Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: CT - Five die in Stamford Christmas Day fire 2011.12.25

The container might have been metal and rusted. Maybe an hot ember popped out? If the container was smoldering, then why place it on the foyer floor? A contractor didn't know that this was a dangerous thing?

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JusticeMustPrevail For This Useful Post:

Fireplace Blamed for Deadly Connecticut House Fire
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/27...-safety-chief/

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeMustPrevail View Post
    The container might have been metal and rusted. Maybe an hot ember popped out? If the container was smoldering, then why place it on the foyer floor? A contractor didn't know that this was a dangerous thing?

I can't think of one good reason to leave the bucket of embers inside the house. I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather, and even I would have carried it outside and set it on a non-flammable surface like a driveway or a patio.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TGIRecovered For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by krimekat View Post
    Yule Log Embers Blamed For Fire That Killed Madonna Badger’s Three Kids And Her Parents
    They apparently then loaded the embers from the fireplace into a bucket and left it in the foyer before going to bed, an emergency worker told The New York Daily News.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...nd-her-parents
    ~ krimekat ~
    Live in Peace & Peace will live in you

++++++++++++
    Forum Information & Esoterica

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krimekat For This Useful Post:

How did the embers fly out of the bucket on their own?
    ~*~ Justice for Caylee ~*~

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    I can't think of one good reason to leave the bucket of embers inside the house. I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather, and even I would have carried it outside and set it on a non-flammable surface like a driveway or a patio.
    You need to dampen them even if you put them outside. But don't put water directly into the fireplace.
    Last edited by jjenny; 12-27-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Just my opinion

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyandBella View Post
    How did the embers fly out of the bucket on their own?
    Ever heard of sparks?
    Just my opinion

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

First let me say I send prayers to this woman; how does one survive loosing their parents and their children? Doing so on Christmas makes it worse imoo.

I imagine the embers popped or sparked and started the fire. imoo

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to billisbobby For This Useful Post:

911 call was released . . .
    ~ krimekat ~
    Live in Peace & Peace will live in you

++++++++++++
    Forum Information & Esoterica

Fire was caused by embers not properly disposed. Might have not even been in a bucket, but in a bag. Poor grandpa died trying to save one of the granddaughters.

"Sometime after 3 a.m., embers from the fire place were put into a bag, which was placed in the rear of the house, either by a mudroom or trash area, Callahan said. He added that from the initial investigation, the fire appears to have been “accidental in nature.” "
    http://www.thedailystamford.com/news...stmas-day-fire
    Just my opinion

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TGIRecovered View Post
    Agree. Also, I can't imagine not dousing it with water. Since they were wrapping presents by the fireplace approximately 3:00am, it certainly hadn't even cooled off by the time they went to bed. And sadly, tragedy occurred.

Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

20. The Following User Says Thank You to panthera For This Useful Post:

http://www.thedailystamford.com/opin...agedy-stamford

some articles should never be written, let alone actually published. wow.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to doubt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by doubt View Post

Very poor taste. I agree with the comments. That article needs removed.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to angela For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by angela View Post
    Very poor taste. I agree with the comments. That article needs removed.
    I don't really understand. I agree the article isn't Pulitzer material, but the writer does conclude that he was lucky to "have to" work on Christmas while watching his healthy child, that compared to the victims he had nothing to complain about.

He's competing with national and international news outlets, so he decided to focus on the "local angle", that of being a local reporter called out of bed on Christmas morning to cover a local tragedy.

Still not great literature, but I'm not sure why it needs to be censored.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by panthera View Post
    Agree. Also, I can't imagine not dousing it with water. Since they were wrapping presents by the fireplace approximately 3:00am, it certainly hadn't even cooled off by the time they went to bed. And sadly, tragedy occurred.

Unfortunately people do things like that day in and day out. My neighbor's house burned down by a candle. Which shouldn't be left un-attended but obviously people do leave the candles un-attended all the time.
    Just my opinion

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

i hope everyone who reads about this tragedy checks their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, buys a safety ladder or two if they have multiple floors, and develops a fire safety plan.

honestly, i can't help but think that "there, but for the grace of god, go i."

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to doubt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I don't really understand. I agree the article isn't Pulitzer material, but the writer does conclude that he was lucky to "have to" work on Christmas while watching his healthy child, that compared to the victims he had nothing to complain about.

He's competing with national and international news outlets, so he decided to focus on the "local angle", that of being a local reporter called out of bed on Christmas morning to cover a local tragedy.

Still not great literature, but I'm not sure why it needs to be censored.
    i don't believe in censorship so for me, it's out there and the kid needs to suck it up and deal with whatever backlash it brings him. perhaps he'll mature through the process and come out with a stronger piece. then again, many a writer has zero business attempting to pen an editorial.

just out of curiosity, if he'd written the same words in the immediate aftermath of the petite family murders, would that make any difference?

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doubt For This Useful Post:

Firefighters offered counseling after deadly fire

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...1_UNEWS&page=1

A Christmas morning fire that killed a couple and three of their grandchildren was devastating to firefighters who rushed into the engulfed home twice frantically looking for the victims before they were beaten back by the flames.

Stamford officials were offering counseling to the firefighters.

Article has a lot of information on what happened and more about the contractor.

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by doubt View Post

OMG - that guy should be FIRED stat. So there's an article with HIS picture prominently placed on the cover (not the victims), and him harping on and on about how his Christmas was ruined because of the fire.

I want to vomit. Some people.....

MOO

Mel

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Melanie For This Useful Post:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...t_comments_tab
    This NY Daily News article includes an interview with the contractor. Maybe he's still in shock but the way he underplays this horrific tragedy is odd. Also, I'm not sure when the picture was taken (before or after the fire) but if it was taken after, then I'm kind of speechless that he could smile.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Katrinka For This Useful Post:

I am confident the photo is before the tragedy. He has just been released from the hospital (with a knee injury) so I really doubt he is standing up smiling in front of some large buildings for this interview.
    Just my opinion

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

jjenny, I'm guessing you're right. It's irresponsible journalism to not make a note that the picture is "file" or previously taken.

Hi, I was born and raised in Stamford and still reside here. My husband is also a 17 yr Stamford firefighter who was supposed to be on duty 12/24, but is on medical leave due to hip surgery. He has spoken to many in the department and this looks like just a tragic accident. We do wonder why someone would empty out the embers around 3am and put them in a bag and leave them near the home. I have a fireplace and have never emptied it out while it was still hot or even warm. Why not just let it smoulder? Many on the department are wondering whether alcohol played into this because of the late hour.

BTW, I am getting the timeline from The Stamford Advocate. I have never heard of the The Daily Stamford.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/loca...609.php#page-1

43. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jamiect For This Useful Post:

Embers are supposed to be dampened before disposal.
    At first news reports were saying embers were in a bucket, now they are saying they were in a bag-which makes even less sense. I don't think it was done on purpose but fireplace safety rules were apparently not followed.
    Just my opinion

45. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jamiect View Post
    Hi, I was born and raised in Stamford and still reside here. My husband is also a 17 yr Stamford firefighter who was supposed to be on duty 12/24, but is on medical leave due to hip surgery. He has spoken to many in the department and this looks like just a tragic accident. We do wonder why someone would empty out the embers around 3am and put them in a bag and leave them near the home. I have a fireplace and have never emptied it out while it was still hot or even warm. Why not just let it smoulder? Many on the department are wondering whether alcohol played into this because of the late hour.

BTW, I am getting the timeline from The Stamford Advocate. I have never heard of the The Daily Stamford.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/loca...609.php#page-1
    Thank you Jamiect for sharing this insight. Please also give your husband our gratitude for the work he does. May he have a smooth recovery from his hip surgery.
    One person can make a difference, and everyone should try.
    John F. Kennedy

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CocoChanel For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast