1040 users online (219 members and 821 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation Woman dies from using tap water in a neti pot to irrigate her sinuses.

Louisiana woman dies from rare infection

DESOTO PARISH, LA (WAFB) -

A DeSoto Parish woman has died of a rare, brain-eating ameba.

The Department of Health and Hospitals says the 51-year-old woman was infected by the deadly ameba, Naegleria fowleri, after using tap water in a neti pot to irrigate her sinuses.

A neti pot is commonly used to irrigate sinuses and looks like a genie's lamp.

http://www.ksla.com/story/16202318/l...rare-infection

This article scared the youknowwhat out of me
    I don't use a neti pot but I do use a sinus irrigation bottle with the sea salt and regular tap water. I won't be doing that ever again.

IMO I don't understand why people do this. It's like waterboarding yourself!

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    I've done it many times (using tap water- I guess I won't be using tap water anymore unless I boil it). It helps with sinus issues.
    Just my opinion

Well Jaysus....I use one and my nostrils feel like I could snort an elephant eyeball after I use it...no lie!Works for me.

I'd like the mystery of Natalie Wood's death to be solved once and for all you sleuthers...so let's shake a leg.

I don't want to be known in my family as the woman that died from a Netti Pot accident.Damn!Just Damn!Help a sister out!

I am on borrowed time and it's Christmas time!!!

Hells No! It's flushing out all of the invaders!Show some damn mercy thank you very muches!

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    I've done it many times (using tap water- I guess I won't be using tap water anymore unless I boil it). It helps with sinus issues.
    Warm tap water and sea salt here.

That was EXACTLY the analogy I used when I began to try it, Linda. But six months later (six months that included taking a specific antibiotic), I was finally cured of sinusitis that had plagued me for a decade.

But I need to research this amoeba and see if it can really survive salt, baking soda and baby shampoo...

Yep, you are advised to use distilled water. I am never too circumspect about that...but dayum, I will be now. I don't use it much as I did not see a great result and did not like getting that carp all over my face....maybe I should have stuck with it longer. I have a load of sinus issues. SERIOUS ISSUES.

Didn't we have a thread about this earlier this year? There was a man that died the same exact way from using a neti pot with tap. Or am I misremembering? (a word my grandfather would use )

Quote Originally Posted by stilettos View Post
    Yep, you are advised to use distilled water. I am never too circumspect about that...but dayum, I will be now. I don't use it much as I did not see a great result and did not like getting that carp all over my face....maybe I should have stuck with it longer. I have a load of sinus issues. SERIOUS ISSUES.
    They sell this stuff in Rite Aid called "Simply Saline" in can the one with red letters. That works great and I never felt I like I was drowning!

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticFringe View Post
    Warm tap water and sea salt here.
    Yes, of course you have to add salt. You can't just use water. I use the special salt pockets that come with the bottle (I use a special bottle instead of neti pot-the same thing but easier to use). But no more tap water.
    Just my opinion

All I know is I was using mine weekly for a couple of months for unfreaking believable sinusitis. I was in so much pain I researched just about everything you can put in those things with water to help clear you up, vinegar(don't ever do that...set my every nerve in my body on fire), hydrogen peroxide (very minute amount added to the salt water and I honestly thought I'd just killed myself...just don't do it!) In all my google searches I can't remember reading DO NOT use tap water.

Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    All I know is I was using mine weekly for a couple of months for unfreaking believable sinusitis. I was in so much pain I researched just about everything you can put in those things with water to help clear you up, vinegar(don't ever do that...set my every nerve in my body on fire), hydrogen peroxide (very minute amount added to the salt water and I honestly thought I'd just killed myself...just don't so it!) In all my google searches I can't remember reading DO NOT use tap water.
    I have "postnasal drip" so I have been using these things for years. It does say on the bottle to use distilled water or previously boiled water but I just always used tap water. No more.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    That was EXACTLY the analogy I used when I began to try it, Linda. But six months later (six months that included taking a specific antibiotic), I was finally cured of sinusitis that had plagued me for a decade.

But I need to research this amoeba and see if it can really survive salt, baking soda and baby shampoo...
    Baby shampoo? Okay I don't feel so bad about the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Bet that burned like a son of a gun too.

My daughter swears by neti pots. She uses one for chronic allergies. I made sure to tell her about this though and to not use tap water, just to be on the safe side.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast