OR OR - Portland, Willamette River, WhtFem 30-40, UP9599, Road Runner ring, clothes, c-section, Sep'93

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pearly asked me to start this thread:

NamUs UP # 9599 https://identifyus.org/cases/9599

Unidentified White Female

Found September 07, 1993 at East Bank of the Willamette River, Swan Island, Portland (Multnomah County) OR.

Body condition: Recognizable face (All parts recovered)
Probable year of death: 1993
Estimated postmortem interval: 2 Days

Weight: 140 lbs, Measured
Height: 5'4" (64 inches) Measured
Head hair: Brown, 12 inches in length
Body Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Clothing on body: Aqua blue unlabeled sweatshirt, J.C. Penney brand bra, tan with flowers embroidered on cups, Maroon Cherokee brand jeans, size 12, Black shoe with black laces, "Pro Wings" brand., Seiko watch around left wrist. Road Runner symbol in black on a silver-like ellipse attached to a silver-like bands (ring) around the left ring finger., Brown elastic band with gold-colored glitter around right wrist.

Scars and Marks: Cesarean section scar on lower abdomen, C-shaped scar on back of left hand
Skeletal findings: Multiple healed right rib fractures

Fingerprints: Available
Dental: Available
DNA: Not Available
Comments: Body was cremated in 1996

Circumstances of death
On September 07, 1993, the body of a unidentified white female was found by workers at a nearby aluminum transfer station; the workers spotted the body lying face down on the rocky bank of the Willamette River near Swan Island. Some clothing was associated with the remains. Several newspaper articles were written about the body and the request for information from anyone who may know her. No information was ever developed.

Comments
File states that fingerprints were "run through several different systems and had come up with no results". Fingerprints were therefore taken and need to be obtained and inputted here.

How about...

Susan Hoppes Bennett: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7548/0/

Disappeared under unknown circumstances from Tacoma, WA on August 9, 1993. Her MP report gives a height of 60 to 70 inches, and a weight of 100 to 120 pounds (on the low side of weight perhaps?) There is not much more information on her report other than brown hair and brown eyes like the UID. Oddly enough, she only has dental information to go on like the UID.

Probably would be a shot in the dark with so little info to go on. I tried to search for more info on her but came up blank.

I thought I would post this article as it mentions at the bottom that this is the forensic anthropologist Nici Vance's latest case. It looks like she is doing some amazing work identifying the unidentified in Oregon. There is also details of an event she is hosting on the 9th January discussing her work if anyone is in the area and might be interested

http://www.oregonlive.com/living/index.ssf/2011/12/nici_vance_unravels_the_myster.html

Nici Vance unravels the mysteries of unidentified remains
Published: Saturday, December 31, 2011, 6:00 AM Updated: Saturday, December 31, 2011, 10:51 PM

CLACKAMAS -- The bones in the storage room and remains in the freezer bother Nici Vance.

A man washed up on a Lincoln County beach in 2002. A woman found inside a tent in Portland's Washington Park in 2008. A woman pulled from the Willamette River in 1993.

Who are they? Do they have family? Is anyone looking for them?

Four years ago there were 60 unidentified remains at the Oregon medical examiner's office where Vance works as a forensic anthropologist. The oldest had been on a shelf since 1968.

Vance wants to unravel their mysteries.

Seiko's watches arent cheap and they have warranties, could the watch possibly be traced by serial number? If the UID registered it.

Seiko's watches arent cheap and they have warranties, could the watch possibly be traced by serial number? If the UID registered it.

I went ahead and emailed Nici Nance as she was a contact I used in another unidentified case of a man found in the Willamette river. I suggested the person I mentioned in a previous post (Susan Hoppes Bennett) but said I didn't have a high amount of confidence in the possibility. I also suggested tracking the serial number on this watch as suggested by pepagirl.

I got an email back from her today thanking me for the suggestion. She did a cursory comparison of the dental records of the UID and Susan and she said they don't appear to be a match, but she is going to have a forensic odontologist compare them as well just to be certain.

She also let me know that this UID was cremated in 1993 with all her possessions - including the ring and watch. She said tracking was a very smart idea, but it isn't possible in this case, sadly.

She is a really nice person and I have no problem being the contact for her from here in any cases she is responsible for. She is prompt and complimentary of all volunteer efforts.

If there are other suggested persons you may think fit the UID description, post them here and if we think one should be submitted, I will go ahead and do so.

I went ahead and emailed Nici Nance as she was a contact I used in another unidentified case of a man found in the Willamette river. I suggested the person I mentioned in a previous post (Susan Hoppes Bennett) but said I didn't have a high amount of confidence in the possibility. I also suggested tracking the serial number on this watch as suggested by pepagirl.

I got an email back from her today thanking me for the suggestion. She did a cursory comparison of the dental records of the UID and Susan and she said they don't appear to be a match, but she is going to have a forensic odontologist compare them as well just to be certain.

