Palm-sized baby among the world's smallest

Reader

Reaction score
http://centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9RKRB300@news.ap.org>&ps=1011

LOS ANGELES (AP) — At birth, Melinda Star Guido was so tiny she could fit into the palm of her doctor's hand. Weighing just 9 1/2 ounces — less than a soda can — she is among the smallest babies ever born in the world.

Most infants her size don't survive, but doctors are preparing to send her home by New Year's.

Melinda was born premature at 24 weeks in late August and spent the early months cocooned in an incubator in the neonatal intensive care unit in Los Angeles. Almost every day, her 22-year-old mother sits at her bedside and stays overnight whenever she can.

Despite the hurdles, Melinda lived to her original Thursday due date. She is believed to be the second-smallest baby to survive in the U.S. and third smallest in the world.

More at link....

Good for her!!
I hope she continues to thrive!!

She was so incredibly tiny due to her placenta not functioning, but her gestational age was 24 weeks. Kids born at this age are surviving more and more. I think preemies of 24 weeks gestation weight at least a pound, or pound and a half, so she was about half average size!!

WoW I thought my daughter was tiny at a pound and a half ..Too Cute

Awww.... my friends son was born at 24 weeks. Her water broke when she was 21 weeks pregnant, and the docs put her in the hospital on mandatory bedrest. They pumped her full of antibiotics and drugs to stop the labor, and she ended up hanging n until 24 weeks when he was in too much distress to wait any longer. The doctors took the chance and took him out then. Her son and my son were in NICU together, we even managed to get them in isolettes right across the aisle from each other. He is fine now, he just hit 13 pounds and the doctors want to take him off the high calorie special formula. I hope this little one continues to get better, and that she is another success story.

Amazing what they can do now, just amazing.

(I wonder about the challenges of clothing for her?) :heartluv:

So sweet.
I agree, she is a fighter!!!

Keep fighting baby girl! The world is blessed to have you in it.

:)

I wanna see!! The link just brings me to a general news page...

picture.php

picture.php

Amazing what they can do now, just amazing.

(I wonder about the challenges of clothing for her?) :heartluv:

When my daughter was born she was just over a pound . for the clothing we shopped at toys R us lol no joke...cabage patch dolls strip thier cloths off .lol

When my daughter was born she was just over a pound . for the clothing we shopped at toys R us lol no joke...cabage patch dolls strip thier cloths off .lol

That's exactly what popped into my head!! No kidding... with so many ittybitty babies making it, seems a niche market would be in place. Miracles, every one of them! :heartbeat:

Before someone thinks of an abortion, they should see this miracle of birth!

She was so incredibly tiny due to her placenta not functioning, but her gestational age was 24 weeks. Kids born at this age are surviving more and more. I think preemies of 24 weeks gestation weight at least a pound, or pound and a half, so she was about half average size!!

I can't pretend to even understand what happend in my girlfriend's ordeal with our daughter but i do know what happened .What they told us is that the placenta pulled away from the uterin wall I think thats the correct term .I live in a town of about 50 /60 thousand people so not to big .we went to the hospital but they couldn't deliver the baby as she needed a emergency C section so they flew us in a helicopter to toronto and there they did a emerg c section ..

She's going home!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4607084...eemie----one-smallest-survivors----going-home

One of the world's smallest surviving babies is headed home.

Melinda Star Guido weighed only 9 ½ ounces (.2 kilograms) at birth&#8212; less than a can of soda. After spending her early months in the neonatal intensive care unit, a team of doctors and nurses will gather Friday to see her off.

-------

Now weighing 4½ pounds (2 kilograms), doctors said Melinda has made enough progress to be discharged. It's too early to know how she will fare developmentally and physically, but doctors planned to monitor her for the next six years.

More at link...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back