Parents required to prove their baby isn't Lisa multiple times

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
I searched for a sightings thread and only found one and it had been closed.

Wasn't sure where to put this, so if you know of a thread please alert on my post and ask a mod to merge? TIA!

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/09/3312107/family-of-similar-child-is-caught.html

Posted on Fri, Dec. 09, 2011 11:09 PM

Family of similar child is caught in baby Lisa nightmare

Since Northland girl vanished, police and strangers have demanded Overland Park parents prove identity of their child.

Then three older women surrounded her.

“How old is your baby?” they asked. One of them pulled down Lucy’s blanket and lifted the baby’s dress to inspect her legs.

O-M-G, people are actually getting close enough to this child to do that? No, no, no! Call it in!

This Mom presented her child's insurance card, vaccination records...etc. To LE and proved that it was her child. She wasn't upset she was glad that people were looking for Lisa.

But...

But then it happened again. And again. Five times in all, Amy and her husband, David, have had to prove to law enforcement officers that they are indeed Lucy’s parents.

She had another woman follow her from department to department in a Walmart.

She didn't get the cops called on her that time because her baby looks like Lisa but...

. But within a few days, she was again explaining herself to officers, who stopped her as she left a grocery store.

They took her baby from her while other shoppers stared at her. The officers searched her grocery bag and looked at her receipt.

They encourage people with tips to call the Tips Hotline at 816-474-8477 (TIPS) so the information will be routed directly to them.

Amy said she wants people who think they have spotted Lisa to call police, but not try to touch the baby or insult the parents.

Okay, I am so glad that people in Kansas (and other states) are looking for Lisa. It makes me feel very good to know that. That she hasn't been forgotten.

But c'mon, who in the right mind thinks it's okay to walk up and touch an unknown baby just to satisfy your curiosity that this is not Lisa?

I don't blame this Mom for being scared. Back when we had sightings of another child in 2008 (that child was later found deceased and her mother aquitted of murdering her) we actually had some posts here where it was said if the person saw a child that looked like that missing (now deceased child) they would snatch the child and run. And then go to the police.

I kid you not.

So please please just call. Don't touch, don't follow, don't engage the person with the baby that is thought to be Lisa in convo---just call it in (posted for people who read here but aren't members).

Wow. I pray that Lisa is found, but I also pray this family gets a break.

That would be so scary... I would probably start wearing a placard with an enlarging of her birth certificate on it.

I don't understand why the police are coming to their home repeatedly...Don't they have an e-mail list or something where they can circulate a memo saying that if someone calls in baby Lucy it's a false lead, these parents have already been checked out tons of times??

Don`t they log the calls? Wouldn`t they see that the same family waa called on several times and it turned out to be a false sighting?:waitasec:

The poor mom! She's probably afraid to even go out in public with her baby. Can you imagine what a nightmare it would be if they actually believed this was Baby Lisa, and took her away, even for a day?

How is this not harassment? Do these parents have any legal recourse?

Yeah, I'm confused why the police have had to do this more than once?

This goes back to the question as to if LE believes BL is alive or not.

I don't see it having to do with what LE may or may not believe.

I think it shows they're being thorough in their investigation and following all leads, leaving no stone unturned, just like many have been saying about LE since Lisa went missing.

The fact that total strangers are going up to this woman and close to her baby is frightening and way out of line! :furious:

I'm pleased people are keeping an eye out for BL, but they should be respectful. Everyone has a cell, just use it, call police, and never, never touch the baby. This poor mother and father.

I fully support people calling in tips, but this poor little girl...and her family.

To have strangers always staring at her or touching her, to have a strange person actually take her from her mother's arms or having another pulling up her dress, that crosses so many lines.

I really feel for this family. I think if it were me, to protect myself, and my kids from any further issues like this, I would seriously consider moving. If that weren't possible, I would speak to an attorney about a way to mediate this with the police department, so that they can have a way to check, without disrupting anyone's life, and see if this woman had gone out with her daughter that day.

Yes, Lisa needs to be found, but this family has had about enough, and the search for Lisa shouldn't be having a negative impact on another little girl's life.

People may be calling different LEA's and they are responding...depending on where this baby has been seen with her parents...

Wasn't sure where to put this, so if you know of a thread please alert on my post and ask a mod to merge? TIA!

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/09/3312107/family-of-similar-child-is-caught.html

Since Northland girl vanished, police and strangers have demanded Overland Park parents prove identity of their child.

O-M-G, people are actually getting close enough to this child to do that? No, no, no! Call it in!

This Mom presented her child's insurance card, vaccination records...etc. To LE and proved that it was her child. She wasn't upset she was glad that people were looking for Lisa.

But...

She didn't get the cops called on her that time because her baby looks like Lisa but...

. But within a few days, she was again explaining herself to officers, who stopped her as she left a grocery store.

Okay, I am so glad that people in Kansas (and other states) are looking for Lisa. It makes me feel very good to know that. That she hasn't been forgotten.

But c'mon, who in the right mind thinks it's okay to walk up and touch an unknown baby just to satisfy your curiosity that this is not Lisa?

I don't blame this Mom for being scared. Back when we had sightings of another child in 2008 (that child was later found deceased and her mother aquitted of murdering her) we actually had some posts here where it was said if the person saw a child that looked like that missing (now deceased child) they would snatch the child and run. And then go to the police.

I kid you not.

So please please just call. Don't touch, don't follow, don't engage the person with the baby that is thought to be Lisa in convo---just call it in (posted for people who read here but aren't members).

I tell you one thing...if those women touched my baby...either they would be going to jail...or I would. No one has the right to lift up a baby's dress...NO ONE. :furious::maddening::banghead:

Unfortunately, I don't think it's necessarily an indicator of what LE believes. :( Even if they strongly believe Lisa to be deceased and even if they have some evidence toward that end, since her little body hasn't been found, I think they're duty-bound to investigate potential sightings. I think they will continue following up leads until Lisa is found or they compile enough evidence without remains to arrest and convict someone.

But...

I kid you not.

And the strange thing is, that baby girl does not look that much like Lisa! Similar, maybe, but not enough to hound this mom like they have done.

I have seen a commercial a couple times recently, can't remember what they're advertising, but there is a baby that looks remarkably like Lisa.

Yes, I agree with you that people should not do the crazy things that were described in that article but it's surprising how many crazy people there are in this world. I see cute babies and kids every time I go to Wal Mart, but I would NEVER touch one of them without the parent's permission. I don't even approach them, because I don't want to scare the child. Can you imagine this mom's horror that some stranger was lifting up the child's dress?? I think I would seriously knock someone on their butt for that!!

I tell you one thing...if those women touched my baby...either they would be going to jail...or I would. No one has the right to lift up a baby's dress...NO ONE. :furious::maddening::banghead:

I am not a violent person by any stretch, but I do believe if someone had attempted this when my daughter was a baby, something violent would have happened. I think I would be okay with someone maybe stopping me and asking me to talk to LE, but in the meantime they better keep their hands off my child.

I am praying for this family. That baby must look incredibly like Lisa.

What concerns me is that there are different agencies checking on to see if this is Lisa as well as one agency that has done it multiple times. Aren't these agencies communicating with one another about Lisa? Just trying to puzzle it out.

What concerns me is that there are different agencies checking on to see if this is Lisa as well as one agency that has done it multiple times. Aren't these agencies communicating with one another about Lisa? Just trying to puzzle it out.

I also wonder if they are obligated to check it out anyway. . .they being LE.

I feel for that family. :(

JMO but they would have to check all the living baby sightings if they think there is a chance that they might prosecute a no-body case some day.

It could be reasonable doubt if the defendant's attorney can point to a number of sightings that weren't checked out. So you accused my client of killing Lisa but you don't know if she is even dead, she was seen alive in the Walmart ten miles away but the police never bothered to show up because they were determined to pin it on my client.

I totally agree!

Snipped from article:

Then three older women surrounded her.

“How old is your baby?” they asked. One of them pulled down Lucy’s blanket and lifted the baby’s dress to inspect her legs.

Other shoppers whispered and pointed Amy’s way.

“They think this is baby Lisa,” she realized. The woman was checking Lucy’s leg for the birthmark on Lisa Irwin’s right thigh.

I think it's good that so many people are on the look-out for Baby Lisa, but IMO these women were way out of line. The woman had no right whatsoever to touch the baby, and she especially did not have the right to lift up the baby's dress to "check" her legs for a birthmark.

AFAIK, even LE would have needed either the parents' consent or a search warrant to do what this woman did.

I will also add that I don't think the baby in the article looks like Baby Lisa at all.

The correct protocol would have been to call 911 and let LE handle it.
All I can say is that some folks need to seriously get a grip & to take a reality check. Perhaps that so-called $100,000 reward has warped the common sense of some folks (if they possess common sense to begin with).

Newsflash: $100,000 does NOT give the public carte blance to take matters into their own hands. It does NOT give the public the right to surround a mother & her infant, & to lift up that infant's dress to "check" for anything at all!

IMO, this woman should be charged with a crime. In some states, her actions would be considered assault on a minor (regardless of her justifications for her behavior).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncdukefan
Back