GUILTY OH - Rachel Yoder, 15, Amish, shot to death in buggy, 15 Dec 2011

oh_gal

Reaction score
More violence against the Amish.

FREDRICKSBURG, Ohio - Police in two Ohio counties are investigating the death of a 15-year-old girl who was shot while riding home from a party in a horse and buggy.

The incident was reported to authorities as a possible crash at 10:47 p.m. Thursday.

The Holmes County Sheriff’s Office said Rachel Yoder of Fredricksburg was returning home from an employee Christmas party after dropping off a friend at her home at about 10 p.m., when she was apparently shot in the head near the intersection of County Road 229 and Township Road 614 in Salt Creek Township.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...g-home-in-buggy-from-work-party#ixzz1glsROaqn

Poor baby. I hate to hear this. RIP :rose::star::rose:

The link says her brother found her on the ground unresponsive.

So sad.
:(
Why would anyone do this?

That was my question Kim why would anyone do this?

The girl reportedly had been attending a Christmas party at a home and left around 10 p.m.

She dropped a friend off before starting the one-mile trip home alone, which is when authorities believe she was shot, said Sheriff Timothy W. Zimmerly.

Authorities believe she was shot while in her buggy, heading west on County Road 229.

She remained in the buggy until it arrived near her residence, where she apparently fell out along a path.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/business/x435676854/Fredericksburg-teen-is-fatally-shot-while-driving-a-buggy

Not much new at this link.

While any death of a young person is extremely tragic, it seems even worse when it happens to someone from a non-violent community.

Rest in peace, Rachel.
:rose:

a single bullet pulled from the head of the Wayne County teen during a morning autopsy will be sent for analysis at the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation.

There, lab technicians will determine the caliber of the projectile, helping investigators better identify the weapon used in the shooting and the distance from which it may have been shot, Zimmerly said, adding nothing else of consequence was noted on autopsy of the teen who was taken off of life support and died Friday afternoon.

http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/5137014

More specifics as to her route.

At 10:46 p.m. a Fredericksburg Volunteer Fire Department emergency squad was called from a neighboring residence to 11599 Salt Creek Road, Fredericksburg, to respond to a teen with a head injury.

She was shot Thursday night as she made her way home from a work Christmas party at a private residence along Holmes County Road 229. She left around 10 p.m. and dropped a friend off along the same road before completing the mile-long trip home alone.

There are several theories about the shooting, including the possibility that the Amish buggy was targeted, or that Rachel was accidentally shot by a hunter.

"Somebody unloading a weapon, coming home from muzzle loading, hunting or something like that," said Zuercher.

The Yoder family's grief is compounded by the fact that Rachel's mother, 54-year-old Mary Yoder, was killed in September, when the van she was riding in was hit by a flatbed truck.

"Oh, it's terribly difficult. The impact on the family is just unimaginable, said Zuercher. "I mean, the hurt will never go away."

The death of Rachel Yoder is being investigated as a homicide; however, investigators are not sure if it was an accident or not.

Anyone with information on what happened is asked to call the sheriff's office in Holmes or Wayne counties.
http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-amish-community-stunned-by-girls-shooting-death-txt,0,4175223.story

Heartbreaking and senseless-- it smacks of a stray bullet, it's so random. But, if it was a two legged predator, I hope the hunt is on and the posse is out. mo

I was wondering if it was a freak hunting accident, as well. I'm not a hunter, so am not in tune with various hunting seasons, but today while driving down some country roads, I saw lots of hunters out, very early this morning.

I don't know if hunters hunt at 10 pm at night, but I'd rather think it was a tragic accident, than someone deliberately targeted this girl.

Help me out here. Who would be out hunting at 10:30 at night in Northern Ohio in December, in farmland territory?

This area looks like end to end farm, and the road is quite rural. I can't imagine that there is much traffic along there at that time of night. What are the chances that a stray bullet hits someone in the head while they are driving/riding along the road?

I think someone was shooting intentionally. jmo

Help me out here. Who would be out hunting at 10:30 at night in Northern Ohio in December, in farmland territory?

This area looks like end to end farm, and the road is quite rural. I can't imagine that there is much traffic along there at that time of night. What are the chances that a stray bullet hits someone in the head while they are driving/riding along the road?

I think someone was shooting intentionally. jmo

(above bbm)
I was confused by that, as well.
Interestingly, some of the local news stations didn't even mention this tonight. I would have thought it would have merited some attention, anyway.

Heartbreaking and senseless-- it smacks of a stray bullet, it's so random. But, if it was a two legged predator, I hope the hunt is on and the posse is out. mo

It was a stray bullet, according to the Holmes County sheriff:

http://www.wlwt.com/news/30038612/detail.html?qs=4

FREDERICKSBURG, Ohio -- An Ohio sheriff says a man cleaning his muzzle-loading rifle accidentally shot and killed a 15-year-old Amish girl driving a horse-drawn buggy more than a mile away.

Holmes County Sheriff Timothy Zimmerly said Tuesday that the accident occurred Thursday night when a man fired his loaded rifle to clean it. He says the victim, Rachel Yoder of Fredericksburg, was nearly 1.5 miles away when she was shot in the head.
No charges have been filed.

FREDERICKSBURG, Ohio -- An Ohio sheriff says a man cleaning his muzzle-loading rifle accidentally shot and killed a 15-year-old Amish girl driving a horse-drawn buggy more than a mile away.

Holmes County Sheriff Timothy Zimmerly said Tuesday that the accident occurred Thursday night when a man fired his loaded rifle to clean it. He says the victim, Rachel Yoder of Fredericksburg, was nearly 1.5 miles away when she was shot in the head.

he cleaned his gun in an area where people were

Oh, goodness. Can you imagine how this man feels? Tragic, all around.

I cannot get over the randomness of this. A lone girl on a horse and buggy. In the middle of nowhere. Just shakin my head..from over a mile away.

Prayers for both the victims family and the poor guy that discharged the weapon.

The article states he fired his loaded rifle "to clean it". I've never heard of anything like that.

First rule of handling firearms is never to point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. Second rule: if you must fire, make sure you have a safe backstop behind your target.

And who in his right mind cleans a rifle while it's loaded??

How sad-I will keep her and her community in my prayers

My thoughts and prayers are with both families and the entire Amish community. They are very close knit and if it affects one it affects them all. So sad and such a terrible tragedy.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back