Giant Tsunami-Shaped Clouds Roll Across Alabama Sky

Dark Knight

Reaction score
For a morning, the sky looked like a surfer's dream: A series of huge breaking waves lined the horizon in Birmingham, Ala., on Friday (Dec. 16), their crests surging forward in slow motion. Amazed Alabamans took photos of the clouds and sent them to their local weather station, wondering, "What are these tsunamis in the sky?"

http://news.yahoo.com/giant-tsunami-shape-clouds-roll-across-alabama-sky-192102289.html

Wow, I am a trained weather spotter, but I have never ever seen any clouds such as this, it is extremely cool! Just wow!

For a morning, the sky looked like a surfer's dream: A series of huge breaking waves lined the horizon in Birmingham, Ala., on Friday (Dec. 16), their crests surging forward in slow motion. Amazed Alabamans took photos of the clouds and sent them to their local weather station, wondering, "What are these tsunamis in the sky?"

http://news.yahoo.com/giant-tsunami-shape-clouds-roll-across-alabama-sky-192102289.html

Wow, I am a trained weather spotter, but I have never ever seen any clouds such as this, it is extremely cool! Just wow!
k-h-clouds-1_204718.jpg

Whoa!!!!!

These are amazing! Never even heard of them, much less seen a pic! Thanks, DK!

That is one of the most awesome things I have ever seen! Our world is full of so many wonders and mysteries! Chills!

Thanks Dark Knight!

wm

I wonder how they are formed and what ill winds they may bring to neighboring areas.

Stilettos I am with you. It looks manmade. But since DK is the one posting it, I have to believe it is offical. It is very cool looking. But if it had showed up in a movies, I would have been saying that the sky wasn't realistic.

Otto we have had so many bad weather hits in the world the last few years that my first thought when I read this was "how much damage???" I think if I was there and if I had seen this before the explanation I would be skeered!

It reminds me of one of those psychological test. I see a herd of dinosaurs. It is one of the strangest formations I have seen in awhile. The other night I was looking at a sunset and it looked just like someone had painted it, it was that perfect.

Stilettos I am with you. It looks manmade. But since DK is the one posting it, I have to believe it is offical. It is very cool looking. But if it had showed up in a movies, I would have been saying that the sky wasn't realistic.

Otto we have had so many bad weather hits in the world the last few years that my first thought when I read this was "how much damage???" I think if I was there and if I had seen this before the explanation I would be skeered!

I agree ... The weather systems seem to be more dramatic in recent years, so something like that might have me bolting everything down.

I wonder how they are formed and what ill winds they may bring to neighboring areas.

The article said it was basically cold air close to the ground being dragged along by faster moving warm air right above it. There was no talk of severe weather, but there is a scientific name associated with the phenomenon.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back