Deadly Connecticut Fire Started by Ashes Removed for Santa

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/03...#ixzz1iSTFsRDA


NEW HAVEN, Conn. – "Smoldering embers blamed for a Christmas morning house fire that killed three girls and their grandparents had been taken out of a fireplace so the children would not worry about Santa Claus coming down the chimney, two officials told The Associated Press Tuesday."

"Two officials briefed on the investigation say the ashes were removed out of concerns for Santa. They spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Tuesday because the investigation is still under way."

"Authorities say embers in a bag of discarded ashes started the blaze in Stamford that killed 10-year-old Lilly and 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah Badger and their grandparents, Lomer and Pauline Johnson."

"The girls' mother, Madonna Badger, escaped the fire along with a friend, Michael Borcina. Borcina and Badger were treated at a local hospital and released."

"Fire officials have said Borcina is believed to have placed the ashes in or outside an entryway, near the trash."