GUILTY New Zealand - Raurangi Marino for brutal rape of 5yo girl, Turangi, 2011

vlpate

Reaction score
Five-year-old attacked at holiday park

http://news.msn.co.nz/nationalnews/8393709/five-year-old-attacked-at-holiday-park

A policeman investigating a sexually-motivated attack on a five-year-old girl in Turangi says it is one of the worst assaults he has ever seen.
The girl suffered serious injuries to her head and face in the attack at the Club Habitat holiday park on Wednesday night.

The girl is on holiday in New Zealand with her parents and three-year-old brother, who are from Europe.

A man entered the family's caravan where the girl and her brother were sleeping, while their parents were using a computer in a nearby amenities block for about half an hour.

The girl's mother returned to the caravan about 10.40pm, finding it locked, and she saw a man on top of her daughter through the window.

She ran screaming to get her husband and when they returned the caravan door was open and the man was gone.

I hope they catch this sick individual before he strikes again. Five years old, I don't need to be told how horrible her injuries are, I can imagine. Prayers for her recovery.

No words... :cry: :cry:

dear god, that poor baby

This individual needs to be taken off the street never to be returned. There's no humanity there and therefore should be removed....and yet, I would bet my next two paychecks he's been arrested for child related criminal charges before.

...Hamilton Zoo, Raglan and Te Awamutu.

"If anyone suspected who we were, they didn't say anything.
You had such respect for our privacy."

http://news.msn.co.nz/nationalnews/8397093/turangi-attack-victim-resumes-holiday

What am I missing?
Why would someone "suspect who they were?"
It's a 5 year old girl... at a zoo with her 3 year old brother and parents?

I don't think there was anything released that would be further identifying about the family... not even where in Europe they were from.
I must be missing something... maybe this is a very small zoo, or there are very few tourists?

This individual needs to be taken off the street never to be returned. There's no humanity there and therefore should be removed....and yet, I would bet my next two paychecks he's been arrested for child related criminal charges before.

I would've thought you'd win that bet, here's a twist: he's 16 years old....

Raurangi Marino's mother admits she failed her son and is responsible for a crime so horrific it sent shockwaves around the world.

"I didn't safeguard my children, and I didn't apply myself to looking after them," Lavinia Wall said yesterday.

Marino, 16, crept into a 5-year-old girl's Turangi holiday park caravan and viciously raped the girl four days before Christmas after bingeing on booze and cannabis.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/6502905/Turangi-child-rapists-mum-admits-failure

The father of convicted child rapist Raurangi Marino is in police custody charged with assaulting his partner.

He was arrested yesterday – a day after his son was jailed for 10 years for a brutal attack on a 5-year-old girl.

Mark Marino, 47, appeared in Taupo District Court yesterday charged with injuring with intent to injure his partner on January 28.

He entered no plea and was remanded in custody till his next appearance later this month when counsel will be assigned to the case.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/6509740/Turangi-rapists-dad-held-on-assault-charge

The 16-year-old who raped a five-year-old girl tourist at a Turangi campground in a high-profile attack has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Raurangi Marino was sentenced in the Rotorua District Court, rather than Youth Court, because of the seriousness of the attack, which put the girl in hospital for nearly a week.

Marino was jailed for 10 years for rape, seven for grievous bodily harm and two years for burglary. The terms were to be served concurrently.

http://www.3news.co.nz/10-years-for-Turangi-campground-rapist/tabid/423/articleID/244571/Default.aspx

Maximum sentence was 20 years.

It irks me that with such a light sentence, he will be eligible for parole after serving a third. That is wrong. That little girl was very seriously injured.

Im trying to find something positive in this deeply disturbing crime.

Why he didn't receive the maximum sentence of 20 years is beyond me!

I'm amazed by this:

Raurangi Marino's mother admits she failed her son and is responsible for a crime so horrific it sent shockwaves around the world.

"I didn't safeguard my children, and I didn't apply myself to looking after them," Lavinia Wall said yesterday.

Ms Wall, a former Black Power associate, said her son endured regular beatings at home.

"I wanted it to stop but I couldn't because I was a hard-out alcoholic and it was the family versus me."

She described Marino as a "good boy, a little naughty. He was just brought up too quick, too young, he got into drugs and alcohol too early. I take a lot of responsibility of what happened, and for his upbringing."

The family was angry at her, she said.

"They call me a bad mother and [say] I have brought up horrible children. I'm deeply sorry for the little girl's family, she will go through trauma for the rest of her life."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/6502905/Turangi-child-rapists-mum-admits-failure

It is not often we have parents of criminals accept some responsibility and express remorse for the victims and their loved ones.

I sure hope the parents of the little girl had good medical insurance that covered her while in another country. The horrible attack and the girl's injuries were bad enough without her parents having to pay a high medical bill for her treatment. The girl may need psychological counseling too for many years. When my daughter was molested and the perp got a felony conviction, my daughter wasn't disturbed by it the most right after it happened. When it hit her the most was years later when she realized how the man had taken advantage of her and used her for his own benefit. Then she was angry.

Im trying to find something positive in this deeply disturbing crime.

Why he didn't receive the maximum sentence of 20 years is beyond me!

I'm amazed by this:

It is not often we have parents of criminals accept some responsibility and express remorse for the victims and their loved ones.

IIRC Both of his parents spoke up apologizing for their son's heinous crime. I guess from what I read they weren't model parents but IMO their admission counts for something.

