GUILTY PA - Patricia Crawley for abandoning newborn, Philadelphia, 2011

I wonder how far this was from the nearest hospital/doctors office...there are beds right by the doors in hospitals here that are available to put babies in...why a box...baby could have died...

Hoping mom, or whoever put her there, knew that the daycare would soon open? Still, so many safer places she could have been left...won't most daycare centers have cameras? Maybe she knew hospitals, etc. would but did not think of it for a daycare place.

At least it wasn't a garbage bag in a dumpster.She was making an effort at least.

This mother wont be protected under the safe haven laws. Even though she might have thought the day care fell under that protection.

So when they charge her for doing this ,woman and girls wont trust the safe haven laws.

Safe haven laws should be taught to students in sex ed. That way at least they know.

So thankful this little one is safe - and will have a future. I bet potentially adoptive parents are standing in line for this pumpkin!

There should be a list of safe haven locations and rules organized state by state. THen we should put the link for that website on a tiny slip of paper all by itself, and it should be mandatory that all makers of home pregnancy tests insert these slips into their packages with the test...

Some mothers would still choose to abandon, as opposed to seeking a safe haven, but if it saves one, it saves one.

There should be a list of safe haven locations and rules organized state by state. THen we should put the link for that website on a tiny slip of paper all by itself, and it should be mandatory that all makers of home pregnancy tests insert these slips into their packages with the test...

Some mothers would still choose to abandon, as opposed to seeking a safe haven, but if it saves one, it saves one.

What a WONDERFUL idea!!!!!!

I wonder how far this was from the nearest hospital/doctors office...there are beds right by the doors in hospitals here that are available to put babies in...why a box...baby could have died...

A comment under the news article I read said there is a fire station right down the street. I have no way of knowing if it is true but I'm assuming because the poster was upset that the mother dropped her near this preschool rather than the fire station.

BEM: ...and my address :)

I really hope they never find this mother. Cause they (DCFS) are starting to talk how their primary goal is re-unification. Give me a break already.

At least it wasn't a garbage bag in a dumpster.She was making an effort at least.

It was close to pile of trash and could have been mistaken for it and thrown out. In fact the worker was dragging it to another pile of trash and heard a noise coming from the inside. If that guy didn't hear the baby making noise the baby could have been on its way to dumpster.

"The infant was found on Wednesday in a cardboard box in front of a church. The box was dangerously close to a pile of trash bags and a telephone pole."
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/12/abandoned-mystery-baby-noel-miraculously-survives/

It was close to pile of trash and could have been mistaken for it and thrown out. In fact the worker was dragging it to another pile of trash and heard a noise coming from the inside. If that guy didn't hear the baby making noise the baby could have been on its way to dumpster.

"The infant was found on Wednesday in a cardboard box in front of a church. The box was dangerously close to a pile of trash bags and a telephone pole."
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/12/abandoned-mystery-baby-noel-miraculously-survives/

Not that it makes much of a difference but this adorable infant was not found in front of the Church. Mr. Keller works for a Church who owns properties on that block. He did knock on the door of the Daycare to be told it was not one of their babies.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-12-22/news/30547229_1_umbilical-cord-mcfadden-baby-in-good-condition

jjenny, I think this may be one of the first times I agree with you, LOL. I'm all for putting a family back together when it is better for the kids and the parents. This woman left her baby in a cardboard box, perilously close to a trash bin. It seems to me that she made a back up plan to get rid of the body and just in case the cold didn't finish little one off, the compactor would. Stray cats do much better than that. There's no bond there, there's no best interest of the child being considered, the word reunification shouldn't even be uttered when a mother makes a choice like that.

I really hope they never find this mother. Cause they (DCFS) are starting to talk how their primary goal is re-unification. Give me a break already.

Sad but apparently true. There is an ongoing custody case in the Chicago suburbs about a mother who abandoned her son, discarded him in some bushes behind a garage in 2009, who has been fighting to regain custody of him.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20111215/news/712159652/

(There are several more articles found under bio moms name.)

Any parent who discards a newborn to die, should not ever be given a second chance. It amazes me this case in Wheaton, IL is still on going without resolution.

I like the safe haven laws-I just wish more girls knew about them. I know they cover sex Ed in many schools but I don't know that this is covered. My daughter is 19 and knows about it because she follows these cases, but says it was not mentioned in school.
I can imagine many parents would not want this covered, for whatever reason. But the REALITY is that these girls/women are having these babies and dumping them. My daughter said that if it happened to her she would definitely take advantage of this law if she was someone who really had no emotional support from anyone or if she was afraid of her parents.
The alternative is so much worse-a dead baby and a young girls life ruined.
I known there are those who think teaching abstinence is a great idea, but in most of these cases we are talking about kids. It isn't realistic. Kids are impulsive by nature and can't yet 'see around corners'. I just don't get why some parents can't see this.
This link is very interesting-Infanticide cases from England from the 1600's to 1900.
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/sear...00&ref=&submit.x=26&submit.y=22&submit=Search
Just to show these things have been happening forever-even when premarital sex was MUCH more frowned upon(to put it mildly)than it is today. Yet it still happened.

Pretty phreakin phabulous IMO.

Kiesha Browning was paying it forward and decided to throw a baby shower for baby Noel. Browning who had the Blessing of having someone pay off her layaway and hitting a school raffle for $250.00 decided to throw a shower for lil Noel.

People came not only from the neighborhood, but from across the city and even as far as Wildwood, New Jersey. Cakes were donated. Photography was donated.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=8483962

Filly don't tear up too easily anymore, but when I heard this last night and read it I got all misty eyed. We do have some phenomenal people here in Philly. Plus Noel has brought Blessings to more children as she's been receiving so much that other children at DHS will benefit from the kindness of strangers.

That baby is too A-DOR-ABLE!

Thanks to Ms. Browning and all the other kind souls out there that care.

Why would someone leave a newborn on the street in a box when there are Safe Haven laws?

There's the million dollar question.

Please know I am not condoning anyone dumping a newborn in a box by trash. I'm just asking why? Why?

We do not know if this is a young mother. We don't even know if it's the mother who left the baby. This can be any female who for a number of reasons left this baby discarded or someone else did. Cultural beliefs? Frightened? Addict? Or just some callous wench who had no need for no infant? I do not believe whoever left this baby there wanted it dead. God forbid that would have been easy enough to do before leaving her.

Thank goodness this turned out like it did. Miraculous. Now where's the person who delivered this gorgeous little girl?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back