Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Rash of arson fires continues, spreads across wider area

Most of the blazes were started on automobiles, but some spread to homes and apartments. The attacks ranged from the Westside to Hollywood and from the San Fernando Valley south to Lennox. By Saturday night, the Los Angeles police and fire departments were leading a multi-agency campaign across the county.

more at link .......................... http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2353473.story

This is getting really scary. Someone is going to get killed.

JMHO
    fran

PS.... I don't know what article it was, but I saw where sterno was suspected in some of the cases. One couple was alerted their car was on fire out in the street, and when he looked out his car was on fire under the hood. But it quickly engulfed the entire vehicle and the tires exploded, both front and back....fran

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fran For This Useful Post:

Have there been recent budget cuts or any political controversies in this area regarding the fire departments of these municipalities? Just wondering if these fires are a statement by someone or someones.
    One person can make a difference, and everyone should try.
    John F. Kennedy

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CocoChanel For This Useful Post:

As I stated last night, there has to be a more powerful accelerant than common grade gasoline, and I think the perp(s) have planned their attack areas well to get this far. I'm thinking a mentally disturbed (obviously) person with a grudge (real or imagined) on the people and or politics of the area. Look for rants in social media pertaining to this area over the past year and I think we'll find our perp(s).
    Last edited by Dewey2Me1MoThyme; 01-01-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Anything worth dewing, is worth dewing well!
    Proud parent of 3 rescued schnauzers

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dewey2Me1MoThyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CocoChanel View Post
    Have there been recent budget cuts or any political controversies in this area regarding the fire departments of these municipalities? Just wondering if these fires are a statement by someone or someones.
    Someone disgruntled about a building permit beef?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dewey2Me1MoThyme For This Useful Post:

There is no "I" in "team." but there are 5 in "narcissistic personality disorder."

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anakerie For This Useful Post:

Officials from what looks like 3 different entities are speaking.. For the most, they are stressing that everyone needs to keep an eye open to what is going on in their neighborhood.. Leave porch lights on, lights on in parking areas, etc. Call 911 if anything suspicious is seen..

Most of the fires have started with car fires, they're not specifying what kind of incendiaries are being used.

The fires are happening in all sorts of situations. Apartment complexes, duplexes, single family homes.. Most have started in the carport areas. Garages are not "exempt"..

Resources are being called on from all over LA area. Including Homeland Security.

Latest count: 39 fires total... 7 last night.

PD is asking for any private security videos in the areas where fires have happened. PD is not ready to release any videos or suspect descriptions yet.

(Still listening to the press conference, the officials are still talking, but in the background you can hear the sirens of equipment rolling out of the station where the press conference is happening.)

They showed a map of the fires.. They are NOT going to publish their map or give a full list of incidents because the map is in use by the investigators. They are trying to validate each and every incident to determine that they are tied to the same M.O. of the arsonist(s).

Video just cut off.. This press conference is over.. They'll notify the media if more information becomes available.
    Last edited by Anakerie; 01-01-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: adding info
    There is no "I" in "team." but there are 5 in "narcissistic personality disorder."

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Anakerie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    Rash of arson fires continues, spreads across wider area

Most of the blazes were started on automobiles, but some spread to homes and apartments. The attacks ranged from the Westside to Hollywood and from the San Fernando Valley south to Lennox. By Saturday night, the Los Angeles police and fire departments were leading a multi-agency campaign across the county.

more at link .......................... http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2353473.story

This is getting really scary. Someone is going to get killed.

JMHO
    fran

PS.... I don't know what article it was, but I saw where sterno was suspected in some of the cases. One couple was alerted their car was on fire out in the street, and when he looked out his car was on fire under the hood. But it quickly engulfed the entire vehicle and the tires exploded, both front and back....fran
    There was a picture I saw somewhere that showed the flames extending from the garage and cars out into the driveway. It was a perfect line on the end. Weird.

Ok I found the pic.
    http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/us/...sons/#slide=13

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    There was a picture I saw somewhere that showed the flames extending from the garage and cars out into the driveway. It was a perfect line on the end. Weird.

Ok I found the pic.
    http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/us/...sons/#slide=13
    Is that tenant escaping using a walker? Wow. That could have been a deadly incident if the firemen were not there on time.

This apt. has the cars parked right underneath in the carport. That is just like my daughter's best friends apt. in West Hollywood. She is now staying at my daughter's apt. in Santa Monica because she is too worried about a fire starting underneath their bedrooms. This whole thing is really frightening. And I am worried that it is copycats carrying it out now.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

The google map has been updated;

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...6&source=embed

Remember though, this is NOT an "official" incident map...

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anakerie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Is that tenant escaping using a walker? Wow. That could have been a deadly incident if the firemen were not there on time.

This apt. has the cars parked right underneath in the carport. That is just like my daughter's best friends apt. in West Hollywood. She is now staying at my daughter's apt. in Santa Monica because she is too worried about a fire starting underneath their bedrooms. This whole thing is really frightening. And I am worried that it is copycats carrying it out now.
    It's not a walker.. It looks like a birdcage on wheels.. Picture 14 shows the guy again;
    http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/us/...sons/#slide=14

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anakerie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post

I think that's a birdcage thingy. However, I've seen plenty of other pics on the net where people in wheelchairs and such needed assistance getting out.

I grew up in the Valley and IMO, it's pure luck that someone hasn't died so far. Especially since like you pointed out, the bedrooms are right above these fires. So frightening.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

L.A. arson wave grows to about 40 fires; most since 1992 riots
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...992-riots.html

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:

Hollywood-area arson fires: Worst in LA in 20 years
    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=8486697

Los Angeles City Fire Capt. Jaime Moore said investigators are returning to every single incident to review similarities and gather as much information as they can.
    Fire officials confirmed as many as six new fires in or around the Hollywood or West Hollywood areas on Saturday night, starting shortly before 6 p.m. That brings the total to 40 reported fires spanning from early Friday morning to late Saturday night - 19 on Saturday and 21 on Friday

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anakerie For This Useful Post:

I just had a flash back to a very old case where a man was turned down several times because he did not score well on the tests to become a fireman, and also had some mental issues that would have been enough alone to not qualify him.

I'm not believing too much into the copycat theme, although one or two may be, I think this is a very disturbed, middle age man, who either has a gripe with the city politicians and or FD. He'll be of above average IQ, and most likely have some sort of either LE school, or military background. He is probably more of a loner type individual with few friends, single / divorced or widowed. He'll have a good education and is very vocal about his political views.

Neigbours will say he was a very quiet person and not one to socialize. If he was in the military he most likely had a dishonourable discharge.
    I also suspect he will soon taunt police via MSM or letters that sound more like the rant of a madman than a confession. No I'm not a professional profiler, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

28. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dewey2Me1MoThyme For This Useful Post:

Just from looking at this interactive map, it appears the major cluster of fires could possibly have been set by the same person. The fires further out could be the work of copycats, imho.

I pray they catch these people. Someone is going to get hurt, and, or, die.

JMHO
    fran

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/feature?...cal&id=8486086

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fran For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast