1162 users online (254 members and 908 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020

    IN - Brandon Spangler, 17, fatally shot, Shelby County, 30 Dec 2011

    http://www.freep.com/article/2011123...ght-boy-coyote


    SHELBYVILLE, Ind. -- Authorities say a central Indiana man who allegedly shot and killed a 17-year-old boy from Flushing says he thought the teen was a coyote in a wooded area on his property. .......

    Bagley said he knows Spangler's father and had given him permission to play paintball on his property, but didn't know he and his four children were on his land Friday.


    The boy was home from school....no charges filed yet....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    southwest Indiana
    Posts
    5,005
    I read earlier of an off duty police officer shooting and killing a lady out walking her 2 dogs, thought she was a deer, and now this. Do people no know you don't pull the trigger until you can clearly identify your target. this is basic hunting 101 for Pete's sake.
    Anything worth dewing, is worth dewing well!
    Proud parent of 3 rescued schnauzers

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    942
    How very sad for all involved Definately agree, NO shooting unless you are sure what you are shooting at!
    Unwritten--I'm undefined... I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned..."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011123...ght-boy-coyote


    SHELBYVILLE, Ind. -- Authorities say a central Indiana man who allegedly shot and killed a 17-year-old boy from Flushing says he thought the teen was a coyote in a wooded area on his property. .......

    Bagley said he knows Spangler's father and had given him permission to play paintball on his property, but didn't know he and his four children were on his land Friday.


    The boy was home from school....no charges filed yet....
    This guy gave the father permission to play paintball-then clearly the father isn't going to play it just by himself. So why didn't this guy think that people might be on his property since he gave the father permission to play paintball. Boggles the mind.
    Just my opinion

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,278
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    This guy gave the father permission to play paintball-then clearly the father isn't going to play it just by himself. So why didn't this guy think that people might be on his property since he gave the father permission to play paintball. Boggles the mind.
    I think the permission was given for an earlier day. They assumed permission was open ended and returned Friday without notifying the land owner. It's a poorly written story.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    I think the permission was given for an earlier day. They assumed permission was open ended and returned Friday without notifying the land owner. It's a poorly written story.
    The guy shot at something that he apparently couldn't even see (since he says he believed he shot at coyote and it was teenager). Nobody has a business of shooting at something unless they know what that is. Especially considering he gave people permission to be on his property (even if he were not aware they were there on that specific day) one would think he could have figured out somebody other than coyotes could be on his property before he started shooting.
    Just my opinion

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,278
    He gave permission for 1 day not the rest of eternity. No charges filed - because what he did isn't illegal. It's a tragic accident. It could have been avoided had the paintballers told the owner of their presence. It's legal for him to shoot at whatever he wants to on his property, including trespassers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    He gave permission for 1 day not the rest of eternity. No charges filed - because what he did isn't illegal. It's a tragic accident. It could have been avoided had the paintballers told the owner of their presence. It's legal for him to shoot at whatever he wants to on his property, including trespassers.
    So you think you can just shoot anything that moves as long as its on your property? Wow. As for charges, they haven't finished an investigation yet. This guy could still be criminally charged.
    "Any time you shoot a bullet and you don't have a clear target, that is irresponsibility. That's not responsible gun handling," said Indiana Conservation Officer Angela Goldman. "You are responsible for ever single bullet that comes out of that firearm."
    http://www.theindychannel.com/news/30119121/detail.html
    Just my opinion

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,278
    He had a clear target, clear enough to hit it. He thought it was a coyote. The poor kid who got shot is more to blame than the shooter, because he didn't let him know he was there. You think you can just trespass when ever? WOW.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    He had a clear target, clear enough to hit it. He thought it was a coyote. The poor kid who got shot is more to blame than the shooter, because he didn't let him know he was there. You think you can just trespass when ever? WOW.
    Oh please. A teenager and a coyote look nothing alike. I hope they throw a book at this guy.
    Just my opinion


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020
    So the wages for trespassing is death? WOW!!

    The man did not know what he was shooting at and killed an innocent boy who had been given previous permission to be on the land. It does not matter if it was for one day or not. He should not have been killed due to a mere misunderstanding!

    I hope they throw the book at this guy...maybe some jail time will help him remember not to shot at something he can't even see....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    So the wages for trespassing is death? WOW!!

    The man did not know what he was shooting at and killed an innocent boy who had been given previous permission to be on the land. It does not matter if it was for one day or not. He should not have been killed due to a mere misunderstanding!

    I hope they throw the book at this guy...maybe some jail time will help him remember not to ....
    WOW yourself. He wasn't given permission to be on the land on that day WOW. WOW just make up your own facts why don't you? He won't even be charged. Wow oh wow. What misunderstanding? He should not have been killed - wow - great and true statement - that no one is arguing. He didn't have permission to be there that day and the land owner mistook him for a coyote - that's the story. Hope all you want, there won't be any charges. He saw his target and hit it. Wow you think he "shot at something he can't even see". Where in the story did it say he couldn't see it? He saw it - he hit it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    WOW yourself. He wasn't given permission to be on the land on that day WOW. WOW just make up your own facts why don't you? He won't even be charged. Wow oh wow. What misunderstanding? He should not have been killed - wow - great and true statement - that no one is arguing. He didn't have permission to be there that day and the land owner mistook him for a coyote - that's the story. Hope all you want, there won't be any charges. He saw his target and hit it. Wow you think he "shot at something he can't even see". Where in the story did it say he couldn't see it? He saw it - he hit it.
    I disagree that 'he saw it'.

    From the article it is very clear the man did NOT see the boy before shooting:

    "says he thought the teen was a coyote in a wooded area on his property." [IOW, he did not know whether it was a coyote or a boy]

    "He said he fired shots into woods on his property southeast of Indianapolis after hearing a disturbance he thought was a coyote attack." [he didn't SEE anything..he HEARD something and shot without knowing what he was shooting at]

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,385
    all my comments are just my opinion. jmho. moo. etc. etc.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    WOW yourself. He wasn't given permission to be on the land on that day WOW. WOW just make up your own facts why don't you? He won't even be charged. Wow oh wow. What misunderstanding? He should not have been killed - wow - great and true statement - that no one is arguing. He didn't have permission to be there that day and the land owner mistook him for a coyote - that's the story. Hope all you want, there won't be any charges. He saw his target and hit it. Wow you think he "shot at something he can't even see". Where in the story did it say he couldn't see it? He saw it - he hit it.
    Your arguments make no sense. You can not shoot people just because they show up on your property without your specific permission to be there (and that is completely ignoring the fact that the father had permission to play paintball on this guy's property). If a delivery man shows on you property delivering packages to you, do you think you can just shoot and kill them because they don't have your specific permission to be on you property? How about girl scouts trying to sell you some cookies?
    Just my opinion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2017, 06:55 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2016, 02:55 PM
  3. GUILTY NJ - Brandon Holt, 6, fatally shot by 4yo neighbor, Toms River, 8 April 2013
    By Reader in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2016, 02:25 AM
  4. GUILTY TX - Sgt. Kenneth Vann, 48, fatally shot, Bexar County, 28 May 2011
    By wfgodot in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2016, 02:53 AM

Tags for this Thread