GUILTY WA - David Silverstein & Lyudmila Shimonova for welfare fraud, Seattle, 2011

This is an outrage. One can only help they will also be charged criminally, in addition to the restitution and penalties. They are selfish criminals and a disgrace to their Jewish heritage.

Comments following the article making complaints that the gov. isn't asking enough from the couple in asking for repayment, and $11,000 fine for each charge.

In some ways they are right. In most cases, this type of fraud would result in criminal charges. But in that case it would end up costing the gov. not only for the prosecution but also for the incarceration. This way there is some chance of getting some of the money back.

But he was a chiropractor. They should also be checking his office records. If she was fraudulently collecting welfare, there is a good possibility that he could have been fraudently collecting from medicare and medicaid claiims.

Comments following the article making complaints that the gov. isn't asking enough from the couple in asking for repayment, and $11,000 fine for each charge.

In some ways they are right. In most cases, this type of fraud would result in criminal charges. But in that case it would end up costing the gov. not only for the prosecution but also for the incarceration. This way there is some chance of getting some of the money back.

But he was a chiropractor. They should also be checking his office records. If she was fraudulently collecting welfare, there is a good possibility that he could have been fraudently collecting from medicare and medicaid claiims.

Mysteriew, you are absolutely right about checking the good doctor's office records for medicare and medicaid fraud. I did not think of that. Perhaps this is why the DA had not determined criminal charges yet. And, what about the IRS?

Is the $11,000 per claim, i.e., each month they collected money? This would add up to a considerable sum.

They will get it all back and then some. They are asking for full repayment and an $11000 fine for each false claim. There could be many false claims.

Mysteriew, you are absolutely right about checking the good doctor's office records for medicare and medicaid fraud. I did not think of that. Perhaps this is why the DA had not determined criminal charges yet. And, what about the IRS?

Is the $11,000 per claim, i.e., each month they collected money? This would add up to a considerable sum.

They said per charge. So it depends on how they figured the charges. They could file one charge for each month they cashed each check. But usually they don't. Still with that amount of money, I would expect to see quite a few charges.

The way they worded the programs that were defrauded it is like they are trying to hide which program it is. But to me it looks like possibly FHA or the Calif equivalent or some subsidized housing, SSI, and Food stamps. Maybe. To have received that amount she would have had to be ineligible and collecting for a long time.

<Respectfully snipped>

BBM: one of the most fraudulent ridden specialties in billing . . . Wow! They totally need to look at his records

Couple received $135,000 in federal housing assistance, plus money from a federal program for destitute disabled people and a state program meant to feed poor families.

&#8220;All these programs are need-based programs, meaning that a person can qualify for the programs only if he or she demonstrates that his or her income or resources fall below a certain level,&#8221; the HUD agent told the court.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Fed...t-lived-in-million-dollar-home-134943613.html

she received more than $1,200 a month in public housing vouchers, plus monthly cash from the federal and state government for a disability, as well as food stamps.

Living large, traveling the world, enjoying life to the fullest! This kind of thing makes me seethe!

Many people temporarily down on their luck cannot get government assistance. Yet the "pros" who haven't had a wage-earner for generations, or like this couple, riding high on the system..... I cannot say anymore, it wouldn't be ladylike & I do not want to get banned for profanity. SEETHE, I tell you!!!!!

My Opinion: Two of every three welfare workers should be investigating fraud instead of signing on more clients.

From what I have read I don't think they would have caught this one without a specific complaint.

From what I have read, the key seems to be that the couple is believed to be married. Which would make his income countable for her. But what they presented to the government is that they weren't married and that he was her landlord and charged her rent.

Prison for Wealthy couple Who Took Welfare

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...hy-seattle-couple-who-took-welfare/?tag=stack

A Seattle couple who collected welfare while living in a $1.2 million waterfront home are headed to prison.

A federal judge sentenced chiropractor David Silverstein and his longtime partner, Lyudmila Shimonova, to 18 months in prison Friday. Silverstein also must pay a criminal fine of $30,000, even though he's already paid $334,000 in restitution and civil penalties.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back