POI: Carman Monaco, Jr.

inspctrgadget

Inactive
Reaction score
This thread is for discussing Carman Monaco, Jr. as a possible suspect in the Long Island serial murders.

Please note that this thread is not meant to discuss Oak Beach residents or Shannan Gilbert. The assumption is that Shannan died of accidental causes and is unrelated to the serial murders.

Carman Monaco, Jr. is the only suspect that I'm aware of that has ever been questioned (in 2005) by police in the Manorville murders, and now that police have linked the Manorville murders with the rest of the victims found on Ocean Parkway, it is necessary to ask whether or not Carman Monaco, Jr. is currently the target of an investigation or whether he has somehow been overlooked in the more recent investigation of the LI serial killer.

I will begin posting the publicly available information that I'm aware of.

The following 2005 news article cites police refusing to rule Carman Monaco Jr. out as a suspect in the Manorville murders:
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2005-04-03/local/18294991_1_monaco-tree-lighting-jail

The following 2011 news article cites police now linking Manorville with the rest of the victims found along Ocean Parkway:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/30/long-island-serial-killer-new-york

Below is my December 12th e-mail to Matt Lysiac and Rich Schapiro of the NY Daily News. They have reported recently on the LISK. I copied Rich Weir, but that bounced back. I'm not sure if these guys are investigative journalists or just writers that compile stories.

Matt, Rich,

I submitted this as a tip to Suffolk County police last week but wanted to follow up with you given your recent reporting.

I have copied Richard Weir of the NY Daily News on this e-mail.

On Sunday, April 03, 2005, Richard wrote a story regarding Carman Monaco, Jr. In this story, he indicated that Carman:

1) Identified himself using the alias "Sal from Manorville"
2) Threatened to dismember his victims
3) Threatened to dump his victims with the rest of the "*advertiser censored*" from Manorville
4) Was questioned by Suffolk County police in relation to the Manorville murders

Here is a link to Rich Weir's story:
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2005-04-03/local/18294991_1_monaco-tree-lighting-jail

Based on my understanding of the Long Island Serial Killer, Carman Monaco Jr. is really good fit for the following reasons:

1) Carman called his victims from payphones in the City whereas the serial killer called from throwaway phones in the city.
2) The serial killer called Melissa Barthelemy's sister obsessively about 15-20 times over many months whereas Carman called his victims about 300 times over many years.
3) The serial killer referred to Melissa as a "*advertiser censored*" whereas Carman referred to the "*advertiser censored*" in Manorville.

The M.O. is nearly identical.

I found in court records that Carman Monaco Jr. works for a company called Hub Trucks. Hub Trucks has a Calverton location that is immediately adjacent to Neptune Horse and Saddlery. Neptune sells horse feed packaged in large burlap sacks.

Questions for the NY Daily News:

1) Richard Weir from the NY Daily News indicated in his article that police have not ruled out Carman Monaco Jr. as a suspect in the Manorville slayings. Now that the police believe that one serial killer is responsible for all 10 bodies, including the Manorville victims, is Caman Monaco Jr. a serial killer suspect?
2) Have police re-interviewed Carman Monaco Jr. recently?
3) Have police conducted a voice lineup of the recordings from Carman's investigation with Melissa Barthelemy's sister?
4) Have police conducted a voice lineup of the recordings from the calls to Melissa's sister with Carman's original victims (Danielle Campbell from News 12 Long Island, etc.)

Any response to this e-mail is appreciated.

- Inspctrgadget

The Supreme Court case shows a 2009 foreclosure. I believe that this property is 14 Pine Gate Ave. in East Patchogue, NY, but I'm not positive.

The Local case shows a case in the Bronx where Carman is listed as a co-defendant. I assume (possibly incorrectly) that Carman works for Hub Trucks since their lawyer represented him in this case. I assume that this was some type of traffic accident where Carman was the driver since that appears in other instances of Hub Trucks cases.

