TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

otto

Verified Expert
Reaction score
Starting a new thread because the other is really long.

Here are a couple of images related to the murder.

The general map of the area:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/zed0101/swiftObionRiver-1.jpg

Karen in relation to the 2006 Memorial Cross on Harness Road and the Bledsoe Cemetery:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/zed0101/swiftX.jpg

Close up of the kudzu field where Karen was found; 100 yards North of Harness Rd and 40 feet West of the Cemetery Road:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/zed0101/swiftX2.jpg

Link to last Thread: Found Deceased TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I suppose the main questions are:

Why was Karen not at home in her bed?

What caused her tire to come off the rim?

What is the probability that a random stranger would commit murder and leave the victim's vehicle, clothing, cell phone and body in four different locations all along the same 3 mile stretch of road three weeks after the victim petitioned for divorce?

What explanation is given by the husband regarding pyjamas ... where are they? Was she wearing them when he saw her from the top of the stairs?

What other main points would there be ... did she have a second cell phone that close friends were providing?

Someone mentioned there is a farm near to where her car was found. Farm workers (if this is a working farm) start early in the day, they are up before the crack of dawn. Farmers often hire drifters with little if any background checks. I'd be interested to know if that is the case with this farm.
I also understand there is a RSO nearby? What would the extent of his criminal record be? Was he a violent SO? Was he still on probation?
I believe we have to be able to look outside of the statistics in any case and see if anything fits, which is what I think LE was saying about not wanting tunnel vision to narrow the scope of their investigation.

Here are some house and yard photos, aerial and virtual model:

Camera2.jpg

swifthomedetails.jpg

swifthouseext.jpg

Someone might have gone through the trees from the car to the house

swift-paths2.gif

Otto, would that area where you have the possible path back to the home also infested with Kudzu?

Someone mentioned there is a farm near to where her car was found. Farm workers (if this is a working farm) start early in the day, they are up before the crack of dawn. Farmers often hire drifters with little if any background checks. I'd be interested to know if that is the case with this farm.
I also understand there is a RSO nearby? What would the extent of his criminal record be? Was he a violent SO? Was he still on probation?
I believe we have to be able to look outside of the statistics in any case and see if anything fits, which is what I think LE was saying about not wanting tunnel vision to narrow the scope of their investigation.

He lives about 10 houses south of where the car was parked. The property is somewhat split, with the back, northwest quarter being a separate building/house. I don't think anyone knows why he has that designation. Nowadays, youth couples are given that designation if their ages fall over someone's 18th birthday ... and they keep the designation for life, even if they are both teenagers. Whomever turns 18 first becomes a predator ... does that work when the girl turns 18 first? Sorry ... lost on a tangent ... 10 houses South, no clue what he did.

Otto, would that area where you have the possible path back to the home also infested with Kudzu?

I don't think so. In looking at earlier aerial photos, it looks like the area is forested. The area behind the house, South of the Swifts 5 acre property, is a flood plane and there is a slough/pond to the SW. The area is hilly between the Swift property and Millsfield Hwy. and good for horseback riding or ATVs.

swiftpropertymap.jpg

The question marks should be ignored ... this image is from before I knew for sure where the car was in relation to the house. The locations are accurate.

swiftcarhouse.jpg

Aerial imagery 1998 - 2011 surrounding the Swift property

swift_property_1998_2011.gif

Also, the image above from the newspaper, that was after the kudzu was cut down in a circle around where Karen was lying on the ground.

How would you get a body into kudzu anyway? I read that a machete is needed to cut through it once it takes hold and that a trunk can be about 6 inches in diameter ... does that sound right? I read that this vine grows one foot in one day and can grow as much as 60 feet in a season. It has shoots that grow rapidly towards the sun, use other objects as a hosts (anything from trees to cars and barns) and kills/destroys everything in it's wake. It was widely seeded from 1886 - 1972 through the eastern US coast to prevent erosion and provide shade or lifestock feed. Left unattended for a season, kudzu took over the house. The photos and video-propaganda posted upthread are much appreciated.

