CT - Five die in Stamford Christmas Day fire 2011.12.25

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Mayor: House fire kills 5 in Stamford, Conn. (AP/kansascity.com)
Authorities say fire broke out in a home in Stamford, Conn., on Christmas morning, killing five people.

Mayor Michael Pavia says the victims are two adults and three children. Their names have not been released.

The fire broke out shortly before 5 a.m. Sunday. Acting Fire Chief Antonio Conte says the cause has not been determined.

A neighbor, Sam Cingari Jr., says he was awakened by the sound of screaming. He says the house was entirely engulfed by flames.

Cingari says he does not know his neighbors, who he says bought the house last year and were renovating it.
---
a bit more at link above

I remember a Christmas Eve Day fire in my small southeast KS hometown which killed eight, a couple blocks from my house. Wow, worst Christmas ever, that was - over 40 years ago now. And the house wasn't badly damaged - all died from smoke inhalation.

omg. what would've caused it? tree lights? electrical problem?

I remember a Christmas Eve Day fire in my small southeast KS hometown which killed eight, a couple blocks from my house. Wow, worst Christmas ever, that was - over 40 years ago now. And the house wasn't badly damaged - all died from smoke inhalation.

Eight people killed on Christmas Eve? That's really horrible. :( Most people rarely burn to death in a fire.

Five killed on Christmas Day fire is really horrible.
:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

Eight people killed on Christmas Eve? That's really horrible. :( Most people rarely burn to death in a fire.
Yep. It made the national news back then, which, to a little kid in a little podunk town, was quite impressive. Television consisted of three networks. We got two channels. One carried the story.

Yep. It made the national news back then, which, to a little kid in a little podunk town, was quite impressive. Television consisted of three networks. We got two channels. One carried the story.

Eight people being killed in a fire would be national news.

So very sad, and yet typical. Seems every Christmas we hear of a house fire.
Overloaded outlets, presents too close to a heat source, old christmas lighting with fagil cords. People really need to be educated on what to look for, and how to avoid such things. Our prayers go out to the families.

May their souls meet the newborn Christ today in person, and may that same Jesus comfort friends and family left behind, in His Holy Name I pray, amen.

Two Escape as House Fire Kills Five in Stamford, Conn. (New York Times)
STAMFORD, Conn. — Five members of the family of a well-known advertising executive died here early Sunday morning when fire destroyed their three-story Victorian house in an upscale neighborhood overlooking Long Island Sound.

Property records show the house was owned by the executive, Madonna Badger, 47; Ms. Badger managed to flee from the house, screaming for help, along with a man, according to neighbors who were awakened by the fire.

But Ms. Badger’s three daughters, all under the age of 10, died in the pre-dawn blaze, according to a relative who spoke on condition of anonymity because family members had yet not arrived in Stamford. The identities of the two adults who died were not disclosed, but the relative said they were Ms. Badger’s parents.
---
“My whole life is in that house,” Ms. Badger shouted repeatedly, as she was led away from her home by firefighters, according to a neighbor, Charles Mangano, who said he was 15 feet away from her.
---
more at NYT link above

This is no ordinary house. It is a 3 story Victorian overlooking Long Island Sound. Records show that Mrs. Badger paid $1.725 million for it in December of 2010. She is also in the process of divorcing her husband.

If you haven't clicked on the NYT link yet, take a look. There is a very good picture...the fire was catastrophic. I can't imagine anyone living in a wood home of such value without an excellent fire detection system and a plan of action to get everyone out in case of fire, even if they had to go out the window!

I would have thought that any mother of small children would have been screaming about her kids and her parents being trapped inside the burning house. The quote, " My whole life is in there!", seems a bit materialistic to me, but maybe she was referring to her family as "her life".

I will be interested to see how this one turns out...could be an angry soon-to-be-ex, financial problems, property disputes or custody issues on the part of either the husband or the wife. I hope it really is just a tragic accident! :twocents:

This article has more details (which appear to be quite different from what Daily Mail article claims). The husband apparently was in New York city. The male in the house was a contractor who according to the police was doing work on the house.

"Guzda said the male acquaintance was a contractor who was doing work on the home. Badger, an ad executive in the fashion industry, is the founder of Badger & Winters Group. A supervisor at Stamford Hospital said she was treated and discharged."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/2...cut-house-fire/?test=latestnews#ixzz1hbcf2By6

My heart breaks for this family to have suffered such a devastating loss.
I told my teen age daughter about it and she just said "I guess we have nothing to complain about, do we?"

There are no words. I just can't imagine how this poor woman will cope after a tragedy like this. I know I'd probably want to be dead after losing my parents and 3 little ones. May God give her the strength to carry on.

Heartbreaking :cry:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back