States That Legalized Medical Marijuana Saw Fewer Traffic Deaths, Study Says

Not surprising at all. Alcohol abuse has all but vanished from our society, at least compared with what it once was. The easy (if illegal) availability of a less harmful and less impairing option has played a huge role, I'm sure.

The safer recreational drugs will never be legalized in North America (heck, it took about fifteen generations just to outlaw slavery and five more generations before blacks could even vote in the country). Legalization might give citizens the impression that they own their own minds and bodies, and the 1% will not tolerate that.

It could also be that people aren't traveling to see dealers and getting high with them before leaving. I also agree with those that say more study needs to be done to confirm this.

Anyway, I see no reason it shouldn't be legalized. Prohibition doesn't work. I think all of the drugs that aren't physically addicting should be legalized and taxed. JMO

I've always been against medical
marijuana until the past year.

I guess I really never understood all the benefits until I started researching when my BIL was diagnosed with stage IV colorectal cancer.

I spent hours/days/weeks at the computer looking for ANYTHING that would give me/him hope.

I stumbled across a doctor in Texas that swears Hemp Oil (the real thing, not the useless stuff they sell in stores) not only slows cancer growth, but can kill cancer cells. It's more effective for some cancers than others.

Colon cancer was on top of the list!

So, now keep in mind, I've never touched marijuana AT ALL. But little old me was digging up YouTube videos on how to make the oil in a crock pot!

I was DETERMINED to make D a big ole batch but had no clue where to even get the marijuana to begin with.

I was obsessed.

I talked to my SIL about it and she said D "may have" gotten some from somebody else already.

Long story short, D was given 2 weeks to live months ago. He's taking pretty strong chemo and "may" be enjoying the occasional brownie.

His latest pet scan showed NO GROWTH of his previous very aggressive fast growing cancer!

Maybe it's just the chemo????
Maybe not!

I say give these cancer sufferers ANYTHING that may help.

JMO

I guess I really never understood all the benefits until I started researching when my BIL was diagnosed with stage IV colorectal cancer.

I spent hours/days/weeks at the computer looking for ANYTHING that would give me/him hope.

I stumbled across a doctor in Texas that swears Hemp Oil (the real thing, not the useless stuff they sell in stores) not only slows cancer growth, but can kill cancer cells. It's more effective for some cancers than others.

So, now keep in mind, I've never touched marijuana AT ALL. But little old me was digging up YouTube videos on how to make the oil in a crock pot!

I was DETERMINED to make D a big ole batch but had no clue where to even get the marijuana to begin with.

I was obsessed.

I talked to my SIL about it and she said D "may have" gotten some from somebody else already.

Long story short, D was given 2 weeks to live months ago. He's taking pretty strong chemo and "may" be enjoying the occasional brownie.

His latest pet scan showed NO GROWTH of his previous very aggressive fast growing cancer!

Maybe not!

JMO

Since I've gone through chemo I think I can shed some light on this.

The worst part of chemo is the nauseousness and inability to keep food down. Doctors and nurses start to freak out if you start losing weight. MJ is notoriously known for giving someone "The Munchies". So from that angle alone it should be legal for medical reasons at least.

Don't ask for a link because I don't have one, but I recall seeing one of those newsline type shows on medical MJ. They interviewed the father of a kid who at 15 was going through chemo. He said they couldn't get him to eat anything. So the father went out and somehow managed to get some MJ and let his kid smoke it in the car after a chemo treatment. As they're driving home the kid asks if they can stop at Burger King.

There is so much paranoia about MJ and it's almost all just paranoia alone. People call it a gateway drug but I don't know anyone who didn't drink before smoking pot. I've had my share of MJ in my life and while I think I'd have cut down a lot on my early usage in retrospect, it did help me eat through chemo. JMO

Another JMO, is that the people most against legalizing MJ are the one's who've never done it.

Yeah I've often heard smoking pot help with nausea and appetite.

Have you read the studies about ingesting the hemp oil?
It's pretty remarkable.
Some people even say their skin cancer was cured by rubbing it on the cancer spots.

With colon cancer, by ingesting the oil, it passes through the colon so the oil actually has contact with the cancer cells that way.

I agree with your last sentence too.
I've never smoked it and have always been against legalizing it. I still am except for medical use.

It has to do with the THC in the oil.

Google "hemp oil cancer" and take a look!

It's amazing.

Yeah I've often heard smoking pot help with nausea and appetite.

Have you read the studies about ingesting the hemp oil?
It's pretty remarkable.
Some people even say their skin cancer was cured by rubbing it on the cancer spots.

With colon cancer, by ingesting the oil, it passes through the colon so the oil actually has contact with the cancer cells that way.

I agree with your last sentence too.
I've never smoked it and have always been against legalizing it. I still am except for medical use.

BBM

That is interesting. They are making strides every year in cancer treatment. I was fortunate to have B cell lymphoma. (I think it was B cell) and they had just come out with a new drug. It's called Rituxan and the way they described it to me is this; It goes into the body and more or less teaches your immune system to attack abnormal cells (i.e. cancer cells). Normally your body doesn't recognize these cells as bad but the Rituxan somehow guides them to the bad cells. It can only be used with the type of cancer cells I had.

The first time you take it, it's awful. I had the dry heaves for about 20 minutes along with a high fever. After the first time it's ok on subsequent doses. I had chills so bad the nurses had pounds and pounds of blankets on top of me. In about a couple of hours things return to normal but it is absolute hell during that time.

I was obsessed.

Maybe not!

JMO

BBM

One more thing. As I've said many, many times before. Never, ever, ever, ever give up hope. No doctor can tell you how long you have to live. Please add that part of your story to the cancer thread, TIA.

They bring up one thing in the video that sounds conspiratorial, but I'm sure is true. Pharmaceutical companies want no part of MJ research. When I worked at the hospital, I asked several of the pharmacists that I worked with, why no drug company had tried to prove or disprove that MJ works. The answer; there's no money in it for them. All of them said the same thing.

It costs a lot of money to get FDA approval on a drug and because MJ is so readily available there is no financial incentive to conduct studies that would pass FDA scrutiny.

I forget the exact amount of money but my cancer treatments would have cost over $100,000 and a lot of it was the new drug Rituxan. The price may have come down since then but because it was so new at the time it was uber-expensive.

I hate that the government spends so much money fighting the war against mj when they could just decriminalize it or legalize it and tax it and make money off of it. It grows naturally. Nobody ODs on it. It has very beneficial properties to chemo patients and other patients with nausea problems, weight issues, anxiety and chronic pain.

I hate to think that there are people suffering, especially small children on chemo who could be helped by this.

They bring up one thing in the video that sounds conspiratorial, but I'm sure is true. Pharmaceutical companies want no part of MJ research. When I worked at the hospital, I asked several of the pharmacists that I worked with, why no drug company had tried to prove or disprove that MJ works. The answer; there's no money in it for them. All of them said the same thing.

It costs a lot of money to get FDA approval on a drug and because MJ is so readily available there is no financial incentive to conduct studies that would pass FDA scrutiny.

I forget the exact amount of money but my cancer treatments would have cost over $100,000 and a lot of it was the new drug Rituxan. The price may have come down since then but because it was so new at the time it was uber-expensive.

They do this with "orphan" diseases as well. Not enough $$$$$$$$$ for them to bother, no matter how those with the disease suffer. It is all about the dollar.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

http://bible.cc/genesis/1-29.htm

Genesis 1:29

And God said, Behold, I have given you every plant bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, which has seed in its fruit; to you it shall be for food.

I note that that passage doesn't say "every synthetic chemical they can dream up to give you"..........

They do this with "orphan" diseases as well. Not enough $$$$$$$$$ for them to bother, no matter how those with the disease suffer. It is all about the dollar.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

http://bible.cc/genesis/1-29.htm

Genesis 1:29

I note that that passage doesn't say "every synthetic chemical they can dream up to give you"..........

IIRC, the government subsidizes some orphan drugs. They'll give pharmaceutical companies the money to keep making them. However, the companies don't do research into things that won't make them $$$ either. It's really sad.

Not surprising at all. Alcohol abuse has all but vanished from our society, at least compared with what it once was. The easy (if illegal) availability of a less harmful and less impairing option has played a huge role, I'm sure.

Snipped and BBM, Oh my, I wish this was true in the UK, alcoholism is like a cancer in our society and getting worse

My MIL had ALS and wouldn't eat. We gave her some MJ and she ate a whole Long John Silver's meal. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncdukefan
Back