Identified! VA - Richmond, WhtMale UP9764, knee replacement, Dec'11 - Wardell Grant

Wanting2Help

Reaction score
RICHMOND, Va. --
Richmond police are investigating the discovery Wednesday of human skeletal remains in woods off Fifth Avenue and Cypress Street in the Highland Park neighborhood.

Police spokeswoman Dionne Waugh said a passer-by found the remains and police were notified at 2:41 p.m. Wednesday. Police investigators are searching the densely wooded area and the remains will be sent to the state medical examiner's office for identification.

Waugh said it is too early to determine the race or gender of the remains, or whether the death appears to involve foul play.

Anyone with information can call Crime Stoppers anonymously at (804) 780-1000

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/dec/14/remains-found-north-richmond-ar-1544459/

Human remains found in the woods
Updated: Dec 15, 2011 6:31 AM
By Sean Van Damme

Richmond police continue to investigate human remains found in the deep woods in Highland Park.

The remains were found by three people searching for scrap metal near the intersection of 5th and Cypress Streets. Police searched the woods for hours looking for any clues.

"What they immediately did was secure the area so we know where the remains are. They also searched the area to see what other items of interest were down or what could be part of the investigation," said Dionne Waugh of the Richmond Police Department.

Now the medical examiner will try to determine the race, gender and identity of the person. Police say it is too early to say if foul play was involved.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/16327193/human-remains-found-in-the-woods

Robert Hourihan lived a little less than 2 hours from Richmond

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-bones-in-5th-avenue-20111214,0,6185578.story

RICHMOND, VA (WTVR) - Richmond Police detectives are searching a ravine in the city's Northside after human remains were found in the woods.

Neighbors in the 2200 block of 5th Avenue said two people searching for scrap metal came across the skeletal remains around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday.

As a result, several detectives, the forensics team and medical examiner are now on the scene.

Additionally, a plane is taking aerial photograps.

video @ link

NamUs link...

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9764

Date found December 14, 2011 00:00
Date created January 07, 2012 06:22
Date last modified January 08, 2012 05:07
Date QA reviewed January 08, 2012 03:08

Local Medical Examiner/Coroner Contact
Name Kevin Whaley
Agency Central District ME Office
Phone 804-786-3174
Email kevin.whaley@vdh.virginia.gov

Case Manager
Name Lara Frame
Email lara.frame@vdh.virginia.gov

Demographics
Estimated age Adult
Minimum age 45 years
Maximum age 60 years
Race White
Sex Male
Weight (pounds) , Cannot Estimate
Height (inches) 68, Estimated

Body Parts Inventory:
All parts recovered

Notes on body parts recovered:
All parts recovered except the hyoid bone, the left patella and assorted fingers and toes.

Body conditions:
Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Circumstances
Location Found:

Address 1 Intersection of 5th and Cypress Avenues
City Richmond
State Virginia
County: Richmond City

Circumstances of death:
Passerby searching for scap metal found remains. Appears to be a full skeleton, most bones in anatomical position. Area where remains were found is known to be a flood/sewer area. Metal rods/pins on lower left bone, right knee restorations, obvious dental restorations.

Physical
Hair color: Unknown or Completely Bald
Eye color: Unknown or Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Distinctive features as described below:
Artificial body parts and aids:
Right knee replacement
Metal rod and screws in lower left leg

Medical
Skeletal findings Healed fracture on anterior, medial and lateral surfaces of proximal left tibia (upper part of the lower leg).

Fingerprints:
Fingerprint information is currently not available
Comments: Skeletonized remains

Clothing and Accessories
Clothing on body: Black sweatpants labeled "Bronx Express" size 2XL, hooded shirt with label "Freak Threadz" unknown size, plaid boxer shorts "Power Club" size 2XL, two socks remnants.
Other items found with body: Plastic wrapper, folding pocketknife, black BIC lighter, money strip fragments.

Dental
Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later (Explain below)
X-Rays available

One or more teeth present
Upper jaw present
Lower jaw present

Comments: Dental codes to be entered later.

DNA
Sample is currently not available
Comments: skeletonized remains (dry)

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9764

We have pics on NamUS now. What is this patch?

ETA: from NamUS "
Black sweatpants labeled "Bronx Express" size 2XL, hooded shirt with label "Freak Threadz" unknown size, plaid boxer shorts "Power Club" size 2XL, two socks remnants. "

I think there is a very important mistake in this information. It is not "Freak" Threadz, it's "Fresh Threadz." More info can be found here: http://www.trademarkia.com/fresh-threadz-74298637.html The logo matches perfectly. It looks like they were based in California.

It also may narrow down a time frame somewhat since the first use of the trademark anywhere was 3/6/1991. (They canceled the trademark use due to SECTION 8 on 10/11/1999.)

Did anyone email NamUs to let them know of the error?

It also may narrow down a time frame somewhat since the first use of the trademark anywhere was 3/6/1991. (They canceled the trademark use due to SECTION 8 on 10/11/1999.)

Did anyone email NamUs to let them know of the error?

Great clue! WOW! :highfive:

I didn't write them, all I did was change the name on the title here. :blushing:

What about Kevin Lucas?
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/12949/0?current_page=physical_characteristics

He has a metal rod in lower left leg like UID does. I think his weight would be consistant with the size clothes that were found also. I'm not sure about the time frame though. Not sure how long the remains would have to be out there to be considered "dry"?? Kevins' profile does not say anything about a knee replacement or dental work either. The age is off as well. I just thought due to size/weight and metal rod in left leg it might be worth looking at...

I sent an email to the contacts listed on the profile to alert them to the "Freak Threadz" error.

I sent an email to the contacts listed on the profile to alert them to the "Freak Threadz" error.

I provided them with the trademark link and the date information regarding the use of the trademark.

I received a reply email and they will be updating the profile. They thanked me for the info and for the link to the trademark website (thanks CherBearSTL for pointing out the error and providing the link!)

when I saw the description of the clothing the last demographic I was expecting to see was a white man between the ages of 45 and 60. hoodie? Bronx Express? Fresh Threadz?

in any event, the fractured left tibia with rod and right knee replacement sounds like a motorcycle accident at some point in his life to me. just my very lay opinion.

I havent posted in such a long time, I forgot how! It is my understanding that knee replacements have serial numbers on them so they can be traced (like your cars vin number). Braces on teeth also have serial numbers. Even a partial number can get them going in the right direction. JMHO

http://wtvr.com/2013/09/11/son-ids-father-missing-for-2-years-after-cbs-6-report/

Posted on: 7:21 pm, September 11, 2013,
by Alix Bryan and Sandra Jones,
updated on: 07:29pm, September 11, 2013

RICHMOND, Va. (WTVR)–It had been two-years since Wardell Grant Jr. saw his father, when he saw a replica of his dad on television, created by investigators to help solve cold cases.

<snipped>
Richmond Police say it could take several weeks or even months for a DNA match. But police say they are 95-percent sure, the human remains are that of Wardell Grant, Sr.

So LE said white male, even though the reconstruction looked like a black male. And LE said 45-60 when Wardell Grant, Sr. was 73 at his LKA. Not knocking LE, but this is another reminder to always keep an open mind with regard to LE's estimated demographics.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back