My question is: how would someone get a body into that tangled forest when the plant was thriving at the end of October? Did the branches bend, allowing her to fall to the ground? I did read that the plant is used in basket weaving. The root system is 6 feet deep and seems to spread from a bulb but snake out under the dirt and grow into new, independent plants. In addition to reminding me of Day of the Triffods, it reminds me of a locust infestation. When the murderer put her there, did he expect the branches to bend and the leaf cover to camouflage her until she was nothing but bones? How long does decomposition take in Tn at this time of year?

As I've written before, we have some kudzu growing in my neighborhood in a vacant lot, so I'm well-acquainted with the stuff.

I think the murderer thought she would never be found. But kudzu is deciduous, not evergreen. It would almost be comical to think about such a mistake were this not such a tragic situation. :( I prefer to think of it as Karen getting revenge on the person who tried to hide her from the world.

Decomposition would have slowed down here in the winter, but there are scavengers that live here all year such as vultures. Also, spring comes early so by next year there might not have been much left - if she had remained covered.

The irony is that if he had put the body down in a ravine and covered it with brown leaves, it might not have been found. But because he chose such a "green" place as the dumping ground, as well as putting it beside a cemetary road, the body was easily found.

The reason most people wouldn't step into kudzu is that there could be anything under the leaves - snakes mainly, but also fire ant mounds, opossums, rats, rabid raccoons, brown recluse spiders, black widows - you name it. You can't see under the leaves at all. I've seen everything from snakes to rabbits to foxes running into the kudzu.

You can walk in it, but the vines are thick and springy and will trip you up - which is why it's interesting to me that the husband was on crutches soon after Karen's disappearance.

Where her body was found, the vines are creeping over the ground. The leaves grow on stalks that blanket the area. Someone could have walked part of the way into the kudzu then tossed her body further. When we trim tree branches we throw them into the kudzu because they'll be covered up. Things just sink into it, but later after the frost it all dies.

As I've written before, we have some kudzu growing in my neighborhood in a vacant lot, so I'm well-acquainted with the stuff.

I think the murderer thought she would never be found. But kudzu is deciduous, not evergreen. It would almost be comical to think about such a mistake were this not such a tragic situation. :( I prefer to think of it as Karen getting revenge on the person who tried to hide her from the world.

Decomposition would have slowed down here in the winter, but there are scavengers that live here all year such as vultures. Also, spring comes early so by next year there might not have been much left - if she had remained covered.

The irony is that if he had put the body down in a ravine and covered it with brown leaves, it might not have been found. But because he chose such a "green" place as the dumping ground, as well as putting it beside a cemetary road, the body was easily found.

The reason most people wouldn't step into kudzu is that there could be anything under the leaves - snakes mainly, but also fire ant mounds, opossums, rats, rabid raccoons, brown recluse spiders, black widows - you name it. You can't see under the leaves at all. I've seen everything from snakes to rabbits to foxes running into the kudzu.

You can walk in it, but the vines are thick and springy and will trip you up - which is why it's interesting to me that the husband was on crutches soon after Karen's disappearance.

Where her body was found, the vines are creeping over the ground. The leaves grow on stalks that blanket the area. Someone could have walked part of the way into the kudzu then tossed her body further. When we trim tree branches we throw them into the kudzu because they'll be covered up. Things just sink into it, but later after the frost it all dies.

[Tennessee girl here who lived a lot of years in Mississippi and was once accused of "bringing" Kudzu to Northwest Arkansas (really, I was)]:

BBM: That's why you wouldn't catch me setting foot in the stuff. There is absolutely no telling what is growing under it.

We have to remember that Kudzu does grow at an alarming rate. Given that fact, wonder how "far in" poor Karen was tossed. The Kudzu's grown since that date. Odds are nobody had to creep into the Kudzu very far at all. It's come to Karen...Karen didn't have to get carried to it.

Interesting. The husband had a knee injury in May where he injured a tendon on the patella ... the knee cap. At the end of October, he was suddenly again on cruthces? It takes 6 months to recover from knee surgery, but without the need for surgery it should heal faster and certainly 6 months after the injury he should have been off the crutches. What secondary injury did he have around the time that Karen was murdered?