She also let me know that this UID was cremated in 1993 with all her possessions - including the ring and watch. She said tracking was a very smart idea, but it isn't possible in this case, sadly.

She is a really nice person and I have no problem being the contact for her from here in any cases she is responsible for. She is prompt and complimentary of all volunteer efforts.

If there are other suggested persons you may think fit the UID description, post them here and if we think one should be submitted, I will go ahead and do so.

How sad! It was probably a long shot anyway, but you'd think it wouldn't take more than a small manila envelope to hold a ring and watch as evidence. Thanks for submitting and the follow up!

Here's the facial reconstruction on this Jane Doe.

2103198970045078242S200x200Q851.jpg

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9599

Audrey Marie Cox?
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cox_audrey.html

2103198970045078242S200x200Q851.jpg
cox_audrey.jpg

* Caesarean scar on abdomen
* She has a "deformed left thumb". The UID has a scar on back of left hand. That's not quite a match, but maybe close enough to double-check.
* Her height (5'4") is spot-on.
* Her age (27) is a little low, but close.
* Hair color might be off.
* Her DLC is one day before the UID was found (with a 2 day estimated postmortem interval). Perhaps it's too tight of a timeframe.

All in all, I'd say probably not. But the caesarean scar is tantalizing.

She does have a good resemblance to the sketch with a similiar face shape.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/2641dfwa.html

I am putting Carlota Marie Sanchez forward due to a similiar half circle scar on her hand that is described on the Jane Doe. She is a runaway and would have been within the age frame in 1993. I was having a look at the dentals of the Jane Doe to see whether she had two eye teeth removed like the Jane Doe but am having trouble. Would anyone who understand it better than me have a look?

http://doenetwork.org/cases/2641dfwa.html

I am putting Carlota Marie Sanchez forward due to a similiar half circle scar on her hand that is described on the Jane Doe. She is a runaway and would have been within the age frame in 1993. I was having a look at the dentals of the Jane Doe to see whether she had two eye teeth removed like the Jane Doe but am having trouble. Would anyone who understand it better than me have a look?

The Jane Doe still had her eye teeth.

As Carlotta's DoeNet page indicates though, she had "two sets" of eyeteeth before having one set removed. So apparently, she still had one set. But I suppose that the prior removal of the eyeteeth would be detectable, and nothing is mentioned in regard to that.

Also, the scar on Carlotta's hand is described as being on the palm (left or right not indicated). The scar on the UID's left hand is described as being on the back of the hand. That's pretty close though.

She's a little taller than the UID, but we've seen plenty of height discrepancies in other cases where a positive ID was made.

I sent her in to the case manager on Nameus, just to get her ruled out.

That ring is either Hopi or Zuni design. I have a similar though not identical one that I bought in Santa Fe. But that style was very popular all over the country in the 80's so she probably got it where she lived. Might be worth considering a southwestern origin, though.

New at this, so there are probably obvious reasons I'm wrong (height is off by 1-2 inches, for starters, but:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/show/3124

Herlinda Soto?

Not likely as Soto appeared to have died violently and the unidentified person was said to have drowned (and her body was recovered very soon after death so the injuries she suffered would have been apparent and indicated in the story.

Not likely as Soto appeared to have died violently and the unidentified person was said to have drowned (and her body was recovered very soon after death so the injuries she suffered would have been apparent and indicated in the story.

Ok, just so I can understand what kind of cases should be assumed to violate "Occam's Razor" (i.e., too complicated/unlikely), is it specifically because they found blood in Soto's house? (Sometimes it's described as 'smears', sometimes 'a significant quantity') In other words, the simplest/most likely explanation is that she died at the scene or was dead soon after abduction, and therefore her being alive for two more months--and maybe having some wounds heal--before she went into the Willamette many states away is just too complicated/unlikely?

Thanks in advance (do want to learn).

Attachments

• UP9599_Sketch_hair.jpg
    UP9599_Sketch_hair.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 22
  • soto.jpg
    soto.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 23
Ok, just so I can understand what kind of cases should be assumed to violate "Occam's Razor" (i.e., too complicated/unlikely), is it specifically because they found blood in Soto's house? (Sometimes it's described as 'smears', sometimes 'a significant quantity') In other words, the simplest/most likely explanation is that she died at the scene or was dead soon after abduction, and therefore her being alive for two more months--and maybe having some wounds heal--before she went into the Willamette many states away is just too complicated/unlikely?

Thanks in advance (do want to learn).

In general, yes. In this case...I'm not sure. It seems entirely plausible that if her ex-husband beat her up (I haven't seen anything to indicate whether or not he's a suspect), she got up and took herself to the highway and hung out her thumb and got as far away from him as she could. (I know a woman who left her husband in exactly those circumstances.)

Everything else is close, and it seems to me that the reason many of the missing have not been located is that they aren't where they're supposed to be. Most commonly they're nearby and just overlooked, but sometimes the simple answer is wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back