I always wondered why there hasn't been more of a case made for using the technology this guy uses to contact his victims against him. If I'm right, and I may not be, a cell phone has no IP address. It accesses the web by connecting to an external server (set-up by the provider, and only designed to operate a set number of phones) with an IPv4 address. The devices that operate on this server do so via an IPv6 or MAC address to communicate through that IPv4 internet proxy server I mentioned above. With today's smartphones, this has never been faster, or easier to do with a mobile device. So if he were to use his cell to visit Craigslist and view the ads that way, the IP address, more or less, would remain unchanged, but rather generic as mobile companies don't use the traditional XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX. structure, simply because there are WAY too many phones to give each it's own unique IP address. Therefore, that seems like it might be difficult to track down. And I have no idea if company's like Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile even keep track of such mobile internet use. Now, if he were to use his home computer to access Craigslist (assuming his provider doesn't change) his IP remains the same and is, in contrast, easily traced. Finding the ads these girls posted on the website, and then matching up an IP address which had viewed all the victims ads at some point seems somewhat obvious. Doesn't it? Maybe I'm over, or underthinking this, but even if those particular ads posted by each victim received thousands of views, locating an IP that visited them all would be somewhat easy. Now, if multiple IP addresses visited them (which is very likely) you then have more than one suspect to look into. If he is going to a place like a public library or an internet cafe to gain internet access (which seems very unlikely), it could make it much more difficult to track the individual down. We know he uses throw away phones registered to the likes of Mickey Mouse. So I don't think his identity will be found via that avenue, but on the internet (computer) you leave a trail that can be rather easily followed wherever you go. Maybe I'm just spinning my wheels here. Has there ever been any word or reports from the media or friends/family of the victims if they had access to the deceased persons e-mail account(s)? I know it's highly unlikely this guy e-mails these chicks and says "Hey, let's hang out." But who knows? He's gotten more brazen as time has gone on. Anything is possible. Berkowitz got caught because of a parking ticket. What are the odds of that happening? Food for thought.
    Last edited by CMan0928; 05-08-2012 at 02:08 AM.

And if law enforcement could ever figure out a way to present to the public the killer's voice from the phone calls to MB's sister in a way that was respectful to the victim's family, non diminishing to their case or overloading to their tip line, I think it might be a worthwhile avenue to pursue IMO; if they actually have his voice which I have to think that they do. A killer named Terry Driver in Canada was caught this way. He made taunting calls to the police after killing and raping a couple of girls. The police played his voice for the public via a 1 800 number that anyone could call. The attacker's mother and brother did exactly that and turned him in.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldnotes View Post
    And if law enforcement could ever figure out a way to present to the public the killer's voice from the phone calls to MB's sister in a way that was respectful to the victim's family, non diminishing to their case or overloading to their tip line, I think it might be a worthwhile avenue to pursue IMO; if they actually have his voice which I have to think that they do. A killer named Terry Driver in Canada was caught this way. He made taunting calls to the police after killing and raping a couple of girls. The police played his voice for the public via a 1 800 number that anyone could call. The attacker's mother and brother did exactly that and turned him in.
    I couldn´t agree more!!!
    And I just DO NOT understand WHY they don't release his voice.
    Well, the ONLY reason that I can think of is that they actually DO KNOW who the killer is, but that they so far does not belive that they have evidence enough to convict him.

BUT...wouldn't a voice match be evidence enough to convict him?

Anyone knows?
    Hi, english is not my first language so please bear with me

Quote Originally Posted by Theforeigner View Post
    I couldn´t agree more!!!
    Well, the ONLY reason that I can think of is that they actually DO KNOW who the killer is, but that they so far does not belive that they have evidence enough to convict him.

Anyone knows?
    I'm not sure about the legality of a voice analysis, but it would most likely be a nail in the coffin. Along with DNA, fibers, motive and oppurtunity, it could be something a judge would allow to be presented. Look, the CIA uses this technology to confirm when Osama Bin Laden used to release audio tapes. They would compare it to know samples and at minimum be able to dertimine if the tapes were authintic and even be able to tell roughly when they were made.
    As a musician I can tell you there is some really good software out there that can boost and eliminate certian freq's. It is amazing!!!! As an example, we needed some megaphone effects. Something that was just blaring in the back ground. Our producer found a yout&§e clip, cut it, eliminated the background noise, and got the effect he wanted.

I doubt they have recordings of his voice. He called a cell, not a landline. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. My guess with the guy that they caught in Canada was that since he called the police they were recording that line at all times. But that's just speculation on my part. This guy has to be caught. He has no value for human life. Who made him judge, jury, and executioner? My gut tells me he lives in the city, which would explain his connection to the Port Authority. He's upper-middle class and he's tech and police procedure savvy. Other than that, who knows? The other thing I have always found really strange was how these girls break their rules for this guy. Leaving their phones behind, not telling anyone where they're going, etc. It's very odd. Either this guy is one hell of an actor or he's just using plain old fashioned cash to get his way. I'm not sure. But if you were one of these girls and someone offered you a grand in cash, but in the next breath said "Don't bring a phone or let anyone else come with you when we meet up", wouldn't that tip you off that something was up? I just don't get it. The worst part about this is that New York has no death penalty. This guy has to die. He's got to. But that's just my opinion. I know it's a touchy subject. If we lived a few hundred years ago after he was put to death we would simply discard his body in the bushes to rot like he did to all those young ladies. F*ck him.

Quote Originally Posted by Theforeigner View Post
    I couldn´t agree more!!!

Anyone knows?
    No it wouldn't, I'm sure we would all recognize Hackett's voice immediately but since all he has done is deny deny deny, and LE knows his family isn't going to turn him in, it would prove useless as "voice line ups" are controversial at best in the court of law.

moomoo

Isn't the AC serial killer sketch based on the prostitute's report that a john with a shoe fetish became threatening and told her he'd killed people? I think the sketch looks like the handyman who was living in the motel and arrested on other charges. The woman should be able to identify any of these men though and rule them out as the man she was with.

Someone posted on another thread that they were doing another 2 hour special on this case. I would confirm independently.

Quote Originally Posted by LINative13 View Post
    Someone posted on another thread that they were doing another 2 hour special on this case. I would confirm independently.
    I really hope that they are doing another special on the case. This case needs to continue to get nationwide publicity, IMO.
    Do you have language questions or letters/documents that you'd like to have examined in order to determine the language background of the writer? I can help!

Anymore news on this? Are they doing another special?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleChris View Post
    Anymore news on this? Are they doing another special?
    yes, Mari Gilbert had posted about it a couple times but said she didn't want to post the date yet in case 48 hrs changed it...and she posted this on Saturday on the family Facebook

I would just like to thank our lawyer, John Ray for being Shannan's voice and to 48 hours for continuing to search for the truth.

A & E LISK show

Quote Originally Posted by Just K View Post
    Does anyone have a copy of this A&E special or know how one can view it online? Did anyone do a transcript?
    A&E is the 2nd link/video down. I found it by accident, as it isn't labeled.

http://www.google.com/search?q=www.d...&client=safari

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7