Is it possible that someone stumbled a little into the kudzu to heave/throw a body into the vines and she would sink to the ground? She would become another host for the vines, I suppose, and the shadow creatures, like rats. I couldn't imagine living in a place like that ... with rat and noxious weed infestations.

Otto, I rather think that he decided to "need" crutches at the time of Karen's disappearance in order to give the impression to law enforcement that he would be incapable of having caused said disappearance.

I do not for one second believe that he truly NEEDED those crutches. I firmly believe that they were used as part of a facade.

I live in Washington, DC. We have a parkway here that runs along the Potomac River called George Washington Parkway. In the spring and summer months, GW Pkwy is completely overrun by kudzu vines. It's beautiful, but kind of menacing, because it takes over everything - the trees, rocks, posts, etc. Reminds me of Little Shop of Horrors.

My husband and I were driving down the Parkway the other day, and I was alarmed at how much I could see now that the kudzu is dying off. You could see expansive views of the river and Georgetown, you could see deep into the park. It turns into bare bones during the winter months. Year after year, I'm always amazed at the "new" views of the city when the kudzu dies off.

I was looking for before and after pictures of Kudzu vines, and I found a blog post with examples. (am I allowed to post it)? If I'm allowed to post it, it's linked here. If I'm not allowed to post it, I'll delete it.

Here is a message from her oldest son, which was posted on one of the FB memorial pages:

Thanks for the prayer and thoughts everyone! My family and I really appreciate everyone who has helped in our time of need! I know my Mom is looking down on us and thanking everyone who has helped us and prayed for her! My Mom was such a great fun loving person! I know and trust that God will put things right! On my Moms behalf, I will not give up! We will find out how and what happen! We are still strong! My Mom taught us all how to be strong! Love you Mom!

I live in Washington, DC. We have a parkway here that runs along the Potomac River called George Washington Parkway. In the spring and summer months, GW Pkwy is completely overrun by kudzu vines. It's beautiful, but kind of menacing, because it takes over everything - the trees, rocks, posts, etc. Reminds me of Little Shop of Horrors.

My husband and I were driving down the Parkway the other day, and I was alarmed at how much I could see now that the kudzu is dying off. You could see expansive views of the river and Georgetown, you could see deep into the park. It turns into bare bones during the winter months. Year after year, I'm always amazed at the "new" views of the city when the kudzu dies off.

I was looking for before and after pictures of Kudzu vines, and I found a blog post with examples. (am I allowed to post it)? If I'm allowed to post it, it's linked here. If I'm not allowed to post it, I'll delete it.

OT: Just got off the GW Parkway (we live along it...). :seeya:

Regarding a conversation on the previous thread about a hearing, since she filed for divorce three weeks before disappearing... I looked at the TN law and just like in Georgia, the other party has 30 days to respond before an initial hearing is set. Seems like there can be emergency arrangements but only in cases of domestic violence/restraining orders.

Hope this helps!

http://www.wtls.org/images/Family/What You Need to Know About DivorceIII.pdf

Just waiting and seeing what news will come about this...I feel so sorry for her children all 4 of them. Just seeing that on her fb memorial page, I'm guessing it was from Preston just absouetly broke my heart. :(

Just waiting and seeing what news will come about this...I feel so sorry for her children all 4 of them. Just seeing that on her fb memorial page, I'm guessing it was from Preston just absouetly broke my heart. :(

I saw this mentioned in the comments of another site, but it's a good point - I wonder if LE is holding off on making an arrest until after the holidays, so that the children can spend it with their father?

I saw this mentioned in the comments of another site, but it's a good point - I wonder if LE is holding off on making an arrest until after the holidays, so that the children can spend it with their father?

I think that sounds very thoughtful, but I don't believe LE would delay arresting someone for murder. I think when they get enough evidence, they're going to make their move right away. :twocents:

I have wondered that myself. I am worried for the safety of the children. I am praying as soon as LE has their ducks in a row, they arrest the person responsible. I think the murderer's state of mind can't be good and hasn't been good. Surely LE would not wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni