Canada - Robert White for building dungeon in kidnap plot, Pickering, Ont, 2011

Hazel

Reaction score
Dec 21, 2011 - 10:55 AM

UPDATE: Dungeon discovered in Pickering farmhouse
Police probe discovery of 'bizarre' room in the basement of an abandoned rural house

"It's bizarre," Durham homicide Detective Chuck Nash said of what police are describing as a confinement room, discovered late last month in a house in the vicinity of Concession 7 and the York-Durham Line. MAP "It is a spooky scene."

The newly-constructed room was stumbled upon by contractors surveying the abandoned farmhouse, which is slated for demolition.
Police aren't revealing many details but Det. Nash said elements of the room made its purpose clear: it appears to be designed specifically to hold someone captive.

"We tried to come up with alternatives," he said. "There aren't any."

read more: http://www.durhamregion.com/pickering/article/1266464

0726820343ec8ae44b33eaa0b9a4.jpeg

Contractors found what appears to be a confinement room in the basement of this abandoned farmhouse.
There is a dark secret in Pickering, a secret the police don’t want to talk about. Someone, maybe several people, recently built a dungeon in an abandoned, 136-year-old farmhouse.

No one is missing and there is no evidence of a crime — besides trespassing.

The house is hidden behind a long, tree-lined lane, nestled in a woodlot between a cropped cornfield and a gurgling creek.
It would be picturesque if its contents weren’t so terrifying.

The room, in the few details police have revealed, is secured by a heavy door with several locks, designed to trap someone inside. But the police don’t want to describe it for fear of compromising their investigation into a crime that may not have occurred.
Full article: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1105085--padlocked-room-in-abandoned-house-raises-alarm#article

I suppose there could be an innocent explanation. I can't think of one, but maybe someone else can.

My first thought was whether that is where Christine Jessop was taken. I just checked a map and Queensville, Ontario, where she lived, isn't all that far away from this dungeon. I'm going to have a look for the location where she was found and see if it's plausible. She disappeared on Oct 3 1984. Her bones were found scattered over a wide area and her family found some long after the investigation was over.

Guy Paul Morin was tried three times for the murder and eventually exonerated. He wrote the book Redrum.

Sounds like a possible end destination of anyone who disappeared while hitchhiking within a hundred-mile radius.

My first thought was whether that is where Christine Jessop was taken. I just checked a map and Queensville, Ontario, where she lived, isn't all that far away from this dungeon. I'm going to have a look for the location where she was found and see if it's plausible. She disappeared on Oct 3 1984. Her bones were found scattered over a wide area and her family found some long after the investigation was over.

Guy Paul Morin was tried three times for the murder and eventually exonerated. He wrote the book Redrum.

Scary to say the least. Many other missing persons come to mind, but apparently the "dangeon" has been constructed fairly recently:

Sabean inspected the house in November 2010; he examines homes for their heritage value and has written reports for Transport Canada, which is in charge of the expansive swath of Crown land.

“There was no confinement room then,” Sabean said, “but there was a lot of junk, which is normal when people leave homes they never owned.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1105085--padlocked-room-in-abandoned-house-raises-alarm#article

It looks like the location where Christine Jessop was found is in the wrong direction.

jessop.jpg

Caption on first two pictures: "140 Seventh"....
Caption on third picture: "3970 Brock"...

source for Pictures: http://www.durhamregion.com/pickering/article/1266464

Aren't those pictures two different houses?

The first two pictures show houses with columns on the porch, the third pic doesn't. The first two pics show a window on the second floor, porch side. The third pic doesn't, the window there is on the end. There appears to be an outbuilding attached in the first two pics, but none in the third one.

ETA: Looking closely at the pics and the article it looks like the first two pics are of the house where the dungeon was found. The third one, from Brock street is titled as being one of the houses the council has voted to save because of it's heritage value.

Who the heck would invest the time, money and energy to build a dungeon?
------------

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1105085--padlocked-room-in-abandoned-house-raises-alarm#article

The former tenants, who police say aren’t suspects, sold herbs and flowers they grew on the property. The government boarded it up after they left.
-------------

Of course there are no suspects. Because it's apparently not a crime to build a dungeon.

However, there is no mention that any evidence, such as fingerprints, etc. was found there.

Aren't those pictures two different houses?

The first two pictures show houses with columns on the porch, the third pic doesn't. The first two pics show a window on the second floor, porch side. The third pic doesn't, the window there is on the end. There appears to be an outbuilding attached in the first two pics, but none in the third one.

I think so too. Third house- chimney is not external.

[bbm]

I thought Kirk Makin wrote it.

eta: yep, he did

Amazon.com: Kirk Makin: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, [email]Kindle@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com[/email]/images/I/51o8AVGPNUL.@@AMEPARAM@@51o8AVGPNUL

It looks like the location where Christine Jessop was found is in the wrong direction.

jessop.jpg

I think Jessop has been ruled out because the room is believed to be more recent. But even if it wasn't, the fact that the bones were found in a different direction would be expected. The perp wouldn't want to drop them off near his home for obvious reasons. He might not want to go back to the area where she lived, cause those people might be more on the alert. So he would choose a third place to leave the bones.

I would be SO freaked out if I lived in that area - there's obviously some weirdo around there who knows that house is abandoned ...

person must be married or live with others & can't construct one at home

I'll tell you who would construct a dungeon in their house. Someone like this:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jamelske"]John Jamelske - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Oh, and this case was again on a U.S. crime program. I've noted this case several times on websleuths.

Boy they are really downplaying the fact that they found a dungeon room. Saying it may have been used to make a movie or other uses.

One thing they are very carefully not saying, is whether or not it showed any signs of previous usage or occupancy.

Ok the home was inspected in Nov. 10, and the guy who inspected it says the room wasn't there then. I wonder if LE is checking him out? He would have been a prime POI in my eyes.

Other misc. facts, the gov took the home over in 1972, it has had tennants at some points since then, but has been vacant for the last 5 years. Boards were put up at that time.

Interesting and very creepy ! I really can't think of an innocent use for building this 'dungeon'. If it was for a movie, they usually do/construct those within a specified period of time; with alot of coming and going in between, I'd think.
This makes you wonder if there are other such 'places' that haven't been found yet ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back