CA CA - San Mateo Co., Child Skull UP9597, 5-7, on beach near San Gregorio, Mar'06

Wanting2Help

Reaction score
https://identifyus.org/cases/9597

This was just recently listed in NamUs

Case Report - NamUs UP # 9597

Case number 06-0797
Date found March 26, 2006 at 12:00 AM
Date created December 11, 2011 at 06:14 PM
Date last modified December 13, 2011 at 03:26 AM

Local Medical Examiner/Coroner Contact
Agency San Mateo Cnty Coroners Ofc
Phone 650-312-5562
Email rfoucrault@co.sanmateo.ca.us

Case Manager
Name Kristine Gamble
Email kgamble@smcgov.org

Estimated age: PreAdolescent
Minimum age 5 years
Maximum age 7 years
Race: Unsure
Sex: Unsure
Weight (pounds) , Cannot Estimate
Height (inches) , Cannot Estimate

Body Parts Inventory:
Head not recovered
Torso not recovered
One or more limbs not recovered
One or both hands not recovered

Notes on body parts recovered: Skeletal remains found - zygoma, maxilla and teeth
Body condition: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Circumstances:
Location Found: On beach between San Gregorio and Pomponio Beach
San Gregorio, California
County: San Mateo

Circumstances of death: A portion of a childs' skull (zygoma, maxilla and teeth) were found on a stretch of beach between San Gregorio and Pomponio beach by a citizen.

Physical
Hair color: Unknown or Completely Bald
Head hair: Unknown
Body hair: Unknown
Facial hair: Unknown
Eye color: Unknown or Missing

No other distinctive body features
Skeletal remains - no fingerprints available

No clothing or accessories
Clothing on body: None
Clothing with body: None
Footwear: None
Jewelry: None
Eyewear: None
Other items found with body: None

Dental information / charting below (see link)
X-rays available
Photographs available

One or more teeth present
Baby/primary teeth present
Upper jaw present

DNA
Complete and entered
Type: nucDNA
Location CA DOJ (Jan Bashinski Laboratory)
Reference # BK-06-000481-0001

There's a fair amount of possibilities, but I did notice Alexis Hernandez as well is a good possibility. That's the closest one that I could find within the age range and in proximity to where the skull was discovered.

Postmortem interval is listed as years, however. That really opens up the list of possibilities in terms of time and geographic location.

Just an FYI:

There is a question whether or not the DNA status in the NamUs case file on this case is accurate. NamUS states DNA is on file, however the coroners office indicates that is inaccurate and NO dna was obtained.

We are trying to determine the current status of DNA for this set of remains and will update when that information becomes available.

Anna Waters has been submitted as a possible match for this case. The location these remains were found is very near where Anna disappeared.

Annasmom is aware this potential match has been submitted and we are awaiting information on the DNA status as posted above.

Hopefully it won't be long before we can determine whether DNA is available or not.

The discussion for "unidentified" possible matches for Anna can be found here:

CA CA - Possible matches for: Anna Christian Waters, 5, Half Moon Bay, 1973 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I'll add these four kids to the mix as possible matches to NamUs UP 9597:

They were all missing (Non parental abduction) from the San Francisco Bay area:

hernandez_alex2.jpg
flores_alexandra.jpg
sumpter_cynthia.jpg
2599491410045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Alex Hernandez (already mentioned above by Wanting2Help)
Alexandra Flores
Cynthia Sumpter
Ernesto Jimenez

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hernandez_alex.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/flores_alexandra.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sumpter_cynthia.html

<modsnip: Removed defunct link>

Last edited by a moderator:
A snippet from a post of Dr. Doogie's in the possible match thread for Anna Waters to NamUs 9597. I thought I would add this info here as well.

2) One clarification: The coroner has not yet sent the sample to a private lab. She is working on getting the sample from the CA DOJ and authorization to send the jaw bone "outside" of the system. This should occur in a week or two. Once the sample is sent to a private lab, then the clock will start "ticking".

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Have we found Anna? Possible match to NamUs case #9597

This pretty much confirms the DNA info in the NamUs case file is in fact inaccurate.

Carl, I noticed Alexandra is not listed in NamUs. You might want to call and advise the coroner of this possible match.

Also, with Alexandra. She was a month shy of turning 5 when she disappeared which is close to the age range of 5-7 listed at NamUs.

hth

ETA: I just looked and Alexandra Flores is not listed in NCMEC either. I doubt the coroner would know about Charley Project, so you might want to call this one in Carl. Also, from Alexandra's photo. Hard to tell if the pinkish red area is missing teeth which might match the dentals listed at NamUs, or if that is a red stain from a drink, or just a poor quality photo. Whatever the case, I recommend advising the coroner of this one. Especially if dentals can be obtained on Alexandra for a quick rule in or rule out.

I didn't mention Anna in my post because she was already mentioned by someone else.

As of 12/13/2011 there are 4 rule outs listed...

James Bordenkircher 1963 California
Todd Collett 1960 California
Sir-Kristopher Marshall 1973 California
Fannie Stuart 1976 California

Many know that we submitted Anna Waters as a possible match for this UID back in early January.

Most recently Dr. Doogie updated indicating the dna is still in the waiting process.

Now, what brings me back to this thread. Doogie informed us the CA-DOJ sent the remains to a private lab. When Doogie recently followed up with the San Mateo County case manager, he was informed the DOJ is still waiting for results.

Carl, do you happen to know what the standard chain of command is with the CA-DOJ when remains are sent to a private lab? Is it usual the CA-DOJ is the main contact for ME's in CA when remains are sent to a private lab? If you don't know can you inquire the next time you have to call a CA ME regarding a case?

It just makes no sense to me that the county ME office would not be in direct contact with the private lab. Other than perhaps that is how it is done in CA, all contact through the DOJ versus a private lab having hundreds of possible contacts throughout all CA counties.

Also, is it usual for them to say no known time for results when the average time is 2-3 mo's? I'm not accustomed to having no estimated time frame, when usually we are given some kind of time frame, or are given some kind of information on what might be causing delays on the usual 2-3 mo average time frame.

TIA!

I don't know the answer to your question, but I will ask if I have another contact on a CA case.

I just noticed that two new San Mateo County UID cases were added last month to NamUs:

One from Jan 1975, the torso and upper legs of a 7 to 8 year old Male, found 250 yards south of the Point Montara Light House.

https://identifyus.org/cases/10639

The second from Dec 1977, the torso and upper legs of a 10 to 20 year old male (possibly white) found in the same place - the Point Montara Light House.

https://identifyus.org/cases/10640

I wonder if this skull fragment found in Mar 2006 that is currently being compared to Anna is related to one of these two headless torsos found less than 20 miles away.

https://identifyus.org/cases/9597

:bump:

Bumping as Carl has found some new info/possibilities for this UID.

Carl, can you please bring the new info here to this thread?

tia!

:bump:

Bumping as Carl has found some new info/possibilities for this UID.

Carl, can you please bring the new info here to this thread?

tia!

Done. See posts above (copied from AC Waters thread in the MP forum).

thank you Carl. I think the only possible that may belong to this case is the first one you mentioned, the 5-7 yr old male remains (torso and partial legs). However, if you look at that case file it reads No DNA, dna not collected. Well, dna was not collectable in 1975 when these remains were found..... What that case does not read is DNA submitted profile not comparable or insufficient. I forget exactly how it is worded at namus....

Kind of hard to determine just what San Mateo is doing other than entering into NamUs. It's hard to determine if and when they might be trying to get some dna profiles on some of these UID's.

I do want to keep an eye on 10639. Clearly if these belong to the same person as NamUs 9597 then they are not Anna...

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention!

thank you Carl. I think the only possible that may belong to this case is the first one you mentioned, the 5-7 yr old male remains (torso and partial legs).

I do want to keep an eye on 10639. Clearly if these belong to the same person as NamUs 9597 then they are not Anna...

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention!

I agree that the other two cases are probably unrelated to the skull fragment. I just found it strange that three torsos (with legs, but no heads or arms) of young males were found in the same area.

I agree that the other two cases are probably unrelated to the skull fragment. I just found it strange that three torsos (with legs, but no heads or arms) of young males were found in the same area.

As for the find in the immediate area. We know of a shipwreck that is buried under the sand in this general vicinity. I'd have to search for it again, but every so often remains are found and from this 'beach cemetary' for lack of a better description. I've found it researching skeletal remains for that particular area...

With all due respect to the San Mateo coroners office, which I don't know much about, from the outside it appears they are in the process of entering their uid's into NamUs.... at what stages they are doing more than data entry into NamUs, IDK.

We can consider ship wrecks as there is fishing off the coast in this area. We can also consider those not reported missing, and perhaps even partial remains that remain unidentified for victims which do not appear as being missing because partial remains were already located and id'd ( think of those identified from 911, lots of partial remains exist for those already id'd. Though in the San Mateo area we clearly wouldn't have such tiny fragments....)

I very much appreciate your sharing this info with us working Anna's case, Carl, because one of the things Dr. Doogie and I have researched and continue to do so as time permits is the possibility of excluding Anna (unofficially) based on examples such as that of the torso for the young 7-8 yr old male you recently found.

Thanks again!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RealAce