1119 users online (222 members and 897 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - San Mateo Co., Child Skull UP9597, 5-7, on beach near San Gregorio, Mar'06

https://identifyus.org/cases/9597

This was just recently listed in NamUs

Case Report - NamUs UP # 9597

Case number 06-0797
    Date found March 26, 2006 at 12:00 AM
    Date created December 11, 2011 at 06:14 PM
    Date last modified December 13, 2011 at 03:26 AM

Local Medical Examiner/Coroner Contact
    Agency San Mateo Cnty Coroners Ofc
    Phone 650-312-5562
    Email rfoucrault@co.sanmateo.ca.us

Case Manager
    Name Kristine Gamble
    Email kgamble@smcgov.org

Estimated age: PreAdolescent
    Minimum age 5 years
    Maximum age 7 years
    Race: Unsure
    Sex: Unsure
    Weight (pounds) , Cannot Estimate
    Height (inches) , Cannot Estimate

Body Parts Inventory:
    Head not recovered
    Torso not recovered
    One or more limbs not recovered
    One or both hands not recovered

Notes on body parts recovered: Skeletal remains found - zygoma, maxilla and teeth
    Body condition: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Circumstances:
    Location Found: On beach between San Gregorio and Pomponio Beach
    San Gregorio, California
    County: San Mateo

Circumstances of death: A portion of a childs' skull (zygoma, maxilla and teeth) were found on a stretch of beach between San Gregorio and Pomponio beach by a citizen.

Physical
    Hair color: Unknown or Completely Bald
    Head hair: Unknown
    Body hair: Unknown
    Facial hair: Unknown
    Eye color: Unknown or Missing

No other distinctive body features
    Skeletal remains - no fingerprints available

No clothing or accessories
    Clothing on body: None
    Clothing with body: None
    Footwear: None
    Jewelry: None
    Eyewear: None
    Other items found with body: None

Dental information / charting below (see link)
    X-rays available
    Photographs available

One or more teeth present
    Baby/primary teeth present
    Upper jaw present

DNA
    Complete and entered
    Type: nucDNA
    Location CA DOJ (Jan Bashinski Laboratory)
    Reference # BK-06-000481-0001
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 11-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.

I'm wondering if this could be Alexis Hernandez, last seen in 2002. His mothers body was found by the San Francisco bay bridge.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ndez_alex.html

There's a fair amount of possibilities, but I did notice Alexis Hernandez as well is a good possibility. That's the closest one that I could find within the age range and in proximity to where the skull was discovered.

Postmortem interval is listed as years, however. That really opens up the list of possibilities in terms of time and geographic location.

Just an FYI:

There is a question whether or not the DNA status in the NamUs case file on this case is accurate. NamUS states DNA is on file, however the coroners office indicates that is inaccurate and NO dna was obtained.

We are trying to determine the current status of DNA for this set of remains and will update when that information becomes available.

Anna Waters has been submitted as a possible match for this case. The location these remains were found is very near where Anna disappeared.

Annasmom is aware this potential match has been submitted and we are awaiting information on the DNA status as posted above.

Hopefully it won't be long before we can determine whether DNA is available or not.

The discussion for "unidentified" possible matches for Anna can be found here:

CA CA - Possible matches for: Anna Christian Waters, 5, Half Moon Bay, 1973 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 05-02-2015 at 09:27 AM. Reason: repair url tag.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

I'll add these four kids to the mix as possible matches to NamUs UP 9597:

They were all missing (Non parental abduction) from the San Francisco Bay area:

Alex Hernandez (already mentioned above by Wanting2Help)
    Alexandra Flores
    Cynthia Sumpter
    Ernesto Jimenez

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ndez_alex.html
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...alexandra.html
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...r_cynthia.html
    http://www.nampn.org/cases/jimenez_ernesto.html
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-10-2012 at 02:07 PM.

A snippet from a post of Dr. Doogie's in the possible match thread for Anna Waters to NamUs 9597. I thought I would add this info here as well.

2) One clarification: The coroner has not yet sent the sample to a private lab. She is working on getting the sample from the CA DOJ and authorization to send the jaw bone "outside" of the system. This should occur in a week or two. Once the sample is sent to a private lab, then the clock will start "ticking".
    Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Have we found Anna? Possible match to NamUs case #9597

This pretty much confirms the DNA info in the NamUs case file is in fact inaccurate.

Carl, I noticed Alexandra is not listed in NamUs. You might want to call and advise the coroner of this possible match.

Also, with Alexandra. She was a month shy of turning 5 when she disappeared which is close to the age range of 5-7 listed at NamUs.

hth

ETA: I just looked and Alexandra Flores is not listed in NCMEC either. I doubt the coroner would know about Charley Project, so you might want to call this one in Carl. Also, from Alexandra's photo. Hard to tell if the pinkish red area is missing teeth which might match the dentals listed at NamUs, or if that is a red stain from a drink, or just a poor quality photo. Whatever the case, I recommend advising the coroner of this one. Especially if dentals can be obtained on Alexandra for a quick rule in or rule out.
    Last edited by KateB; 05-02-2015 at 09:26 AM. Reason: repair url tag.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

I didn't mention Anna in my post because she was already mentioned by someone else.

As of 12/13/2011 there are 4 rule outs listed...

James Bordenkircher 1963 California
    Todd Collett 1960 California
    Sir-Kristopher Marshall 1973 California
    Fannie Stuart 1976 California

Many know that we submitted Anna Waters as a possible match for this UID back in early January.

Most recently Dr. Doogie updated indicating the dna is still in the waiting process.

Now, what brings me back to this thread. Doogie informed us the CA-DOJ sent the remains to a private lab. When Doogie recently followed up with the San Mateo County case manager, he was informed the DOJ is still waiting for results.

Carl, do you happen to know what the standard chain of command is with the CA-DOJ when remains are sent to a private lab? Is it usual the CA-DOJ is the main contact for ME's in CA when remains are sent to a private lab? If you don't know can you inquire the next time you have to call a CA ME regarding a case?

It just makes no sense to me that the county ME office would not be in direct contact with the private lab. Other than perhaps that is how it is done in CA, all contact through the DOJ versus a private lab having hundreds of possible contacts throughout all CA counties.

Also, is it usual for them to say no known time for results when the average time is 2-3 mo's? I'm not accustomed to having no estimated time frame, when usually we are given some kind of time frame, or are given some kind of information on what might be causing delays on the usual 2-3 mo average time frame.

TIA!
    ~JMO~

I don't know the answer to your question, but I will ask if I have another contact on a CA case.

I just noticed that two new San Mateo County UID cases were added last month to NamUs:

One from Jan 1975, the torso and upper legs of a 7 to 8 year old Male, found 250 yards south of the Point Montara Light House.

https://identifyus.org/cases/10639

The second from Dec 1977, the torso and upper legs of a 10 to 20 year old male (possibly white) found in the same place - the Point Montara Light House.

https://identifyus.org/cases/10640

I wonder if this skull fragment found in Mar 2006 that is currently being compared to Anna is related to one of these two headless torsos found less than 20 miles away.

https://identifyus.org/cases/9597

Here's another male partial torso and legs found in Feb'74 on Linda Mar State Beach in Pacifica.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10587

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast