676 users online (130 members and 546 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boy disciplined after waving gun-shaped pizza slice

SMYRNA, Tenn. - For the rest of the semester, a Rutherford County elementary student has to eat lunch at the "silent table" for allegedly waving around a slice of pizza some say resembled a gun.

School leaders say the 10-year-old threatened other students at his lunch table with a piece of pizza with bites out of it so it looked like a gun and when asked about it was initially not truthful.

Nicholas' mother LeAnn calls her son's punishment "absolutely ridiculous" saying he was just playing around and never said anything derogatory or anything about shooting anyone.

"The kid across the table from him said it looked like a gun so he picked it up and started shooting it in the air," she told Nashville's News 2 Investigates.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/16325409/g...ice?hpt=ju_bn4

File under

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    SMYRNA, Tenn. - For the rest of the semester, a Rutherford County elementary student has to eat lunch at the "silent table" for allegedly waving around a slice of pizza some say resembled a gun.

School leaders say the 10-year-old threatened other students at his lunch table with a piece of pizza with bites out of it so it looked like a gun and when asked about it was initially not truthful.

Nicholas' mother LeAnn calls her son's punishment "absolutely ridiculous" saying he was just playing around and never said anything derogatory or anything about shooting anyone.

"The kid across the table from him said it looked like a gun so he picked it up and started shooting it in the air," she told Nashville's News 2 Investigates.

File under
    Oh my dear Lord. We are getting crazy with this PC stuff. He is a child with a slice of pizza for pete's sake.

I agree that it's a silly punishment...however, I'm kind of appalled that this mom seems to feel that the "silly punishment" outweighs the fact that her son was "initially not truthful" about the incident. And I say that only based on her reaction -- could she have talked to her son about lying? Maybe. But I doubt it. She was more concerned with how her baby was mistreated. And I don't buy, for a minute, that he didn't wave it around, making shooting noises and saying he was going to shoot so-and-so. He's a kid. They do that. My problem is that mom is more concerned about the fact that he had to sit at the silent table, than the fact that her son lies.

I'm on the fence with this one. I agree with the previous post that the mom should have taken the opportunity to discuss not initially being honest.

On the other hand, there is behavior which is clearly appropriate at home, or playing in ones own neighborhood which is not appropriate at school. I think that is something our children need to learn and may not be learning, so it appears some of this discipline from the schools is 'overboard'.

jmo
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

The only way you can threaten anyone with a slice of pizza is if it has anchovies on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post

File under
    From the link:

Taylor said the school system has made it clear that if her son eats his pizza into the shape of a gun again and there is a similar occurrence, he will be suspended.
    Seriously?!! This is totally ridiculous!!!

This is just ridiculous. I understand why schools take guns and shootings seriously but I think common sense needs to apply to these zero tolerance policies. They are making "criminals" (for lack of a better word) out of normal boy like behavior. My son is obsessed with army guys and war things and will turn anything into a gun. Pencils, books, toys all become guns in my 5 year olds imagination. I've been trying to stress as much as I can that gun play is not allowed in school and so far to my knowledge he's been good about it but with how boys are I fear that something like this may happen to my son at some point. I sure hope not.

Wow, I hope he never finds the face of Jesus or Mary on his pizza slice! Kid would be expelled forever for sure

and people wonder why I refuse to alow the idiots at the public school to "educate" my kid.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Last edited by KateB; 06-13-2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    Wow, I hope he never finds the face of Jesus or Mary on his pizza slice! Kid would be expelled forever for sure

and people wonder why I refuse to alow the idiots at the public school to "educate" my kid.
    I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that any of our WS friends or family who might be public school educators are idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post

Man oh man. Little kids will shape anything into a gun. Kids like to play act. My mom wouldn't buy us guns, so we used sticks, until we got our own money and then bought pellet guns and BB guns, with which we had incredible wars in the empty field by our house.

What are they going to do, expel him if he forms a gun with his hands? Almost every kid does that.

This is stupid.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post

What are they going to do, expel him if he forms a gun with his hands? Almost every kid does that.

That exact story was on webslueths before, no joke.

Okay, maybe I was a little wrong.. he was suspended, not expelled but still..
    6 Yr Old Suspended From School For Making Gun With Hand - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 06-13-2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
    From the link:

Seriously?!! This is totally ridiculous!!!
    There is no common sense left in our school systems!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast