Sex: Female
Race: White
Hair: Black
Eyes: Hazel
Height: 5'7" (170 cm)
Weight: 90 lbs (41 kg)
Non-Family Abduction
Missing From: BEDFORD, IA, United States

Colleen was last seen at home where she disappeared during the night. She has a scar on her right forearm.

Taylor County Sheriff's Office (Iowa) - Missing Persons Unit 1-712-523-2153

LINK
http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

I wonder how much attention this case received in 1975. I grew up in Lenox, Iowa which is about 25-30 minutes from Bedford. My grandfather was on member of the Taylor County Sherriff's posse and he doesn't remember the case or Collen's name at all, neither does my grandma. Really in my opinion unusual, especially since my grandpa remembers everything that ever happened-his memory is scary good. Next time I go back to Lenox I'm going to try to look up the newspaper archives and see what was written.

Bedford is tiny-Bedford has about 1,600 people and it's the county seat. In the whole of Taylor County their's only like 7,000. In recent years the Hispanic population has increased but in 1975 it was very much white, farmer type people. Everyone knew everyone. It just makes me wonder why this girl has nothing out there.

Becca

October 5th of this year will mark 35 years since Colleen disappeared. I wish there was more information available about her and the case.

--------------------------------

Colleen Vanita Simpson

Missing since October 5, 1975 from Bedford, Taylor County, Iowa.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: December 5, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7; 90 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Black hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Moon-shaped scar just below her elbow on her right forearm and a mole on the left side of chin.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Simpson was last seen at her family's home in Bedford, Iowa on October 5, 1975. She disappeared sometime during the overnight hours.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning Simpson's whereabouts, please contact:

Taylor County Sheriff's Office
Missing Persons Unit
712-523-2153
or
Email: mpicinfo@dps.state.ia.us

All information may be submitted anonymously.

NCMEC #: NCMC601905

NCIC Number: M-184789907

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Iowa Missing Persons' Clearinghouse
The Doe Network: Case File 362DFIA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/362dfia.html

Bump

Next month will mark 35 years that Colleen has been missing. Come home soon sweetie.

Bumping case up. It has been two years since the last post. October 5th will mark 37 years since Colleen Vanita Simpson went missing.

I happened to run across Colleen Simpson's missing report while web browsing today and this is the first I've ever heard of this case.

I am shocked that I just learned about this because I grew up in Bedford, and graduated from Bedford High School. I was born one year earlier than her so she most likely would have been one year behind me in school. I was a junior when she went missing.

The town was small (still is). Everybody knows everyone, even from the surrounding small towns. Bedford consolidated schools around 1970, so kids from the tiny towns close by attended school "in" Bedford.

So it boggles my mind that I never heard about Colleen Simpson, never knew a girl by that name in all the years growing up. And a Colleen Simpson did not attend my school. This is so weird, not to mention very sad.

Without a doubt, with Bedford being so small and myself living there since I went into the third grade and graduated high school there..... this would have been a big deal if people knew about it, and something still to this day, not forgotten. In a small town, happenings never die! They just don't, not in Bedford anyway.

I hope and pray that one day Colleen will be found, and justice will be served.

:bump:

I came across this case while browsing Iowa Cold Cases.

I think it's very possible she snuck out to meet someone and that someone lead to her demise, whether it was an accident or intentional. That's what happened to Skylar Neese.

Fortunately for Skylar, there was video footage of her leaving. Unfortunately for Colleen this is not the case.

As with all of you, I'm so surprised by the lack of interest or publicity with this case, especially with it happening in a small town and her father being a policeman.

I hope he's close to finding out what happened to his daughter. :(

It does seem strange sometimes when one case is all over the news for months or even years, while others remain quietly filed away somewhere. All of these missing person cases deserve wide distribution and attention.

Unfortunately, in some cases there just isn't much information available. Other times, a missing person just does not have a strong advocate or family member to put out the information which is available. Police and cold case officers sometimes release information to the public. Just as often, however, police departments keep everything under tight wraps as general policy - perhaps on the belief that they might compromise their investigation by revealing information about the case.

It does help, I think, to publicize those cases which have been Solved, along with their particulars and bits of information. Sometimes a match or a close association can be made between a solved case and an unsolved one when investigators can look at all the possibilities.

I was looking at her teeth (from the photo) compared to Carbon County Beth Doe but, in my amateur opinion, it doesn't look similar.

That kicked out tooth should make her a little easier to ID if the doe's teeth are represented.

Hm. Her friend said she disappeared from an out of town function. I wonder what kind of function and in what town? I know nothing at all about Iowa but maybe if we knew that info it would give us some clues, something to work with.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back