WebCivil Supreme
Go to: http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/FCASMain
Search for (defendant) Carman Monaco Jr.

WebCivil Local
Go to: http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivilLocal/LCMain
Search for (defendant) Carman Monaco Jr.

This is an intriguing theory inspectrgadget. Kudos for being proactive and sending in a tip. It is surely worth looking into, IMO.

wm

Thanks to Seaslug44 for looking into Neptune Feed and Saddlery. Neptune shares a location with Hub Trucks in Calverton. Here's Seaslug's post from a prior thread:

Okay here's the deal...

They sell horse grain and grain for other animals in horse grain sacks (also known as "feed bags" or "feed sacks"). Some of the bags are paper (like the Purina Horse Chow) but some of them are indeed burlap. I just could not confirm whether it is actual burlap or if it is that new plastic burlap material that is on the market (then again, we don't have much info from the police about what kind of burlap was used to wrap the GB4). Also since that company has been around for decades, it is more than likely that they could be waist-deep in giant empty burlap bags like this one;
burlap%20bag.jpg

This was posted in a previous thread. I'm moving it here for reference:

I have found Long island adresses on Carman Monaco Jr. in:

EAST PATCHOGUE, NY
MEDFORD, NY

Carman Monaco Jr was born Jun 1957

His mother, who died in June 2011, lived in West Islip.
her address is ca 14 miles from Gilgo beach.
And ca. 8 miles from Oak Beach.

His father , who died in 1980, is burried at :
Calverton National Cemetery
Calverton
Suffolk County, NY

This is ca 4 miles from Manorville, NY

I have found no relatives in the Oak/Gilgo Beach area.

They ID'd Jessica as working as a prostitute in February of 2004 ( link ).

Thanks for finding this shadowraiths. It strikes me as odd that 10 months after Jessica Taylor was identified as a prostitute and Manorville was in the news, that Carman is still talking about "*advertiser censored*" in Manorville:

From the NY Daily News article:
"On Dec. 4, 2004, he called Campbell, Hashagen and McDade to warn Campbell that if she went to the EAB ceremony, he would be there.

"I will be in the crowd," he said. "I will dump her in Manorville with all the rest of the *advertiser censored*."

Does anyone know if Manorville a regular topic in the news between Feb and Dec 2004?

Thanks for finding this shadowraiths. It strikes me as odd that 10 months after Jessica Taylor was identified as a prostitute and Manorville was in the news, that Carman is still talking about "*advertiser censored*" in Manorville:

From the NY Daily News article:
"On Dec. 4, 2004, he called Campbell, Hashagen and McDade to warn Campbell that if she went to the EAB ceremony, he would be there.

"I will be in the crowd," he said. "I will dump her in Manorville with all the rest of the *advertiser censored*."

Does anyone know if Manorville a regular topic in the news between Feb and Dec 2004?

does Carman have a gf or wife by any chance?

Here's more people that could participate in the voice lineup of Carman's threatening calls to News 12 Long Island:

1) Johnny Terry (Melissa Barthelemy's boyfriend)
2) Megan Waterman's mother (received calls from someone pretending to be a police officer).

Can anyone find the original MSM articles on these two reports?

The only thing missing is that there is no proof that Carman killed anyone, ever.

Huge missing link. IMO.

Thanks walzingmatilda. From the article:

"Around the same time, Terry said he began to get his own taunting phone calls. His calls were from a "white guy," he said.

"He was threatening me," recalled Terry. "He said, you like to do some crazy stuff with Melissa, I know where you be at. Most of the time he seemed to be drunk. He knew who I was. He knew I had tattoos on my back. Maybe he felt [Melissa] was doing something he didn't like."

Terry said the anonymous caller called him more than 30 times over a period of eight months."

For me, this seems to me to be the same exact pattern of obsessive, threatening phone calls.

The serial killer also said he knew where Terry was. This is similar to Carman Monaco Jr.'s statements that he knew Danielle Campbell would be "at the EAB Christmas lighting ceremony" and at her charity "softball games".

Found the Ela Waterman calls:

http://blog.scarboroughleader.com/2011/04/21/families-bonding--after-tragedy.aspx
"An anonymous caller has left her several voicemails at work stating that he is a police officer from Long Island who wants to speak with her.

Ela said the caller had an unusual tone and that police in Long Island have her proper contact information and would not call her at work.

She said she was not able to identify the number because the person is calling from a private line. She said she contacted Long Island police about the issue, who told her to note the time and let her know when the caller dialed again.

“It’s someone trying to scare me to keep my mouth shut, but I’m Megan’s voice, and I’m going to keep it out there whether they like it or not,” Ela said."

This fits since the caller was:
- threatening
- unusual tone (possibly drunk, like in Terry's calls or just plain creepy)
- fake name (like "Sal from Woodbury" or "Sal from Manorville") - note that Woodbury is where News 12 headquarters is.
- Coercion - Carman was charged with felony coercion. In this case, it seems like Ela Waterman was being coerced to "keep her mouth shut".

I think Ela Waterman would be a good candidate for a voice lineup with Carman Monaco Jr. based on this.

Found the Ela Waterman calls:

http://blog.scarboroughleader.com/2011/04/21/families-bonding--after-tragedy.aspx
"An anonymous caller has left her several voicemails at work stating that he is a police officer from Long Island who wants to speak with her.

Ela said the caller had an unusual tone and that police in Long Island have her proper contact information and would not call her at work.

She said she was not able to identify the number because the person is calling from a private line. She said she contacted Long Island police about the issue, who told her to note the time and let her know when the caller dialed again.

“It’s someone trying to scare me to keep my mouth shut, but I’m Megan’s voice, and I’m going to keep it out there whether they like it or not,” Ela said."

This fits since the caller was:
- threatening
- unusual tone (possibly drunk, like in Terry's calls or just plain creepy)
- fake name (like "Sal from Woodbury" or "Sal from Manorville") - note that Woodbury is where News 12 headquarters is.
- Coercion - Carman was charged with felony coercion. In this case, it seems like Ela Waterman was being coerced to "keep her mouth shut".

I think Ela Waterman would be a good candidate for a voice lineup with Carman Monaco Jr. based on this.

I agree. We know how the SK likes 'playing' on the phone!

I agree. We know how the SK likes 'playing' on the phone!

From: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/09/nyregion/09bodies.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
"The locations, detectives say, were probably chosen because they allowed the caller to blend into crowds, so that if investigators pinpointed his location from the cellphone’s signal, they would be unable to pick him out of the crowd using any nearby surveillance cameras, one of the people said.

This fact, as well as the killer’s use of disposable cellphones to contact the four victims who have been identified — women in their 20s who advertised their services on Craigslist — suggested to some investigators that the killer was well versed in criminal investigative techniques, gleaned either through personal experience or in some other way, and could even be in law enforcement himself."

As it relates to Carman Monaco Jr., its entirely likely that Carman was "well versed" in these techniques as a result of his own investigation. He would have had access to all of the Nassau County police department records accumulated over many years related to tracking his whereabouts using phone records. These records would undoubtedly be collected during the discovery phase of his trial. In fact, he might even have had access to a police manual on this subject, much like a lawyer (and defendant) would have access to the manual on a speed detector or breathalyzer to point out weaknesses in police testimony. What Nassau County provided in discovery documents to Carman Monaco Jr. could be important here.

The only thing missing is that there is no proof that Carman killed anyone, ever.

Huge missing link. IMO.

Not necessarily a missing link Eliza ... serial killers are never caught until they're caught (i.e. Ridgway, Pickton, BTK, Bundy .. none of whom had a history of murder. Most perps who have ever previously been convicted of murder are in jail)

A few questions, since I know nothing about Monaco:

1). What does he do for a living?
2). Where is he from?
3). Does he have any ties to NJ?
4). Which of the Manorville victims is he connect to?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pandamom76
Back