Results are in on charred wood found during Susan Powell search

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
By nate carlisle

The Salt Lake Tribune
First published 6 hours ago
Updated 3 hours ago

West Valley City police on Tuesday said a laboratory has finished examining suspicious charred wood found during a desert search for Susan Cox Powell, but the department would not say whether the wood bears a connection to the missing woman.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53060244-78/powell-police-susan-wood.html.csp

I was just coming to post about this ! SO no discussion from LE on the results ? Things that make you go hmmmm .....

:sigh: I was so excited when I saw the title to this thread! Dang it.

I know BUT there may be something. The last time they rattled joshie he and daddy went on GMA and daddy got popped. Keep your fingers crossed.

:sigh: I was so excited when I saw the title to this thread! Dang it.

Here's are some theories;

It has nothing to do with Susan but the police suspect that Steven Powell is the one who disposed of the body and never told Josh where. They might think that by not saying anything Josh might be feeling the pressure of wondering if they did find her.

It is Susan's remains but the PD doesn't have enough evidence to charge JP with murder. IIRC, this search was nowhere near where JP said he was that night. So they are going to Steve in prison and offering him a plea deal if he will testify against JP and they aren't ready to say anything until that's finalized.

It is Susan's remains but they don't have enough to charge JP with anything yet and are keeping silent on what they found because they know that JP knows what they found and they want to see how he reacts. They are also poring over all the evidence with the DA to see if they can make a strong case against JP and hoping he'll say or do something stupid in the interim.

It also piques my curiousity that JP filed for custody of the kids two days ago. The day after this article; http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53060244-78/powell-police-susan-wood.html.csp about the findings coming back was first published.

JMO

Reread this thread, interesting now in view of current events.

If he used an axe on Susan, (as he did in the murder of his boys), maybe he burned it along with other evidence such as bloody clothes. When he dissappeared again at the beginning of the investigation, maybe he went back to retrieve the head of the axe, which would not burn.

Sorry to be so explicit, but I've wondered about the chop wounds on the boys. They were little; if he had hit them with an axe in the neck, it seems to me that the blow would nearly decapitate them, but it didn't even do enough damage to keep them from breathing in enough carbon monoxide to kill them. If he struck them with an axe head held in the palm of his hand, that could explain the nonfatal wounds.

Maybe the bits of wood recovered by LE were from part of the axe handle. MOO

LE could be trying to determine if gasoline was the only accelerant.

LE could be trying to determine if gasoline was the only accelerant.
The charred wood that is being referenced here has to do with what was discovered at a possible campsite that was located during a search for Susan. This is not about the house he decided to turn into an inferno.

I wish they would offer more information on this now that he's given himself a life sentence in Hades.

By nate carlisle

The Salt Lake Tribune
First published 6 hours ago
Updated 3 hours ago

West Valley City police on Tuesday said a laboratory has finished examining suspicious charred wood found during a desert search for Susan Cox Powell, but the department would not say whether the wood bears a connection to the missing woman.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53060244-78/powell-police-susan-wood.html.csp

Since JP is dead and all that has happened, I think they owe the public to tell what they found out. Just my opinion but I'm so angry and feel everyone at WS could have done a better job with this whole case.

The charred wood that is being referenced here has to do with what was discovered at a possible campsite that was located during a search for Susan. This is not about the house he decided to turn into an inferno.

I wish they would offer more information on this now that he's given himself a life sentence in Hades.

I wonder, though......if that charred wood they found last year might have gasoline on it as an accelerant. They could certainly start seeing a pattern with him. And I wonder if he didn't use that same hatchet to chop the wood off the sled riders (if he used a sled to transport Susan's body over land) so he could burn the wood. That doesn't explain where the rest of the sled would be, though.

If he used an axe on Susan, (as he did in the murder of his boys), maybe he burned it along with other evidence such as bloody clothes. When he dissappeared again at the beginning of the investigation, maybe he went back to retrieve the head of the axe, which would not burn.

Sorry to be so explicit, but I've wondered about the chop wounds on the boys. They were little; if he had hit them with an axe in the neck, it seems to me that the blow would nearly decapitate them, but it didn't even do enough damage to keep them from breathing in enough carbon monoxide to kill them. If he struck them with an axe head held in the palm of his hand, that could explain the nonfatal wounds.

Did LE find an entire axe/hatchet next to the bodies or was it just the head? Did they say?

So the chop wounds were "little"? When I heard the axe blows (can anything be more horrifying??!!) didn't kill them I was wondering if that is because maybe JP was so despondent and weak or maybe he had taken some kind of drugs that would make him sedate.

The wood they found was just a small amount, too, wasn't it?

He didn't use an axe, he used a hatchet on the boys. It's much smaller than an axe and doesn't do as much damage. I have a hatchet that's used for camping. It's not as heavy as the axe we have in our tool shed.

They said they found the hatchet with the bodies. I don't recall if they said it was burned or not complete.

These articles are from the time the evidence was first found - approximately 4 months before the 189th Street Court East Home explosion. Around the time of Steven Powell arrest. LE stated approximate 3 months for results of testing of the evidence discovered. {Charred wood, clothing and bone}
Article from 16 SEPTEMBER 2011
(CBS/KIRO/AP) JUAB COUNTY, Utah - A search in the Utah desert for missing woman Susan Powell took a strange turn Thursday when the site that authorities said contained human remains turned up no body parts, but a police lieutenant said he thought there was a "50/50" chance Powell's remains could be found there........
But CBS affiliate KIRO reported that about 2 feet of dirt had been excavated and no bones were found. Police did not say why they earlier stated that they had found human remains when none had actually been found......
Because the site is on government land, a federal anthropologist was brought in to examine the site Thursday to see if it was part of an ancient burial ground. ...

Different article 29 SEPTEMBER 2011

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) – West Valley City has spent more than $500 thousand dollars on the Susan Powell case, but Mayor Mike Winder says it’s paying off. "We feel that we are getting to that tipping point where we have more hot evidence than we have had in the past two years."
Mayor Mike Winder says that includes trailers full of evidence from both the Powell residence in Washington and the most resent search of the Topaz mountain area. "We have bones, we have charred clothing, we have charred wood, with what the cadaver dogs are excited about, and that we are doing DNA analysis on."

First Article
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20107241-504083.html
Second Article
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top_stories/story/Susan-Powell-case-is-at-a-tipping-point/UKndT35q0kSO43n678Qesw.cspx

He didn't use an axe, he used a hatchet on the boys. It's much smaller than an axe and doesn't do as much damage. I have a hatchet that's used for camping. It's not as heavy as the axe we have in our tool shed.

They said they found the hatchet with the bodies. I don't recall if they said it was burned or not complete.

I suspect a hatchet as well however on HLN they first described it as a hatcher or small axe. This may be where some confusion started. MOO

Whoa! I knew only that they had announced they had found charred wood, not that they had acknowledged finding charred bone and clothing. That's pretty big to me. I wish they could tell us more, but perhaps they can't yet. Maybe, just maybe there are pending arrests that prevent them from doing so. I can hope anyway.

Thank you DevilsPlayThing for that link to that second article. I don't think I'd seen that one before.

I never heard this before!!!

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53854460-78/powell-mine-hardman-mines.html.csp?page=2

"Only one mine left a question in his mind, one that the group publicly announced would be searched the weekend of June 25-26, 2010. When they arrived, they discovered someone had poured gasoline down the 300-foot-deep shaft and also set fire to the wooden supports at the surface. It was still smoldering and they had to call off the exploration."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53854460-78/powell-mine-hardman-mines.html.csp?page=2

"Only one mine left a question in his mind, one that the group publicly announced would be searched the weekend of June 25-26, 2010. When they arrived, they discovered someone had poured gasoline down the 300-foot-deep shaft and also set fire to the wooden supports at the surface. It was still smoldering and they had to call off the exploration."

Wow!! That's not obvious?! Why didn't they send down a remote camera? :banghead: I'd bet dollars to donuts that if they moved the debris they'd find her body.

Amazing. It didn't occur to them to put out the fire, and search it immediately?

It didn't occur to them not to tip off a suspect by telling him and everyone else that a dump site would be searched? JP and SP just had to have help inside this investigation. That's the only thing I can figure out for all these "coincidences."\

JMO

What was the time frame from when the search was announced to when the search took place? Where was josh; is this the time of his other camping trip?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back