993 users online (183 members and 810 guests)  

Websleuths News

Penn's woods

Australia - Terry James Floyd, 12, Avoca, 28 June 1975

NOTE: I may have his town wrong, please alert a mod to ammend the title if it is incorrect. I have no knowlege of Australian geography. Thank you!

13 Dec, 2011 04:57 PM

THE state government has pledged $25,000 to find a central Victorian boy who vanished 36 years ago.
    Maryborough's Terry James Floyd disappeared when he was 12.
    Terry’s brother Daryl , who has spent years looking for him, believes he is buried in a mine shaft at Avoca.
    Some background reading:

The link directly above has articles.

15 Sep, 2010 01:00 AM

Victoria Police homicide detectives have investigated at least two suspects but have not laid any charges.

Picture of Terry from link directly above:

Come home soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Photo may hold key to missing boy case

It is hoped a photograph of a panel van may help solve the mystery of what happened to a 12-year-old boy who went missing in central Victoria 35 years ago.

"The police are very happy to receive this because a couple of months after Terry went missing, this person painted his panel van orange," he said.

"So they never had the original photograph of the panel van and what it looked like at the time."

More: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-1...74?section=vic

Bumping for Terry.

I grew up and still currently live in Maryborough, Vic which is just a 25 minute drive from where Terry disappeared in Avoca. Terry was from Maryborough.
    All though I wasn't alive when he vanished, I remember being told about him a lot when I was younger. In recent years, I've heard many different stories as to who people think may have been responsible for his disappearance, some all leading to one man. I feel incredibly sad that his mum and dad have since passed away and had to do so without ever knowing what happened to their little boy, that just breaks my heart. His brother Darryl has spent thousands of dollars digging up a mine where he believes Terry is buried, I really hope he finds him soon and so that he finally has the closure he deserves.

Melbourne, Australia
    Excavation of the gold mine where Terry may be buried has started again April 6 2013:

Also possible new lead:

The head of the homicide squad's cold case unit is chasing fresh information about Terry's disappearance.

Det Sen-Sgt Ron Iddles was given evidence last month that implicated a paedophile in the disappearance of Terry, 12.

The Herald Sun revealed in 2010 that convicted paedophile Raymond Kenneth Jones, now 60, had been implicated in Terry's abduction and murder.

Jones was on bail when Terry disappeared on June 28, 1975. He was later convicted of indecently assaulting a boy in a Ballarat toilet and jailed for two years.

Sen-Sgt Iddles still considers Jones the prime suspect and will check whether Jones has any connection with the latest paedophile nominated as being involved in Terry's disappearance.

VIDEO: Search continues for missing brother

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

up north

National Missing Persons Week throws the spotlight on those who haven't returned

By Eloise Johnstone July 30, 2013, midnight

YOUTHS account for the majority of the region's missing person's cases and a lot of them are repeat offenders, local sergeants say.

Relatives of Terry Floyd, Sarah MacDiarmid and Joanne Ratcliffe push for $1m rewards to solve murders

June 10, 2014 9:00PM
    THE brother of missing schoolboy Terry Floyd has started a campaign to have all murder rewards set at $1 million. His $1 million reward push has the support of relatives of other victims, including the father of murdered 23-year-old Sarah MacDiarmid. They argue the reward system in Victoria doesn’t treat all cases fairly and equally.

“How can the murder of one person be worth a $1 million reward whereas the murder of another is only worth $100, 000 — or nothing in some cases?” Daryl Floyd said yesterday.
    Terry has been missing for 39 years today.

Missing Persons Week: Where are they?

Terry Floyd vanished 38 years ago from the intersection of the Sunraysia and Pyrenees highways on June 28, 1975.

Detectives investigating the case at the time believed Terry was abducted and murdered.

Last 30 minutes of Terry Floyd's life revealed as police announce $1m reward in murder of 12-year-old

Police have authorised a $1 million reward for information that convicts the killer of 12-year-old Terry Floyd, who is believed to have been abducted from the side of a road at Avoca in 1975.
    Terry's ever-constant champion, his younger brother Daryl Floyd, says it is a glimmer of hope after almost 40 long years

Just call me Tootsie

"Police investigating letter"

Older brother Daryl Floyd recently received a letter with more information about what happened on the day of Terry’s disappearance.

The 12-year-old is believed to have been abducted from the side of the road while waiting for a lift in Avoca on June 28, 1975.

Mr Floyd believes his younger brother was murdered, with his body dumped in a nearby mine.

The anonymous letter writer said he saw a car, matching the description provided by other witnesses, near the Lead Dam in Avoca.

Bumping; an article from last month on the search for Terry.

The brother of 12-year-old Terry Floyd – who was allegedly murdered and thrown down a mine shaft near Avoca in 1975 – says he will never give up the search, despite the state government refusing to fund the excavation of the mine shaft.

Mr Floyd has spent more than $100,000 excavating the mine shaft east of Avoca since 2010.

The search was initially supported with $50,000 from Victoria Police and $25,000 from the state government, when it was believed the mine shaft was just one-third of its actual depth.

Since the mine was found to be far deeper, the search has received no additional funding.