"He was a nice guy, he was always laughing," one friend told the New Zealand Herald. "Everyone could get along with him... Occasionally he'll have huffies with other people but it was nothing serious.
"Everyone I know, all the boys, everyone was like, that ain't him, there is no way he would do something like that."

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Turangi-atta...3/articleID/239870/Default.aspx#ixzz1o2qDZCsF

Doesn't sound like the kid damaged by lousy parenting and failed by the state to get him treatment.

<<SNIPPED>>Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Judge-slams-...3/articleID/244659/Default.aspx#ixzz1o4IKwEpZ

With his mother in the public gallery but his father absent, Judge Cooper criticised Marino's whanau for an upbringing that led him to commit such an "appalling and sickening" crime.

He noted Marino grew up in a dysfunctional, negative environment where drugs and alcohol were freely available. Without rehabilitation Marino was deemed to be at a high risk of reoffending.

But then he sentenced RM to serve his time concurrently rather than consecutively. He could've been sentenced to 20 years for the rape but instead Judge Phillip Cooper sentenced him to 10 years imprisonment for rape, four years for grievous bodily harm and two years on the burglary charge.

Judge Philip Cooper, IMO you did the victim, the perp and the community a huge disservice.

Marino, 16, crept into a 5-year-old girl's Turangi holiday park caravan and viciously raped the girl four days before Christmas after bingeing on booze and cannabis.

With his mother in the public gallery but his father absent, Judge Cooper criticised Marino's whanau for an upbringing that led him to commit such an "appalling and sickening" crime.

He noted Marino grew up in a dysfunctional, negative environment where drugs and alcohol were freely available.
Without rehabilitation Marino was deemed to be at a high risk of reoffending.

Marino had drunk 20-30 bottles of beer, assorted RTDs, and smoked cannabis
, throughout the eight-10 hours before he attacked the girl.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Judge-slams-...3/articleID/244659/Default.aspx#ixzz1o5B56ZEu

You know... I totally get that upbringing has a lot to do with things. In some cases I say "that kid was just doomed from the start."

However... this kid didn't do what was done to him. He didn't beat his own children. He didn't neglect or give drugs to his own children.

There was a boy there in that trailer too. Yet he raped a little girl. He chose the girl over the boy. That's a preference, not bad upbringing.

This guy had a childhood much like my brother's. But it didn't make him do this. The alcohol and weed certainly didn't make him do this.

Claiming it did implies that getting therapy and staying sober will prevent this guy from re-offending again. I have a hard time believing that.

Of course the Judge didn't give him the maximum. He thinks he just needs some therapy and substance abuse treatment... and he'll be cool...

He noted Marino grew up in a dysfunctional, negative environment where drugs and alcohol were freely available.
Without rehabilitation Marino was deemed to be at a high risk of reoffending.

Marino had drunk 20-30 bottles of beer, assorted RTDs, and smoked cannabis
, throughout the eight-10 hours before he attacked the girl.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Judge-slams-...3/articleID/244659/Default.aspx#ixzz1o5B56ZEu

You know... I totally get that upbringing has a lot to do with things. In some cases I say "that kid was just doomed from the start."

However... this kid didn't do what was done to him. He didn't beat his own children. He didn't neglect or give drugs to his own children.

There was a boy there in that trailer too. Yet he raped a little girl. He chose the girl over the boy. That's a preference, not bad upbringing.

This guy had a childhood much like my brother's. But it didn't make him do this. The alcohol and weed certainly didn't make him do this.

Claiming it did implies that getting therapy and staying sober will prevent this guy from re-offending again. I have a hard time believing that.

Of course the Judge didn't give him the maximum. He thinks he just needs some therapy and substance abuse treatment... and he'll be cool...

Great post...and to that ^^(I mean the judge) I call BS and say kiss my *advertiser censored**. This man is a pedophile and therapy will not cure him and jail will not rehabilitate him. Pot and alcohol did not make him rape that precious babygirl. His sick and perverted spirit did that...the alcohol only lowered his inhibitions...bad upbringing does not always cause one to abuse children. My Dad was a pervert and I have 5 happy, well adjusted, much loved adult children. The only thing my upbringing did was make me love them more and hold them a little tighter because I know first hand the evil that lurks in the heart of man. (and woman)

I sure hope the parents of the little girl had good medical insurance that covered her while in another country. The horrible attack and the girl's injuries were bad enough without her parents having to pay a high medical bill for her treatment. The girl may need psychological counseling too for many years. When my daughter was molested and the perp got a felony conviction, my daughter wasn't disturbed by it the most right after it happened. When it hit her the most was years later when she realized how the man had taken advantage of her and used her for his own benefit. Then she was angry.

If I remember correctly, the girl was Belgian, so they would be covered under the health insurance that all Belgians have. If they had taken out extra travel insurance (which I know many people in Belgium do when they travel outside Europe), there would have been some sort of cover. Of course there is an excess that they will have to cover themselves, but depending on the insurance they have, it will be manageable. I also read that the people of NZ collected for them.

A teenager who raped and assaulted a 5-year-old girl at a Turangi campground has been granted parole... Marino, whose father was a Mongrel Mob member, was sentenced to 10 years' prison but would now be released after serving 7 of those years... Marino's release comes with a list of 16 conditions, one which will see him attend a monitoring hearing in February next year to see how he has fared on parole.
Teen who raped 5-year-old to be paroled, with conditions, after serving 7 of 10 year sentence

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back