1205 users online (224 members and 981 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

The Killing Season News
This page is dedicated to A&E's The Killing Season - an immersive true crime series following filmmakers, Joshua Zeman and Rachel Mills, as they uncover a real-life American nightmare while investigating the Long Island Serial Killer and other unsolved cases across the country.

• TONIGHT SEASON FINALE - Join Josh and Rachel tonight on Twitter, #TheKillingSeason, as they discuss the final two episodes of The Killing Season! Tweeting starts at 8:30 PM Eastern final episodes on A&E start at 9:00 PM Eastern
  • WEBSLEUTHS RADIO - Every Tuesday, join Josh, Rachel and special guests to discuss the latest episode and share your theories on air.
    Next show this Tuesday, Dec 6th 8-9:30 PM EST Episodes 7 and 8 DiscussedCLICK HERE

Join the Long Island Serial Killer discussion going now, RIGHT HERE on Websleuths

Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Kat View Post
    Additionally, there are MANY factors that affect the rate of decomposition, not just temperature. Body weight, dampness, aridness, type of material covering body, lack of material covering body, insect activity, etc. etc. And the combination of all these factors can increase or diminish decomposition, depending upon how the combined conditions aid or detract from one another. It's entirely possible for a body to skeletonize in that time period under certain conditions.
    Ooo wee, trust me, I know all about that.

But I was referring to what some people have suggested was paradoxical undressing (from hypothermia) - removing your warm clothing even as you are freezing to death. So I imagine you'd just feel hot and start taking stuff off - it wouldn't matter that your top is in actuality keeping you warmer. It's easier to take off, you can do it while you're still moving, and it's the first thing people remove when they undress, or at least I think most people would remove a top before they'd remove pants. It seems to me paradoxical undressing would have nothing to do with what's wet and what isn't.
    I'm confused. Are you saying that she was behaving rationally because she took her pants, which were presumably wet, off first. Or are you saying that she was behaving irrationally because she didn't take her shirt off first which would be more logical in your mind because it would be easier? As I read it you're saying her behavior was rational on one hand and on the other you're saying it was irrational. It was rational because she was taking off wet clothing and it was irrational because pants would be more difficult to take off than a shirt and thus would be out of logical order.

Either way, you are thinking rationally about the behavior of someone who probably had a break from reality and may very well have been suffering from advanced hypothermia. If she was having a break and/or suffering from advanced hypothermia she was not thinking rationally.

edit: nevermind, I think you may be referring to someone else suggesting that it was logical for her to take her pants off because they would have been wet and thus contributing in some way to her remaining cold and that this indicates she was not suffering from advanced hypothermia because it displays rationality?
    Last edited by QuasiComposMentis; 12-15-2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: understanding the response?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...serial-killer/

The autopsy on the skeletal remains, which were uncovered Tuesday by Suffolk police in a dense marshy area near Oak Beach, is expected to take some time to complete. Investigators say the remains are likely to belong to Shannon Gilbert, theorizing based on circumstantial evidence that the death was consistent with drowning.

The medical examiner has what appears to be a "full skeleton" to work with trying to determine cause of death, the source told CBS News.

Scientists will be going "bone by bone" looking for any sign of traumatic injury which is expected to take a long time, the source said.

With this situation circumstantial evidence when it comes to a body, I would rather know the facts instead the proof of the death and who it is exactly. At least before making a statement.

I'm glad to see that they're going to be really meticulous, going bone by bone.

Opinions - what circumstantial evidence would support the drowning theory? I can't think of something - if it's her belongings that's a load.

I FOUND THE MAP

Mods, please remove and leave link if I can't post the map here. If it is ok, can you move it to the first post? I think this map really makes you go "WOW that's a huge distance".

LOOK HOW CLOSE she and her items were to the road. Look how far they are from each other. Unless it turns out that her belongings were also found somewhere in the middle, I'm still disagreeing with LE.

Map courtesy of the Long Island Press
    http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/...-was-murdered/
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...urder-mystery/

Investigators don't believe Shannan Gilbert is another victim of the killer. Instead, they theorize she accidentally drowned. But Gilbert's family refuses to believe that. They say the 911 call and the fact that her clothing and purse were found far from her remains suggests murder.

Moriarty will have more on this case on "48 Hours Mystery," Saturday evening at 10/9 central, on CBS.
    ---

Nothing really new in the article
    But, Looks like a show for us all to watch..

Scientists will be going "bone by bone" looking for any sign of traumatic injury which is expected to take a long time, the source said.
    Hmm, re-reading that,, Kinda goes with my thinking on shannan.
    She was going threw the marsh, broke a leg or ankle and went into shock and possibly went hypothermic.. I dont really think she drowned tho, supose anything is possibly tho..

FWIW, Fluke is says he has reliable sources saying they did find a metal jaw plate and it is shannans remains..

Quote Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
    I FOUND THE MAP

Mods, please remove and leave link if I can't post the map here. If it is ok, can you move it to the first post? I think this map really makes you go "WOW that's a huge distance".

LOOK HOW CLOSE she and her items were to the road. Look how far they are from each other. Unless it turns out that her belongings were also found somewhere in the middle, I'm still disagreeing with LE.

Map courtesy of the Long Island Press
    http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/...-was-murdered/
    Sorry but that map at Long Island Press is incorrect. They have the location of her personal items too far West. The Newsday map is more accurate. Whoever made that map for Long Island Press clearly was mistaken because they have her belongings as being found on the access path that they started using to search. That path was searched the previous Tuesday and then was used repeatably to access the wetlands. Here is the correct map;

That map can be found here; Map

Her belongings were far from the road as you can see.

I swear I read that that map was incorrect too, maybe not. Either way, if they found other items between those two main spots I'll believe the no-SK-involved theory.

I still find it difficult to believe that if Gilbert removed her shoes (near where the shoes, cellphone & purse were found) that she walked *BAREFOOT* 3/4 of a mile thru the brush, etc. to where she finally expired.

I know it's been posted before but Gilbert vanished May 1st, 2010

Here are the historical weather conditions for that day

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

so, I don't understand why some are posting about hypothermia.

True, she wasn't searched for til December 2010....but she vanished in MAY

Quote Originally Posted by Seaslug44 View Post
    Sorry but that map at Long Island Press is incorrect. They have the location of her personal items too far West. The Newsday map is more accurate. Whoever made that map for Long Island Press clearly was mistaken because they have her belongings as being found on the access path that they started using to search. That path was searched the previous Tuesday and then was used repeatably to access the wetlands. Here is the correct map;

That map can be found here; Map

Her belongings were far from the road as you can see.
    The "track marks" on this map of what I am assuming, is the vehicle used to search for Shannon are interesting. They seem to pan out in an oval grid from where the belongings were found, and then veer off towards a clump of shrubbery on the left. After circling that clump of shrubbery, they seem to have circled around the "big clump of shrubbery" on the right, and they zero in on where the remains were found. Really interesting!!!!

You can experience hypothermia with enough of your body heat escaping you through sweating and your clothes becoming wet creating more heat loss.

Just as one can have a heat stroke in winter with over exertion.

Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast