869 users online (123 members and 746 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,173

    Baby declared dead revived by mother after 2 hours

    This mother held her premature baby for two hours across her chest in what is called 'kangaroo care' in Australia and he opened his eyes and is now 5 months old. The mother had twins and the daughter survived but the boy was declared dead shortly after birth.

    snip:

    After Kate was told Jamie didn’t make it, nurses placed the baby across Kate’s bare chest so Kate and David could reconcile themselves to his death.

    “I wanted to meet him and to hold him and for him to know us,” Kate Ogg told Curry. “If he was on his way out of the world, we wanted for him to know who his parents were and to know that we loved him before he died.”

    But a strange thing happened on their way to farewell. After five minutes, Jamie began displaying short, startled movements. As Kate and David looked on, his movements became more pronounced.
    beautiful story. The parents were on the Today Show with the twins.

    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/389884.../#.TuZ5bla8g8s

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Nothing to see here, move along...
    Posts
    7,966
    Just perfect. Thanks so much for posting this...thanks so much.

    Best-
    Herding Cats

  3. #3
    belimom's Avatar
    belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,562
    What a beautiful story...
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

    My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,173
    Baby Jamie just after he 'wakes up'. We must always have hope.



    http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/baby...827-13uoa.html

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,173
    Jamie's occasional gasps for air were dismissed by doctors as a reflex action, or 'death throes'.

    "After just five minutes I felt him move as if he were startled, then he started gasping more and more regularly," said Kate.

    "I thought, "Oh my God, what's going on?" A short time later he opened his eyes. It was a miracle."

    "'I told my mum, who was there, that he was still alive. Then he held out his hand and grabbed my finger.
    'He opened his eyes and moved his head from side to side."

    The parents sent news to the doctor who had delivered Jamie but he dismissed them, claiming it was impossible. A midwife continued to film the movements, and once given breast milk on his mother's finger, he began breathing regularly.

    "At that point the doctor came back. He got a stethoscope, listened to Jamie's chest and just kept shaking his head," recounted Kate.

    "He said, 'I don't believe it, I don't believe it."


    http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/baby...827-13uoa.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In my own reality...it's nicer here.
    Posts
    12,006
    I absolutely love miracles and this is one of the sweetest I've ever seen!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,815
    My friend saw this story and got very upset. her child was pronounced dead at birth and she was unable to hold him because she was sedated and now she is beside herself with grief because she thinks he may have come back to life too. I do not know what to say to her.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,173
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    My friend saw this story and got very upset. her child was pronounced dead at birth and she was unable to hold him because she was sedated and now she is beside herself with grief because she thinks he may have come back to life too. I do not know what to say to her.
    I'm so sorry for you and your friend. xoxoxoxo She should have gotten to hold her baby, at least to have skin on skin contact for a few minutes. So sorry karydid.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,290
    What a wonderful story to read.

    It's a shame some mothers (if you want to cal them that) does just the opposite as this mother did. This Mother gave her baby life, some are taking the babies lifes.
    Last edited by QueenD; 12-12-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: (sp)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,815
    Quote Originally Posted by matou View Post
    I'm so sorry for you and your friend. xoxoxoxo She should have gotten to hold her baby, at least to have skin on skin contact for a few minutes. So sorry karydid.
    I know. She feels so guilty now. But she was sick and in pain and they pretty much knocked her out. And the father of the baby gave them permission to prepare him for the burial etc. He did not think of that part. he was trying to protect his wife but she is inconsolable still. And this story threw her for a loop. So sad.

    This story is wonderful and I should not derail the joy of it. It is a holiday miracle for sure, Amen.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,165
    I love the story, but see it not so much in terms of "a mother's miracle," but rather in terms of inept physicians. Thank God though for the nurses, who placed the child across the mother's body.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,173
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    I love the story, but see it not so much in terms of "a mother's miracle," but rather in terms of inept physicians. Thank God though for the nurses, who placed the child across the mother's body.
    Yes, I agree. She had a midwife who may have placed the baby across her chest. Mine did the same immediately after the birth of my daughter. The baby needs the warmth and scent of the mother, skin on skin must happen right away even before the placenta comes out.

  13. #13
    belimom's Avatar
    belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,562
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    I know. She feels so guilty now. But she was sick and in pain and they pretty much knocked her out. And the father of the baby gave them permission to prepare him for the burial etc. He did not think of that part. he was trying to protect his wife but she is inconsolable still. And this story threw her for a loop. So sad.

    This story is wonderful and I should not derail the joy of it. It is a holiday miracle for sure, Amen.
    Katydid, my brother and his wife lost a baby at about the same 'age'. She did hold against her skin and cuddle him for a long time before they took him away. And he didn't "come back"...

    I think this story is a very rare miracle and blessing.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

    My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,815
    Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    Katydid, my brother and his wife lost a baby at about the same 'age'. She did hold against her skin and cuddle him for a long time before they took him away. And he didn't "come back"...

    I think this story is a very rare miracle and blessing.
    Thank you. That was kind of what I ended up saying to her. I said that many mothers held their lost children that way and no such miracle took place. And I think the main problem is the baby was born and lost in December, so this is a
    very hard time for them. But she is pregnant now so please send her good thoughts,[ nickname Ellie] so she can have a happy Easter instead.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  15. #15
    belimom's Avatar
    belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,562
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Thank you. That was kind of what I ended up saying to her. I said that many mothers held their lost children that way and no such miracle took place. And I think the main problem is the baby was born and lost in December, so this is a
    very hard time for them. But she is pregnant now so please send her good thoughts,[ nickname Ellie] so she can have a happy Easter instead.
    Katydid, do they have any other children? I lost my first one before DS was born - and it was extra hard b/c at that point we didn't know if we'd ever be able to have children. My brother and SIL has two already, then lost the little boy born at about 26 wks, then went on to have three more. So there is hope...
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

    My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Mom says cuddling premature baby declared dead brought him to life
    By TrackerSam in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2015, 05:15 PM
  2. Baby girl recovering after being declared dead at Humber hospital
    By Valleyboy in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2013, 11:24 PM
  3. Toronto Baby Declared Dead....shows vital signs 90 min later!
    By airplanelamp in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2013, 07:53 PM
  4. Mother & Baby Die During Birth-Both Revived
    By MaryLiz in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 10:07 AM
  5. Baby pronounced dead lives after hours in cooler
    By wildTrose in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 11:37 AM

Tags for this Thread